PDA

View Full Version : Guide for buying old lenses?

andreios
4-Mar-2011, 11:38
First of all, if these questions I am just about to post are too stupid, forgive me.

I've been thinking for several weeks now about getting a companion to my only LF lens. I have a 150mm Fujinon, which is nice, but looking at those soft-ish images that many of you post, I've been lusting for a nice old piece of glass (and brass).
I've been browsing that auction thing the other day and was wondering - how might I possibly know, whether the lens would cover the 4x5 format? Is it possible to guess how would one or another lens "behave"?

Therefore my main question is - is there anything like a guide to old lenses or a concentrated piece of advice to help llamas like me to pick up their first old lenses?

Thank you for any hint or tip.

a.

Emil Schildt
4-Mar-2011, 12:43
a very good place to start:

http://www.antiquecameras.net/

and

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html

eddie
4-Mar-2011, 13:53
post a wanted to buy in the classifieds here.
1 state what you want to shoot.
2 your camera (lens board size consideration must be address as many of the "modern" cameras have fairly small lens boards)
3 format you shoot.

most lenses that are 7 to 8 inches in focal length will cover 4x5 easily.

some of the best values IMO is the imagon lenses. they are very good and can be had for under $600 for ones that cover 4x5.

not really fuzzy but a rapid rectilinear or aplanat lens would be a good choice as well. they are small usually f8 and relatively cheap. again for 4x5 you should be able to find some really nice ones for under $200.

with more info people will be able to advise you better.

lenser
4-Mar-2011, 14:04
I've often found this kind of information by using Google and just naming the lens and series (such as Caltar II 90mm f5.6) and the word "coverage".

If a company is still in business, their web site will likely have a route to this same information.

Also, many old lenses are listed in their original catalogs through the info section at www.cameraeccentric.com. Most of those catalogs include data charts with at least the size film film that a specific lens covers, if not the actual range in mm's. Keep in mind that this is often listed as maximum coverage which is usually figured at f22. Larger apertures offer somewhat less coverage. If you are looking at a lens like the old Ektars, if you wee "WF" listed on the lens, that means it has a wider field of coverage, and therefore more range for movements, than the same focal length without the WF listing.

mdm
4-Mar-2011, 14:14
Don't. And that is the best advice anyone will ever give you. Remember that when you you have a dozen or more wonderful lenses that you never use.

andreios
4-Mar-2011, 14:59
Don't. And that is the best advice anyone will ever give you. Remember that when you you have a dozen or more wonderful lenses that you never use.

It's quite unpleasant an advice, therefore perhaps really the best one.. :)

But thanks to others as well.

I don't think I want anything "very swirly" since I don't do almost any portraits (although I'd actually love to), I find myself taking pictures of details of things, buildings, sculptures.. also a wee bit of landscape and architecture (which is quite unavoidable in Prague) and of course many trees.. All this with my 4x5 sinar.

eddie
4-Mar-2011, 15:04

you ONLY have a dozen! *gasp*

as much as i hate to admit i think dave is right.....i have top say i was out playing with that veritar today though.....all i need ot do it get off my a$$ and get developing.....

Scotty230358
4-Mar-2011, 15:27
Keep an eye out for posts by Jim Galli. He sold me a very nice meniscus lens in a modern copal shutter. He is a great chap to deal with. My meniscus produces picutres like this: -

Steven Tribe
4-Mar-2011, 16:14
Yes, you can't go wrong with the shuttered meniscus lenses that Jim Galli has on offer.
Do you have a sinar copal shutter to fit on your 4x5 Sinar? That would reduce your cost in the long run and make a lot of cheap barrel lenses available for (thrilling and successfull) experiments.

mdm
4-Mar-2011, 16:44
you ONLY have a dozen! *gasp*

as much as i hate to admit i think dave is right.....i have top say i was out playing with that veritar today though.....all i need ot do it get off my a$$ and get developing.....

No, maybe 1/2 that. Sanity prevailed.

CCHarrison
4-Mar-2011, 16:47
If you want to pop for $ 14.99, the Lens Collectors Vade Mecum (http://antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html)is worthwhile.

Dan

Mark Sawyer
4-Mar-2011, 17:02
An hour spent poking around Jim Galli's website would be time well spent. He has many comparisons and comments on the different lenses, and the best information comes from people who use them. In that regard, this forum is also a wonderful resource. (We're probably the ones who corrupted you in the first place! :) )

Ramiro Elena
4-Mar-2011, 17:03
Check the "Image sharing" section in this forum aswell as the "lenses and accessories" for a while. When you see something you like, check Flickr for more images of the like and read the catalogs at Camera Eccentric.
Beware of GAS and try to shoot more than follow lenses on eBay.

Mark Sawyer
4-Mar-2011, 18:16
Beware of GAS and try to shoot more than follow lenses on eBay.

Nonsense! Take a lesson from garlic-lovers and embrace GAS, (even if your wife hates you for it...)

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Mar-2011, 19:06
When you get to 30 lenses or so come back and ask us! Marks advice is great. Check out the posts of the images you like and go on the hunt. Do some homework! This is how we have all done it!