PDA

View Full Version : RB Graflex Series B

Ash
25-Feb-2011, 12:03
Accidentally bought myself what I believe to be a 5x4 RB Graflex Series B. On the auction page it's said (and looks) to be excellent condition and working.

The item has a film/plate holder on the back of it, so I have a starting point although I'm aware these have slits and usually held plates or film+shim.

Has anyone successfully modified the back of the camera to a regular Graflok or spring back?

I have a spare Sinar graflok-style, and also a b&j spring back, both a bit scrappy looking for use. Unless there's an easier way, I was planning on attaching one of them to the back and shimming the ground glass in the viewer to match.

Alternatively, if anyone in the UK has a stack of 5x4 graflex holders and wants to swap them for regular DDS let me know :)

ethics_gradient
25-Feb-2011, 13:26
Yes, it can (and has been) done - like you say, the ground glass will need to be reshimmed. I have an Auto Graflex that's going to undergo a similar operation, I need to cut down the Graflok (came off a Speed Graphic and is too tall to fit on the rotating back as-is) and tap new screw holes, in addition to overhauling the shutter.

The 4x5 Graflex holders aren't really that hard to find (but try finding the 5x7's, ugh), the main allure of swapping the backs is using a Graflok, which can take rollfilm and Polaroid holders, or just being able to maintain one system of 4x5 holders. I'd probably skip the spring back unless it was a lot easier to fit on or you didn't plan on using Polaroid/rollfilm holders.

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Feb-2011, 13:47
Yes, it can (and has been) done - like you say, the ground glass will need to be reshimmed. I have an Auto Graflex that's going to undergo a similar operation, I need to cut down the Graflok (came off a Speed Graphic and is too tall to fit on the rotating back as-is) and tap new screw holes, in addition to overhauling the shutter.

The 4x5 Graflex holders aren't really that hard to find (but try finding the 5x7's, ugh), the main allure of swapping the backs is using a Graflok, which can take rollfilm and Polaroid holders, or just being able to maintain one system of 4x5 holders. I'd probably skip the spring back unless it was a lot easier to fit on or you didn't plan on using Polaroid/rollfilm holders.

I have only five of the slotted Graflex holders. They are somewhat harder to find than the regular Graphic holders. What I really like is the 12 shot bag-mag. It really gives you a lot of bang for the buck. There is also a Grafmatic holder for the Graflex back, it is part number 1168. The Graflok conversions I have seen do not have the rotating back.

Ash
25-Feb-2011, 14:19
The spring back pieces will be lighter and potentially easier to fix onto the camera. The graflok style will be more effective as I paid out a small sum for a 6x12 holder I've not even used yet.

By the looks of it I could place a 1mm shim on the old back (including a slit to lock the holder, and felt light trap) and use the excess area on the perimeter to build up a welled shape like a typical spring/graflok back.

Mostly thoughts at the moment. The camera won't be here til Tuesday.