PDA

View Full Version : Shutter size determination: How?

Pawlowski6132
3-Mar-2011, 10:25
I have a pair of lens cells and I need a shutter. My research is providing conflicting information. What is the best way to measure and determine which is the correct shutter size for me?

thanx in advance,

Joe

IanG
3-Mar-2011, 10:45
First it would be useful to let us know what the cells are - as much detail as possible, what lens, FL, aperture, serial number etc. There's a good chance that someone else here might have a similar lens/set of cells and give you an answer straight away.

Ian

I have a pair of lens cells and I need a shutter. My research is providing conflicting information. What is the best way to measure and determine which is the correct shutter size for me?

thanx in advance,

Joe

Pawlowski6132
3-Mar-2011, 10:50
Duh, of course.
:o

Totally forgot...

Schneider K. 240/420 Symmar Convertible.

First it would be useful to let us know what the cells are - as much detail as possible, what lens, FL, aperture, serial number etc. There's a good chance that someone else here might have a similar lens/set of cells and give you an answer straight away.

Ian

Mark Sampson
3-Mar-2011, 10:55
SK Grimes has an excellent page on remounting lenses with a what-fits-what chart.

Carsten Wolff
3-Mar-2011, 10:56
I had a 240mm convertible Symmar once briefly, in a Copal #3; Apparently some of the older ones came in a Compur #2. If you measure the diameter of the the mounting threads and they come up as 58mm, you're home and hosed for a Copal 3 (not the 3S, which has 56mm threads).
There now, I'm sure Google would have solved that for you in 30secs flat as well. :)

IanG
3-Mar-2011, 11:02
I have one somewhere, mine is in a Compur 3, not sure if there where any variations though.

Ian

Frank_E
3-Mar-2011, 11:04
mine is in compur #2

Pawlowski6132
3-Mar-2011, 11:17
Hey LOOK (http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/index.htm)at what I found!

I looked up the "Google" on Bing!, tried it; pretty cool.

Pawlowski6132
3-Mar-2011, 18:18
Damn. The element threads are 45mm; a Compur 2.

Len Middleton
4-Mar-2011, 09:25
SK Grimes has an excellent page on remounting lenses with a what-fits-what chart.

If you only need shutter dimensions, you do not have to go too far from home. :D

See: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/shutters.html , although it does not list dimensions for the Compur 2

Steve Hamley
6-Mar-2011, 08:30
There's more than one Compur #2 IIRC. The ones for the 180mm f/4.5 Xenar were larger than the ones for the Symmar.

Cheers, Steve