PDA

View Full Version : Hello from north coast BC, Canada

MurrayMinchin
5-Mar-2011, 11:23
Hello everybody!

New to this site, but recognize lots of names from APUG. I've been out of the saddle photography wise for a while, but am about to fire up a brand new darkroom in a couple months. Looking forward to siphoning off as much wisdom this site has to offer that's relevant to the way I work, and maybe get led down some otherwise unexpected tangents :)

Murray

Heroique
5-Mar-2011, 12:10
Looking forward to … getting led down some otherwise unexpected tangents.

Welcome from just down the coast, Murray.

“Unexpected tangents” – plenty of that here! :)

(And what does “APUG” mean? Is that Canadian?)

MurrayMinchin
5-Mar-2011, 13:00
(And what does “APUG” mean? Is that Canadian?)

Hi,

Analog Photographers Users Group (APUG) is a non-digital photography forum that has a really wide scope. I joined up here because it's LF specific.

Murray

Heroique
5-Mar-2011, 13:36
And I always thought it was a disreputable bar!

Thanks, I need to get out more.

:rolleyes:

Dave Aharonian
5-Mar-2011, 20:54
Greetings Murray, from the South Coast of BC!

Vick Vickery
5-Mar-2011, 21:42
Welcome to group therapy! :) There is a wealth of info to tap into here.

MurrayMinchin
5-Mar-2011, 22:59
Thanks Vic. Dave...really nice beach work on your website.

Murray

Joseph Dickerson
7-Mar-2011, 10:42
Hi from the central coast of California...

Well, it's the same ocean anyway.

Ann and I love your neck of the woods, in fact we've been coming up there almost summer for about 10 years. We usually visit Vancouver Island, last time as far north as Port Hardy. Trips center around kayaking, biking (think Galloping Goose) and photography.

Had a great time two years ago spending a week at Strathcona PP. Some of the most incredible kayaking we've ever done.

How far north are you? Ann and I have hopes of someday getting to Bella Coola and/or the Queen Charlottes.

Anyway, welcome to the family!

JD

Grif
7-Mar-2011, 12:46
I keep going to BC every couple of summers, and for some reason I end up getting sucked into Victoria every time ;-) Loved Lake Lousie years ago, Penticton on the way up, but just can't seem to get the car to go east any more. Really want to see Vancover, can't even get that far out of town.

Curt
7-Mar-2011, 12:54
Hello everybody!

New to this site, but recognize lots of names from APUG. I've been out of the saddle photography wise for a while, but am about to fire up a brand new darkroom in a couple months. Looking forward to siphoning off as much wisdom this site has to offer that's relevant to the way I work, and maybe get led down some otherwise unexpected tangents :)

Murray

Hi Murray I'm expanding my darkroom too. It got a little too small over the years.

Curt, also on APUG and other sites.

Dave Aharonian
7-Mar-2011, 21:02
Thanks Murray!

MurrayMinchin
8-Mar-2011, 07:40
How far north are you? Ann and I have hopes of someday getting to Bella Coola and/or the Queen Charlottes.

Hi JD,

I'm in Kitimat, at the head of a 60 mile system of channels from open water a tad down the coast from Prince Rupert and 32 miles south of Terrace by road. I call it the little town that sucks that's perched on the edge of Paradise :D

If you come this way let me know...maybe I could point you in the direction of some plum spots.

Murray

Joseph Dickerson
8-Mar-2011, 17:12
That would be ever so cool. I'll stand the first pint!

Won't be this year, we're doing a three month trip chasing (successfully, we hope) fall color from Montana/Wyoming southward to the Four Corners area.

But in 2012 we'd love to get to Goldstream PP for the salmon run in late Oct. or early Nov.

JD

Filmnut
8-Mar-2011, 17:55
Murray;
Sounds like a nice part of the country or photography. Welcome, lots of experienced users here to help, when need it.
Keith

Andrew O'Neill
9-Mar-2011, 08:21
A past colleague of mine teaches in Kitimat but not sure if she is still there and a very good friend of mine lives there and raves on and on about the place. One day I'll get up there...
Welcome aboard my fellow Canuck!

evan clarke
9-Mar-2011, 11:01
Hello Murray. Everybody else should listen closely when Murray posts info, He's turned me onto 2 of my best photo things, Wicked ice cleats (I have 3 pairs now) and the suwee pig warmer for print trays..the best thing in my darkroom except the fridge where the beer is...Evan Clarke

MurrayMinchin
10-Mar-2011, 07:48
Hi Evan!

Todays tip...cut tennis balls in half then cut a hole in the middle to stuff onto the bottoms of your tripod legs. Put the concave side facing down. Now your tripod legs won't sink too low when working in really deep snow.

Thank you, thank you so much. Please leave your gratuities in the bowl by the door on your way out :D

Wicked ice cleats;

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.php

Baby pig mat (also comes with a thermostatic control);

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_hog_management-ft1_brooders_heat_mats;pg106120.html

Murray

MurrayMinchin
10-Mar-2011, 08:12
...a very good friend of mine lives there and raves on and on about the place. One day I'll get up there...

I call it the little town that sucks which is perched on the edge of Paradise.

If you do come up here, make sure you drive down the Skeena River to Prince Rupert. One of the most amazing drives on Earth.

Murray

Eric Rose
10-Mar-2011, 09:10
Hy there Murray good to see you here.

Scott Walker
10-Mar-2011, 09:49
I call it the little town that sucks which is perched on the edge of Paradise.

Murray

I have always thought of it as a quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem :p
One of these summers I have got to venture north and take a month or so cruising the inside passage. I just seem to get stuck in the Gulf Islands every summer and don't want to leave.