PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with my scans/photoshop

vinny
4-Mar-2011, 16:02
Looking for help with optimizing my scans/photoshop

I'd like to learn more about getting the most out of my scanned film (e-6 mostly, some b+w and c41 as well) in the scanning stage and in photoshop. All of my b+w work is done in the darkroom. I process color film too but output is via lightjet.
I'm interested in proper photoshop dodge/burn techniques, blending 2 scans, working with layers, color correction, ie only things that apply to making fine art prints. While I get by with the knowledge I have, I know I can make better prints. I own/operate a drum scanner and I'm mostly self-taught with photoshop. I'd like to get some hands on instruction locally on an individual or group basis. I could take a class at the local community college but I'm afraid most of what their teaching won't apply to someone who shoots LF film and makes lightjet prints. I'm currently in los angeles but will be relocating to west michigan in a few months.

vinny

Ash
4-Mar-2011, 16:32
Can't help, but when I read the title I saw "Looking for help with my scams" :D

Jon Shiu
4-Mar-2011, 16:53
I can recommend Charles Cramer @ Ansel Adams workshops for that type of stuff.

Jon

Henry Ambrose
4-Mar-2011, 17:04
I can probably help.
Shoot me an email if you want.
Its on my website which can be found in my signature here.

vinny
5-Mar-2011, 15:30
Charles Cramer was on my list but due to timing, I don't think that's gonna happen.

Bruce Watson
6-Mar-2011, 07:38
Have a look at George DeWolfe's Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop. (http://www.amazon.com/George-DeWolfes-Digital-Photography-Workshop/dp/0072260874/sr=8-1/qid=1164721341/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7101571-6075144?ie=UTF8&s=books) He also teaches a workshop (http://www.georgedewolfe.com/dfp.html) by the same name.

Lenny Eiger
6-Mar-2011, 11:02
I'd like to get some hands on instruction locally on an individual or group basis. I could take a class at the local community college but I'm afraid most of what their teaching won't apply to someone who shoots LF film and makes lightjet prints. I'm currently in los angeles but will be relocating to west michigan in a few months.
vinny

I'm sure there is someone in LA who could help, but if you want to zip up to the Bay Area, I could go thru the entire workflow with you. I am not teaching classes at the moment, but I do teach one-on-one workshops. It's the best way to target a class to one person's level and their needs.

Contact me offline if you're interested...

Lenny

EigerStudios
eiger@eigerstudios.com
707-763-5922

Joseph Dickerson
6-Mar-2011, 16:26
Vinny,

Half way between LA and SF is Los Osos and Light Photographic Workshops (formally: The Lepp Institute of Digital Photography). They have an amazing list of instructors and class offerings. I believe they offer weekend workshops and Webinars as well.

They emphasize digital capture but you might find something that covers both scanning and Photoshop workflow. Hal Schmitt, Tim Grey, and Sean Duggan are all incredible instructors. I believe that Marc Meunch also teaches there on occasion.

I just bought a book from Rocky Nook publishing by Marc Meunch while viewing his show at the Wildling Museum in Los Olivos, Ca. He discusses his digital workflow with tons of fantastic illustrations, including images from the show. The show is up until May 8, by the way.

The book is the best $40 I ever spent on digital photo books. Some of the images are from chromes, although I haven't had the book long enough, I got it yesterday, to know if Marc discusses scanning workflow.

If you use Silverfast scanning software the the book Silverfast:The Official Guide by Taz Tally might be useful.

JD

vinny
8-Mar-2011, 21:26
thanks for the replies. I'm waiting for a reply from an experienced local but I'll try to keep this thread alive until then.