PDA

View Full Version : Violin

stradibarrius
2-Mar-2011, 08:27
I have just started shooting LF and this is my first violin photo with my CC-400 4x5. The movements make it easier to get the "look" what ever that is. I am exploring the new possibilities.
CC-400 4x5, Schneider 90mm f/5.6, FP4, HC-110 1+50 9 min.

Richard Wasserman
2-Mar-2011, 08:43
You're off to a great start. I think the shadow at the bottom is a bit too heavy as it obscures what is obviously a beautiful instrument—a little more delicate touch with the lighting would accentuate its sensuous curves. I look forward to seeing more!

Mick Noordewier
2-Mar-2011, 08:52
I like your photograph very much as it is. Rather than a clinical rendering of the entire instrument, your photograph depicts the violin's form emerging into the light.

Nicely seen!

-Mick

Louie Powell
2-Mar-2011, 09:08
I agree with Richard that the shadow at the bottom is too dark. And I think I would have preferred to see the other side of the violin.

sultanofcognac
2-Mar-2011, 11:57
The lines and texture are stunning. Do you have any more shots of the violin? I'd like to see where you go with it from there.

jk

Tintype Bob
2-Mar-2011, 12:35
I wish I was as good as you when I first started, keep up the good work and shoot a lot

Gary Beasley
2-Mar-2011, 13:58
Not bad Barry!

William McEwen
2-Mar-2011, 14:17
I think I would have preferred to see the other side of the violin.

The back is interesting. No law says you must only show the strings side.

Brian C. Miller
2-Mar-2011, 15:07
This is a really good start! Good use of lighting and shadows. From what I observe, the shadow is unavoidable when using a single light source or no reflector. The only thing I would suggest is pull the light back a bit. The grain in the highlights is washed out a bit.

The violin looks as if it is floating, which I think is rather nice.

stradibarrius
2-Mar-2011, 15:42
The violin is still under construction so there is no neck or strings on it yet. Mick was on the right track, it is emerging,
Thanks for the encouragement.

Scott Walker
2-Mar-2011, 16:06
I'm teaming up with Mick on this one, I think it is exceptional the way it is. Thoroughly enjoyed going through the images on your web site as well, beautiful instruments.

Roger Cole
2-Mar-2011, 16:11
I agree with Mick, Scott etc, very nice!

imagedowser
2-Mar-2011, 16:26
Strad, Nice instrument "in the white".... I take it, you are building this one? If so, we should talk... Hard to make an image of something so "evolved" and beautiful, as yet silent, without it's voice being heard in the mind's eye... beautiful work. Bill

stradibarrius
2-Mar-2011, 16:32
Hey bill thank you. I make violins for a living so I understand what you are saying. they each have their own voice as they are being made. I can tell a lot about each instrument just by how it sounds when I rub my hand over it.
Feel free to call.

Heroique
2-Mar-2011, 16:42
The violin’s abrupt emergence from black might distract some people (like me), but the backside’s sensuous convexity is what makes this photo a success.

I hope people here have more images like this to share.

Vaughn
2-Mar-2011, 17:30
Very nicely done!

Of course if I had done it, it would have been as a carbon print -- same black as the original, but the lower edge of the violin would have "seen" only as a change in the relief (thickness of the emulsion) and visible only is the light hit it at the correct angle.

But I did not make it, will not make it, and don't need to make it since you did such a wonderful job the first time!

Vaughn

Brian Vuillemenot
2-Mar-2011, 21:32
Nice shot! You've inspired me- I've been meaning to make some closeup pictures of my prized guitars for some time, but haven't got to it yet. Anyone have any other LF violin or guitar images?

Curt
2-Mar-2011, 21:51
You make musical instruments buy haven't made an 8x10 view camera, what's wrong here?

Nice photo, I agree it would be a nice first photo in a Carbon Transfer series.

Think 8x10!

If you make a camera you might not have to use a full set of cabinet scrapers to do it.

rdenney
3-Mar-2011, 06:23
I love close pictures of parts of musical instruments. They reflect the aesthetic sensibilities of the person who made it, and some of those sensibilities cannot help but merge with the photographer's. Doing many photos of my own instrument collection is on my long-term project list, but not of violins (which I do not own).

Violins beg to be seen as a dramatic landscape, and you have captured that nicely. I particularly like the contrast provided by the purfling.

An orchestra acquaintance of mine from many years ago is a well-regarded violin-maker. I have lost touch with him, but I gather he lives in the Pacific northwest now. He was trained in Cremona, and as part of his training and for his future reference, he made a series of photographs of several Stradivarius, Amati, and Guarneri violins that he could get access to while in Italy. He used a Hasselblad, and he projects the resulting transparencies using a Rollei medium-format projector. His photos are stunning. He also used dramatic lighting and a black shadowed background to raise the undulations of the landscape beautifully. Of course, his photos were in color, which really showed the depth of grain, though only for instruments after they are finished, of course.

I think your photo posted here is wonderfully subtle, but I myself might not be able to resist the temptation to supplement this representation with one that adds a bit of drama with some filtration to separate the tones in the grain, especially if the wood is currently without a finish. I'm thinking a green filter might be a place to start--it would darken the red bits more than the yellow bits.

One of my first large-format images (with my own equipment--not including stuff I did in college), now lost, was a Polaroid of a tuba. I wish that early experiment had displayed a hundredth of the artistry this photo shows.

Rick "impressed by both photo and subject" Denney

jmooney
3-Mar-2011, 06:46
Beautiful! Learning to play the violin is on my "list."

stradibarrius
3-Mar-2011, 06:50
I have hundreds of violin and guitar photos I have taken. But since I have just discovered LF, they are all in 35mm, MF and digital. I routinely make photos for my customers. They enjoy seeing their violins being created so in this case digital has a place.
For me the curvature of guitars and instruments in the violin family are very seductive. The have shoulders, waist and hips so in a way it is like trying to shoot a fine art nude of a woman.
I am encouraged that you folks have responded so kindly. The large format camera is helping me to view the subject a bit different than I have in the past.
I am going to need help and advice. Thanks.

rdenney
3-Mar-2011, 07:07
For me the curvature of guitars and instruments in the violin family are very seductive. The have shoulders, waist and hips so in a way it is like trying to shoot a fine art nude of a woman.

My tuba looks like a woman, too. But she wears horns and sings ear-splitting mezzo-soprano songs about Wotan. Not necessarily seductive, but ignored only at one's extreme peril.

Rick "thinking the photographic approach might need to be more architectural and less organic" Denney

William McEwen
3-Mar-2011, 09:13
Anyone have any other LF violin or guitar images?

Hey, Brian:

A few things here

http://www.bwphotopro.com/Site/Classical_8x10_B%26W.html

but they're attached to people.

All 8x10 Wisner.

cjbroadbent
3-Mar-2011, 10:16
There's a Guarnerius here (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9Rh2tXCIB9I7Oyv4AE-4jA?feat=directlink). Shoe for the Italian Trade Commission New York, fiddle and props from La Scala Museum, Milan.

Sirius Glass
3-Mar-2011, 16:19
Stradi just loves to harp on violins! :p

Steve

Brad Rippe
3-Mar-2011, 17:57
I agree with Curt, you could build an amazing 8 by 10 camera. Your photograph is beautiful, so is the subject!
Good Luck,
-Brad

Roger Cole
3-Mar-2011, 18:20
Maybe also a device to use the camera, once built, as an 8x10 enlarger. Such has been done in the past.

Michael Nelson
12-Mar-2011, 11:30
An image with a violin...

It was taken such a long time ago: Most likely Kodak E-100, either a Fujinon 150mm or 210mm lens.

stradibarrius
12-Mar-2011, 13:04
Nice image Michael! Have have thought about doing something along those lines with one of my violins.

Donald Miller
12-Mar-2011, 20:40
An image with a violin...

It was taken such a long time ago: Most likely Kodak E-100, either a Fujinon 150mm or 210mm lens.

Very fine.

JR Steel
13-Mar-2011, 22:51
While not an art photo, an exposure test actually, this is my personal instrument. It is approximately 120 years old and had machine tuners on it at one time. Hence the short pegs in enlarged holes in the scroll. It is not worth anything but has a very sweet upper-mid register. I played a 50th wedding anniversary today.

Stradi your photo is engaging. The flaming of the unfinished instrument is beautiful.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5524907997_e3393da334_b.jpg

Toyo 45AII, 120mm, Tmax 400-2, Rollo Pyro

rdenney
14-Mar-2011, 07:04
While not an art photo, an exposure test actually, this is my personal instrument. It is approximately 120 years old and had machine tuners on it at one time. Hence the short pegs in enlarged holes in the scroll. It is not worth anything but has a very sweet upper-mid register. I played a 50th wedding anniversary today.

Stradi your photo is engaging. The flaming of the unfinished instrument is beautiful.

Toyo 45AII, 120mm, Tmax 400-2, Rollo Pyro

What is the piano in that photo? It looks to be as old as the 'cello. That sharp corner on the near side is a real Victorian trademark.

Rick "who has a Hazelton Bros. piano, ca. 1886, with a similar feature" Denney

JR Steel
14-Mar-2011, 17:34
What is the piano in that photo? It looks to be as old as the 'cello. That sharp corner on the near side is a real Victorian trademark.

Rick "who has a Hazelton Bros. piano, ca. 1886, with a similar feature" Denney

Hi Rick. It's is a Baldwin SF10 about 30 years old, my wife's instrument. She is the real musician in the house.

rdenney
15-Mar-2011, 06:11
Hi Rick. It's is a Baldwin SF10 about 30 years old, my wife's instrument. She is the real musician in the house.

I must be confusing the shape I'm seeing, then. No modern piano would have the detail I thought I was seeing.

Rick "pondering a little studio work on musical instruments because of this thread" Denney

Heroique
15-Mar-2011, 12:47
While not an art photo...

This room is, everywhere, filled w/ wooden lines & wooden curves, including the straight (but rounded) logs. A very pleasing harmony. I’ll go out on a limb and call it an art photo. ;)

BTW, I thought the illusive piano bench was upholstered in a musical score design!