PDA

View Full Version : Which sense “sleeps” when you shoot?

Heroique
9-Feb-2011, 15:08
This is a fun poll about the working photographer’s psychology.

When you’re shooting in field or studio, do any of your 5 senses “go to sleep” for the duration? That is, does the strain of composition take its toll on your mind in some way? Or maybe the reverse is true – do your senses sharpen? Perhaps you’ve never noticed a change, one way or the other.

In any case, please tell us a little about your mind when composing or shooting.

The poll is chiefly about “disappearing” senses – since I suspect that’s what happens to most of us – but your experience might be very different. What happens in your mind under the best of circumstances – that is, when you’re hot, compositions are “there,” and you’re doing everything right. Did you somehow induce this enviable state? Or is it something beyond your control. What about when things are going wrong? Is it because your other senses were too active, not willing to go on temporary leave? Did they, therefore, invite distraction?

Please share your experiences – let us into your mind.

;)

vinny
9-Feb-2011, 15:16
I have noticed a change and i think my senses sharpen, not shut off. Sometimes it takes a day to get into shooting mode and then my sucess rate goes way up.

Robert Hughes
9-Feb-2011, 15:27
I lose all sense of taste when I shoot - and my pictures show it!

Bill_1856
9-Feb-2011, 15:48
My senses of taste and smell seem to recover after printing.

Armin Seeholzer
9-Feb-2011, 16:01
When I hear the shutter in front of my 8x10 its almost like an orgasm;--)))
You missed this one on your list!

Robert Hughes
9-Feb-2011, 16:03
So THAT's what's on the ground glass...

ewww!

Heroique
9-Feb-2011, 16:04
Sometimes it takes a day to get into shooting mode and then my success rate goes way up.

Often the day before, I’ll “think through” my shooting plans. This preparation sharpens my visualizing sense, but strangely, it also blunts my other senses when I enter the field w/ pre-arranged plans.

BTW, “sense of touch” is one of my votes – which is why I never set-up my tripod too near a cliff edge.

It just occurred to me that “sense of direction” or “sense of space” would be good poll options!

Gem Singer
9-Feb-2011, 16:19
My senses don't disappear when I'm shooting. In fact, they heighten. Kind of a natural high.

The comparison to an orgasmic experience makes sense to me.

I know that I get hungry after a successful outing, and a few of my shooting buddies need to smoke a cigarette.

I've been told that time spent out in the field with my camera, capturing images on film, will not be counted against my total lifetime, and I believe that statement.

John NYC
9-Feb-2011, 16:24
What sleeps when I shoot is my sense of care or worry about other things in my life. That is even more true when shooting film since it is a pure shooting experience without regard to if you captured the shot correctly or not... you'll find out later! This is one reason why digital is not as fun to me; I cannot resist checking my shots on the screen and histogram. And there is nothing fun about that. It takes you out of the moment of composing and creation and into an editing frame of mind... back and forth, back and forth. Annoying to me.

mdm
9-Feb-2011, 16:37
Common sense.

rguinter
9-Feb-2011, 18:04
There are actually many more senses... some experimental psychologists may claim 16 or more.

I find my vestibular sense tends to fail when I'm under the dark cloth and I feel like falling over.

Bob G.

Thad Gerheim
9-Feb-2011, 19:35
The sense of time, past and future, is of no importance for me. Except, for when there's two minutes of spectacular light left and it's going to take me five minutes to set up!

Thad

Heroique
9-Feb-2011, 19:59
I find my vestibular sense tends to fail when I'm under the dark cloth and I feel like falling over.

“Vestibular sense” – I had to look that one up to make sure it meant “balance.” Yes, I pay that price too for careful composition.

That’s why my Ries never stands near a cliff!

The sense of time, past and future, is of no importance for me.

Excellent – time disappears for me too. Western time, anyway. Not Eastern time. Not talking about daylight savings or time zones here.

Let’s just say my “mystical sense” heightens as my “clock sense” falls away, thanks to the meditative relationship a lot of us share w/ the landscape when composing…

Jim Cole
10-Feb-2011, 06:56
My sense of time completely disappears as does my notofication system for hunger. Once I get into a zone, which is difficult for me to begin with, I may forget to eat for 8-10 hours.

LaurentB
10-Feb-2011, 10:49
Most of my hearing, and the ability to talk are going when I'm shooting and 'inspired'.

If shooting several images in a row, I'll usually loose the sense of time passing...

rdenney
10-Feb-2011, 14:45
My situational sense falls away, but it isn't that my fve senses turn off, they just become focused on the task at hand and ignore everything else. I also have little sense of the passage of time, and forget to eat. That's true any time I'm concentrating on an engrossing subject.

Rick "easy prey for muggers when photographing with a big camera" Denney

D. Bryant
10-Feb-2011, 15:46
My "Spider Sense". God I hat these stupid polls.

Heroique
10-Feb-2011, 16:54
Settle down, Don – the rest of us are trying to have some fun. ;)

I may forget to eat for 8-10 hours.

I also…forget to eat.

This happens to me every time – I’m kicking myself for not including “sense of hunger” as an option. I’m curious if its loss is as common as “hearing.” Probably is.

...the ability to talk [disappears] when I'm shooting and ‘inspired’.

So many times when a curious bystander starts asking questions, it’s difficult for me to stop work and offer a sensible reply. What usually happens is I stammer & stutter, and the bystander walks away feeling sorry for me. Probably the best for both of us!

Vaughn
10-Feb-2011, 16:55
My "Spider Sense". God I hat these stupid polls.

Why does a poll need a hat?

Since my exposures are usually on the long side, I find my skin becomes very sensitive to the slightest movement of air -- feeling air movements that do not even move the tips of the ferns and moss hanging from the maples. This is coupled with a raised sense of hearing -- listening for a coming breeze thru the trees.

But actually, it seems all me senses are raised -- all 5 or 14, or whatever. Hunger (and thirst) -- that I don't think about until the light dies and it is a long walk back to the car. I have "bonked" a few times, arriving back at the car completely wiped out.

sun of sand
13-Feb-2011, 20:55
uh lol

johnmsanderson
13-Feb-2011, 21:14
My situational sense falls away, but it isn't that my fve senses turn off, they just become focused on the task at hand and ignore everything else. I also have little sense of the passage of time, and forget to eat. That's true any time I'm concentrating on an engrossing subject.

I have the same experience. On one week long trip I was amazed how long I could go running off clif bars and not eating much at all (I'm a cyclist as well so I'm use to eating quite a bit). The thrill of being out with the camera energized me. I could also keep going with less sleep!

Robert Hughes
14-Feb-2011, 08:11
That loss of situational sense has been the cause of many canyon cliff deaths over the years.

When using sheet film holders, my ability to distinguish silver from black fails me regularly.

Gary Tarbert
4-Mar-2011, 06:53
That loss of situational sense has been the cause of many canyon cliff deaths over the years.

When using sheet film holders, my ability to distinguish silver from black fails me regularly.Thats why i like holders with bumps rough White / smooth black you must be using Toyos!!
Oh back on topic Hunger some morning shoots if i get excited about the light or just the way the shoot has gone , i come home after and proccess the film and not until they are dry and i am looking at them on the lightbox do i realise , Hey i havn't eaten yet and it's after 3!! Cheers gary

Scott Davis
4-Mar-2011, 08:19
I think most of my senses are heightened when out shooting. It's a zen-like thing - you get so in to what you're doing that you become more attuned to what's going on around you. Well, until you get under the darkcloth. Then of course peripheral vision is completely gone, and the focusing screen is so in-your-face that it pretty much commands 100% of your attention. I try to exert an extra effort to be situationally aware when I'm shooting in an urban environment, but when I'm out somewhere like the California coastline, or up in the Sierras, I get totally lost.

Murray
6-Mar-2011, 21:01
My 'other' sense vote initially was about my 'sense' of (im)balance...not one of the 'true 5', but a distraction for me. Vertigo due to Meniere's Disease...fun fun fun, lemme tell ya.

I was going to say I get hungry, but I could also say my sense of humor sleeps.

Oh, yeah, my common sense sleeps too. I have made alot of errors, as I'm sure others have...

E. von Hoegh
9-Mar-2011, 08:54
Common sense.

Ditto.

jnantz
9-Mar-2011, 09:53
my arm+hand tingles like they are asleep

evan clarke
9-Mar-2011, 09:55
I chose other, I have everything worked out before I go get the camera, it's mechanical and automatic for me and I am paying attention to what's going on around me for the little time I'm under my dark cloth...Evan Clarke

paulr
9-Mar-2011, 10:00
I try to turn off the part of my brain that analyzes and critiques.
And turn it back on later when I edit.

Sevo
9-Mar-2011, 11:19
Whatever sense keeps me from stumbling over tripods...