PDA

View Full Version : Artisan Emulsions - Silver Gelatin in Montana

dwross
14-Feb-2011, 12:31
I am delighted to be teaching silver gelatin emulsion making at the Photographers' Formulary in Montana this June. Week One is learning to make and use a ClBr contact printing paper, along with demonstrations of semi-glossy baryta paper making and silvergum printing. Week Two is dry plate and handcoated film -- everything from making the materials, to camera operation, exposure, and processing.

The courses are designed to be taken separately or together.

The beauty of the Formulary workshops is their intensive, immersive environment. For a full week (or two) participants live the subject -- able to work from first thing in the morning to last thing at night (but I promise to schedule afternoon nap time :) ). The Formulary is in Montana's Swan Valley. Gorgeous location. The accommodations are first rate and the food alone is worth the trip!

An added perk of PF is that you can purchase on site all the chemicals and much of the equipment you need to get started making emulsions as soon as you get home.

I will make every effort to tailor each participant's workshop experience to fit individual needs and interests. We're going to have a great time!

Denise Ross
www.workshopsinmt.com
www.thelightfarm.com

Jan Pietrzak
15-Feb-2011, 12:25
What, can I say about Denise Ross, this workshop, and The Formulary. I met Denise at APIS in 2009. What a talk she put on about making your own emulsions. Know one wanted to leave. And know one did. A great job Denise. The workshop, well it is going to be fun and you will learn how to do it, with and expert standing next to you. The Formulary, what better place to go, Bud and Lynn, great place and great food. If you want to make your emulsions paper and film and you don't go to this workshop you will really be missing some thing, some thing real big.

So sign up and go to Montana.

Jan Pietrzak

Vaughn
15-Feb-2011, 12:28
Great news, Denise! it will be a great experience for everyone involved!

dwross
15-Feb-2011, 21:42
Thanks, fellas!

Kirk Keyes
16-Feb-2011, 14:06
I'll second everything Jan says about Denise and her work.

I've seen silver gelatin paper that Denise has hand-made and it looks every bit as good as commmercially available papers. She knows this subject and she's a great teacher!