PDA

View Full Version : Denver, Co, --The Camera Obscura Gallery, Hal

Raymond Bleesz
23-Feb-2011, 20:04
A sad day it is for Denver, Colorado & the Rocky Mountains--Hal Gould, the Director & Curator of The Camera Obscura Gallery of Fine Art Photography, is closing his doors at the end of April. The "Sage of Colorado Photography" is hanging up his cowboy hat who was born in Clark, Wyoming in 1920 and believes he needs to concentrate at this time in his elderly life on his acquisitions and personal work which is quite extensive as he is a worldly traveler.

Gould, who initially co-founded the Colorado Photographic Arts Center in 1963, and who went on to create his Camera Obscura Gallery in 1976---showing works ranging from Mathew Brady to Bert Stern, to Phillipe Halsman, August Sanders, Howard Bond, Ruth Berhard, Robert Capa, Andre Kertez, Salgado, Ansel Adams et al. Early in his gallery career, he was selling Adams & Weston prints for $25 dollars. Hal was responsible for the first showing of S. Sagado's prints in America. Considered the First Fine Art Photographic Gallery West of the Mississippi, Gould's gallery hung the best internationally as well as local honchos & gals as he was a firm believer & supporter in those who practiced the photographic medium, named or unnamed.

On a personal note, I was totally "green" when I first presented Hal my first portfolio in 1976. I remember it quite well. Hal, in his typical dress, being cowboy boots, western leather vest, and his signiature bolo tie, took out a pair of white gloves, and leafed through my bw porfolio, making comments, suggestions, pausing for thoughts and giving encouragement. He was my mentor over the years, and I'm sure he has been mentors for many others. I enjoy his prints in my home. His presence will be missed by us all. It was such inspiration to see him, to talk to him, and see photographic art on his gallery walls--a walking encyclopedia on photographic history.

The Camera Obscura Gallery will be hosting special events leading up to it closure.
(www.cameraobscuragallery.com)

And Hal's departing comments are: "Art is in the artist, not the medium" and "Happy Trails"

Raymond A. Bleesz
Edwards, Colo

al olson
24-Feb-2011, 15:51
It is an unfortunate loss. Back in the days when I was living in Denver I would visit the Denver Art Museum and stop by The Camera Obscura Gallery, which sat on the corner next to the DAM. Since moving from Denver I still visit the gallery whenever I am in town.

A 'heads up' for anyone passing through the territory, the Open Shutter Gallery in Durango (CO) is showing the work of Hal Gould through March 17.

John T
24-Feb-2011, 16:05
After that, Hal's work, along with Loretta Young-Gautier, will be the final show at Camera Obscura. Sad to see it close, but nice to see that Hal will be able to devote time to getting all his things in order.

Eric Biggerstaff
25-Feb-2011, 18:46
I heard about this a couple of weeks ago and was sad to learn of it. Hal spent a bit of time going over my work and providing direction. He is a great person and was always willing to listen and help. Loretta is great as well and I hope she does well on her own. I will miss both of them. Hopefully a lot of us will make it to the final get together to say thanks.

Thanks for posting.

Kirk Gittings
25-Feb-2011, 20:59
I'm sad to see this. I wasn't a regular but stopped in a few times over the years and saw some nice work.

ziplock122949
16-May-2011, 01:47
Never got to stop by. I always seem to find stuff like this close by, but after the end.