PDA

View Full Version : Hi need advice on enlargers and tanks

Albert.Adderley
16-Feb-2011, 10:51
Hi I have a bessler black and White enlarger but it only will take negs up to 6x9 what's the best value one that will so 5x4 negs I have seen de vers but they are so costly
Also how is it best to process 5x4 negs in a tray or a tank
I have a jobo cpe
Al

Jon Shiu
16-Feb-2011, 11:13
Recommend LPL 4x5 enlarger. It is a diffusion enlarger. You might look on ebay to see if there is one nearby to you.

Jon

Len Middleton
16-Feb-2011, 11:23
Al,

There are lots of 4x5 enlargers including Omega D series and Beseler 45, as well as the LPL recommended by Jon.

Yopu might want to get a late version where possible (e.g. D5 rather than D2) for parts availablity, but even for the earlier ones there are parts available.

In many cases in Canada and the USA you can purchase an entire 4x5 darkroom, for less than what the enlarging lenses cost new.

Unfortunately, I do not know what the situation is in the UK. Maybe Durst is a reasonable alternate to the De Vere there.

Good luck on your hunt,

Len

John Kasaian
16-Feb-2011, 14:18
In the USA an Omega or Beseler are often given away or at leastpretty darn cheap. I don't know what the common 4x5 enlargers in the UK would have been---DeVere maybe? I think the best bargains are used machines---make sure you get as many accesories as you can included with your enlarger.
It's the price of those little things add up quickly!