PDA

View Full Version : [OT?] Shipping Rodinal

noogie
11-Mar-2011, 23:49
Hi!

Many online stores who sell Rodinal, refuse to ship it worldwide,

Why is it unsafe to ship Rodinal?

How can I safely ship some across the globe?

Eugene

Brian C. Miller
12-Mar-2011, 00:20
Hi, Eugene! Could you please update your profile to let us know where you area?

The following is from the Adox Adonal MSD sheet (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/msds/adox/Adox_Adonal_Film_Developer.pdf):
Contact with water liberates extremely flammable gases.
Spontaneously flammable in air.
Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed.
Harmful if swallowed.
Causes severe burns.
Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic
environment.
Possible risk of irreversible effects.

Stop bath is also ORMD restricted, as it's an acid. Sheesh. One of the guys at Glazer's Camera told me how it has to be shipped, and it was just ridiculous. I bet that vinegar (acetic acid) isn't shipped like that.

But that's the way life is.

Instead of trying to ship Rodinal, use something else. Have you tried Kodak Xtol? It's good stuff, and is safe to ship.

cdholden
12-Mar-2011, 05:41
Instead of trying to ship Rodinal, use something else. Have you tried Kodak Xtol? It's good stuff, and is safe to ship.

Xtol isn't the purple nectar that helps to give the look of days gone by. If you need something that can have a long shelf life after opening, Xtol isn't a good replacement for that either.
I don't know of any developer that works the same and keeps well over time. If there is one out there, I'd be happy to try it.

noogie
12-Mar-2011, 09:38
but, according to this (http://www.madsens.com.au/new/darkroom/Agfa_SDS/MSDS%20Rodinal%20Concentrate.pdf)

Fire Hazards
Not combustible. Aqueous solution.

Fire/Explosion Hazard
Hazardous
Decomposition
or Byproducts:
When heated to high temperatures, the product does not produce any known

I'm from Israel, if it helps...

I know XTOL is great, but I have a large amount of Tasma Film (9X12 format, pretty rare stuff) and Rodinal, apart from how awesome it is, is the only know/recommended developer for this film,
naturally I'll try different developers, but I want to have Rodinal in my arsenal.

Jim Noel
12-Mar-2011, 09:52
There is a possibility that the raw chemicals can be shipped if some are in individual packaging. Perhaps you should check that approach and mix it yourself. It is not that difficult.

Jay DeFehr
12-Mar-2011, 11:54
Hypercat has a few traits in common with Rodinal:

Both are single agent, highly concentrated developers with excellent keeping properties, and both are acutance developers that produce virtually no fog, but there are differences as well. Hypercat is kept in two separate solutions until diluted for use, it tans and stains for much increased acutance and decreased grain, and it uses sodium or potassium carbonate instead of sodium hydroxide as an alkali, so it can be shipped. The image below was made with a Kodak 2A folding camera adapted to use 120 film for 6x11 (+/-) format. I used TMY-2 developed in Hypercat 1:5:100, 12min, 70F, with 10 seconds agitation every 3 min. Landscapes are not my typical subject matter, but this format lends itself well to the landscape, I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jay_defehr/5505192693/lightbox/

I can't seem to insert the image, so I've pasted the URL.

noogie
12-Mar-2011, 12:18
Amazing!

Everybody, thanks for your help, please stay on subject,
How to ship it from A to B via normal shipping process
(e.g. USPS and other national postal agents) ?

But wait, there's a kicker, it already paid for...

Brian C. Miller
12-Mar-2011, 15:21
Xtol isn't the purple nectar that helps to give the look of days gone by. If you need something that can have a long shelf life after opening, Xtol isn't a good replacement for that either.
I don't know of any developer that works the same and keeps well over time. If there is one out there, I'd be happy to try it.

How long do you need a developer to stay active? I've stored a full plastic bottle of Xtol in my fridge for a year, and it was still good. Also, PMK pyro has a really long shelf life. I keep mine under the sink in the dark.

Back on topic:
Eugene, you say that you've already paid for this? So you have some somewhere but you need it shipped to you?
If the stuff isn't in the US, then perhaps someone could put it in their luggage and bring it when they come to see you.

OK, so you have a big stash of Soviet film. Don't worry, all developers will work on it. There's an entry in the Massive Dev Chart (http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php) for Tasma and D76 (aka ID11).

HMG
19-Mar-2011, 19:13
Rodinal is classified ORM-D (essentially mildly hazardous) and must be shipped surface in the US. I believe this is due to it's high alkalinity. I don't think you can ship from US to Israel via post with ORM-D. One exception might be if your shipper (not just the carrier) is licensed for hazardous materials and it is specially packaged.

noogie
20-Mar-2011, 00:52
Define
specially packaged