PDA

View Full Version : Norton antivirus warning

Tony Lakin
24-Feb-2011, 09:12
Hi
I am not sure where I should post this but I am getting a 'suspicious webpage warning' for this site on both Internet Explorer and Firefox, started this morning, is there a problem? In Explorer I am able to ignore the warning by clicking on 'visit this web page anyway', however Firefox will not allow me to do this either.

lecarp
24-Feb-2011, 09:19
Tony, I am running Norton and the Fox and am not having any problems.

Tony Lakin
24-Feb-2011, 09:27
Tony, I am running Norton and the Fox and am not having any problems.

Hi
Thanks for that, just noticed it only happens with yhis page

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

BrianShaw
24-Feb-2011, 09:27
No problem for me with Norton and IE.

I've seen that in the past and came to the conclusion that in my case it mgiht have been a bogus message pushed by someone selling some other AV software. Unfortunately I can't recall why I came to that conclusion or what I did to make it stop.

BillyBB
24-Feb-2011, 12:40
No problems here with Norton/IE

Scotty230358
24-Feb-2011, 15:27
No problems with Firefox and AVG

Tony Lakin
24-Feb-2011, 15:34
OK with Explorer now, no change with Firefox, strange:confused:

Shen45
24-Feb-2011, 16:20
No problems with Linux.
Oh that's right, that is the answer -- the question was about windows?

Robert Jonathan
24-Feb-2011, 20:11
No problem with the latest versions of Firefox and Norton Antivirus 2010.

Note: I'm only using plain old Norton "Antivirus", which sits quietly and does it's job, but doesn't interfere with any operations or cpu performance. I am NOT using the "Norton Internet Security" package, or whatever it's called these days.

The Internet Security suites are pains in the ass, and cause a lot of problems.

I'm a computer technician, and I see people's computers have lots of trouble with these security software packages because the default settings are designed to annoy the crap out of you. :)

Nathan Smith
24-Feb-2011, 20:51
I have not, historically, been a fan of Microsoft ... but their free new "Security Essentials" seems to pretty good, definitely worth the asking price anyway. I dumped Symantec and so far haven't had any problems with "Security Essentials" - and it caught an issue that Symantec never noticed.

Tony Lakin
25-Feb-2011, 01:32
No problem with the latest versions of Firefox and Norton Antivirus 2010.

Note: I'm only using plain old Norton "Antivirus", which sits quietly and does it's job, but doesn't interfere with any operations or cpu performance. I am NOT using the "Norton Internet Security" package, or whatever it's called these days.

The Internet Security suites are pains in the ass, and cause a lot of problems.

I'm a computer technician, and I see people's computers have lots of trouble with these security software packages because the default settings are designed to annoy the crap out of you. :)

Thanks for the info:) , I am using the "Norton Internet Security" package which I updated to the latest version a couple of days ago, maybe thats my problem? I have also recently installed the Windows security package could there be a conflict?

Tony Lakin
25-Feb-2011, 01:40
I have just tried Firefox again and here I am, No warnings, maybe it was the little green men:confused: , perhaps the man from Tonapah could advise:D

Sevo
25-Feb-2011, 02:01
Virustotal says the site is clean. You may want to check whether you hit a hostile site in some other window - cross-site scripting attacks sometimes get misattributed.

Deane Johnson
25-Feb-2011, 07:35
I have not, historically, been a fan of Microsoft ... but their free new "Security Essentials" seems to pretty good, definitely worth the asking price anyway. I dumped Symantec and so far haven't had any problems with "Security Essentials" - and it caught an issue that Symantec never noticed.
My computer tech put Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer, which uses Firefox, several months ago. Smooth, effective, non-intrusive. It's like it isn't there.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft in the least, but this seems to work well.

PViapiano
25-Feb-2011, 08:44
Off thread....has anyone had any problems in the last month with Alan Ross's site? The last time I visited, a virus implanted itself immediately. I was able to rid the computer of it within the hour, but it was a pain. Either it was some kind of hack on his site that some a%%h!@#$ put there or it was a timed thing that just so happened to activate at the moment I visited. Using IE8 and PC.

I'd love to go back there again, but am being cautious.

Sinar-Man
26-Feb-2011, 07:08
OK with Explorer now, no change with Firefox, strange:confused:
I thought you said it was an issue with Norton rather than your browsers?
I use a Mac with Firefox and Safari with no problems.

I had Norton on my Windows laptop once and it was crap. Get AVG free and Malwarebytes which is a one-off payment and you're well covered.

srbphoto
26-Feb-2011, 13:14
Don't run both anti viruses. They don't like that (especially Norton). Security Essentials seems to be a good program. I am trying it on a netbook before installing it on my main pc.
I don't trust AVG (at least the free version). Most of the virus removals I have to deal with are running AVG free.

photobymike
26-Feb-2011, 15:53
I spent years in the PC world. I am retired Novel and Microsoft network engineer. I started with Heathkit PC kit in 86 ...

About a year ago i bought an APPLE MACINTOSH G5 quad for 500 bucks... wow wow not only is it faster than any PC i have ever used. I dont worry about viruses, i dont even have a virus program. And It runs my old PC monitor.

Just an out of the box suggestion to your Norton warning and virus concerns. If you can afford it try a MAC just try it..... it just works ... all the time

Filmnut
26-Feb-2011, 18:29
I usually use a Mac with either Safari, or Firefox, with no problems. I sometimes use the family PC, but have not had any issues on that either.
Keith

Jan Pedersen
2-Mar-2011, 06:28
Last night browsing on the Forum my IE stopped working. After several reboot i gave up and started looking for PC and virus support from my Iphone.
Found Iyoga and after consulting with them desided to give them a go. It took about an hour of clean-up but IE is again working, don't know for how long but i hope the problem is resolved.
I believe the problem started while in the Image Sharing and Discussion thread.

tom thomas
14-Mar-2011, 07:29
I also had problems the last week of February with Internet Explorer after getting some messages about virus, etc. I really think it was a problem with Internet Explorer security updates from Microsoft. I couldn't open IE but I was able to access Microsoft update page to install the latest patches for Win/7 and IE8. I have Norton and it detected the virus problem which I think was a bug in IE instead.

Tom