PDA

View Full Version : Mats to Avoid Newton Rings

spacegoose
10-Feb-2011, 15:14
I have been trying to cut just the right size mats to keep my negatives off the glass - but it's hard :)

Does anyone know of a source for 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 (ideally plastic) that will keep the negative off the glass but still allow me to see the black film border?

Thanks,
Bill

Walter Calahan
10-Feb-2011, 16:17
http://www.betterscanning.com/

Randy
10-Feb-2011, 17:18
What film are you having the problem with?

I pretty much have just shot Arista for the past few years, 4x5 and 8x10. The old Arista (before the EDU), which I presume was Ilford, when scanned laying emulsion down on my Epson 4990 directly on the glass, does not result in any newton rings. That film has an obvious matte appearance to the emulsion side.

The current Arista EDU, which I believe is Foma, has a very shinny emulsion side, almost indistinguishable from the base side. That film produces loads of newton rings.

So, I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to have to spend more $ on film and avoid those, like Foma, that have a shinny emulsion side...or, try to come up with some kind of frame to suspend the film just above the glass. Problem with 8X10 is, I would think that with just about any holder it will sag in the center and contact with the glass.

I don't think better-scanning makes a holder for 8X10, but I may be mistaken.

domaz
10-Feb-2011, 17:20
You could just replace your scanner glass with ANR glass. Some people have done that successfully I believe.

spacegoose
10-Feb-2011, 17:42
Thanks for the info. I'd rather just use a mat or some sort of riser or even a holder. From 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10.

I use a holder for 4x5 that came w/ the scanner but miss the borders so want to use a mat - would like to use a simple mat or riser or holder - or in other words, something of a cheaper solution than what is offered in the suggested link.

I can get rings with any film :)

Thanks again,
Bill

SMBooth
10-Feb-2011, 17:52
You could just replace your scanner glass with ANR glass. Some people have done that successfully I believe.

I would think that scanning through ANR glass would degrade the image.

Peter De Smidt
10-Feb-2011, 19:35
I would think that scanning through ANR glass would degrade the image.

Not necessarily. Some professional flatbeds, such as a Cezanne, have a standard AN scanning bed. My tests show no discernible loss of detail over a bed made with optical glass.