PDA

View Full Version : Rodinal replacement?

Gary Tarbert
17-Feb-2011, 05:03
I for many years used Rodinal exclusively for my film devolopment .
With the demise of Agfa can anyone suggest a replacement with the same properties
or where i may get some Rodinal if at all still available.
I have settled on Fuji acros 100 as my film but i have only developed in 120roll in Rodinal (loved this combo). Cheers Gary

uhner
17-Feb-2011, 05:10
You can still get Rodinal, albeit under a different name: http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/fotochemie/schwarzweiss-filmentwickler/adox-adonal-500-ml-nach-rodinal-original-rezeptur.html

engl
17-Feb-2011, 05:52
From what I understand, the one issue with Rodinal replacements is their packaging. The bottles are not of the same quality as what Agfa used, and they are not filled under a gas (which keeps the oxygen out).

Im using Calbe R09 which is also a type of Rodinal. Great results, but I have read much about the poor packaging reducing shelf life. In glass bottles filled under inert gas, with rubber stopper, it lasts forever.

Collas
17-Feb-2011, 06:04
I've never seen Rodinal in a glass bottle. I've used it, very occasionally, over twenty or so years and it always came in a plastic bottle.

Nick

David de Gruyl
17-Feb-2011, 06:28
Compard "R09 One Shot" or Adox Adonal are supposed to be the same as Rodinal. I don't know how these compare to each other, the original, or other R09 formulations. I would suggest a film test, but I use R09 One Shot and get consistent results and have not noticed any departure.

Roger Cole
17-Feb-2011, 06:39
Couldn't you pour it into your own glass bottle and top off with that inert gas spray then seal?

Gary Tarbert
17-Feb-2011, 06:50
Thanks Claus, Now i must get some to Australia with all our regulation i am sure there will be a law against just buying it on the internet (it will be classified as a dangerous chemical). Cheers Gary

IanG
17-Feb-2011, 07:17
From what I understand, the one issue with Rodinal replacements is their packaging. The bottles are not of the same quality as what Agfa used, and they are not filled under a gas (which keeps the oxygen out).

Im using Calbe R09 which is also a type of Rodinal. Great results, but I have read much about the poor packaging reducing shelf life. In glass bottles filled under inert gas, with rubber stopper, it lasts forever.

Rodinal is still made & packaged in exactly the same bottles, the issue with the name change is due mainly to J&C registering the Rodinal name in the US. As the trade name belongs to Agfa who pulled out of the photographic market they've no interest in clearing the legal issues and so the name had to change, so while it's made in the same factory as before in bulk it's made in batches for various distributors who put their own new names on the packaging.

The Calbe.Orwo RO9 is the older formula but has itself been altered, just the concentration so that it's dilutions match the Compard/Adox version, it does not keeps as well as the formula is slightly older & packaging not as good.

Ian

JamesFromSydney
17-Feb-2011, 07:36
Thanks Claus, Now i must get some to Australia with all our regulation i am sure there will be a law against just buying it on the internet (it will be classified as a dangerous chemical). Cheers Gary

Vanbar appear to sell it here.

engl
17-Feb-2011, 09:40
I've never seen Rodinal in a glass bottle. I've used it, very occasionally, over twenty or so years and it always came in a plastic bottle.

Nick

It did come in glass bottles way back, but after that it came packaged in plastic bottles. The difference with the "substitute" packaging and old Agfa Rodinal bottles is the plastic used (high quality PE), as well as the inert gas filling.

And yes, the problems I talked about refer only to some of the "substitutes". It is very well possible that identical Rodinal from the same factory, using the same bottles, is still sold.

seabird
17-Feb-2011, 14:09
Vanbar appear to sell it here.

I've also previously sourced it from Photo Reisel in Sydney and Les Porter in Newcastle. It would be worth flicking an email to Les to see whether he stilll has some. I anticipate he will be happy to ship to WA.

Cheers

Stephane
17-Feb-2011, 14:40
From Foma:

Fomadone R09 is like Rodinal and can be diluted the same way.

apug discussion (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/21088-rodinal-r09-similarities-differences-3.html)

Shen45
17-Feb-2011, 16:08
Total Photographics in Kent Town usually stock it. The last time Rodinal was in glass bottles [at least here in Australia] was a very long time ago.

Tony Evans
17-Feb-2011, 16:31
Not to worry. Rodinal will keep in any type of bottle for years.

John Cahill
20-Feb-2011, 23:48

Nick

Ah, you young 'ins: when I began using Rodinal it came in half-liter brown glass, narrow-neck bottles with a hollow rubber stopper so you could jab a hypodermic down to draw off concentrate without even opening the bottle! It also had markings on the bottle in 5 (or was it 10) cc graduations.