PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Imacon Precision II

Fred Renich
4-Feb-2011, 19:49
I recently purchased a used Imacon Precision II that has been converted to a Precision III. I am running it with a dual processor G5 mac. I am working with a Ratoc FR1SX scsi to firewire converter. I am using Flexcolor 4.04 software. I have been able to get the computer to communicate with the scanner. I am scanning transparency film. When I scan for a preview or final scan the image is washed out—light reds, blues, and yellows. I can just see faint detail in the image. Do I have a software setting wrong? I have scanned several times with reboots between trials but no success. Can anyone give me some idea of what to do?

Thanks, Fred

onnect17
4-Feb-2011, 22:07
How the scanner knows the focus?

gary mulder
5-Feb-2011, 03:06
Open up the Histogram window and correct the slide's. All of the Histogram must be between the sliders.

Fred Renich
5-Feb-2011, 13:24
Gary, it doesn't seem to matter how the histogram is set. It still scans the same. I am attaching a sample.

onnect17
5-Feb-2011, 20:20
Fred, try a scan with the slot empty and post the image

Fred Renich
5-Feb-2011, 23:02
I am attaching two images. One with the empty 4X5 film holder (left) and one with no film holder. Both are just white. I have added the black rule to the no film holder to show the border. The other has a light edge border which is from the film holder.

onnect17
7-Feb-2011, 11:19
Fred,
That's the expected image.
The perfect scenario to troubleshoot is on the windows enviroment but I'm guessing you don't have a PC around. In the meantime, could you capture the setup and preference settings on the Flexcolor application. I already tried and by no means I'm able to get a similar image. Also check Ratoc web site. I think your imacon needs a "downgraded" version of the firmware in the adapter.
Armando

aluncrockford
7-Feb-2011, 13:08
I have exactly the same set up as you and the only problem I ever had was with the scusi connection, have you got a terminator cap (This may well be incorrect terminology ) on the unused connector, you might also want to look at the length of the cable, both of these issues caused me problems, the other thing you might want to do is to make a A4 print scan just to make sure that it is not a problem with the back light

Fred Renich
7-Feb-2011, 18:45
Thanks for all your input. I have resolved the problem. I checked several things and will list them below.

1. I took out the lamp used for scanning transparencies and centered up the shield that goes around the lamp and then replaced it.
2. I set the scsi number to 0.

It was doing one of these two things and I suspect it was checking the light that did the trick.
I did a 4X5 scan and it turned out beautiful.

Thanks again for your responses.
Fred

onnect17
7-Feb-2011, 20:01
Fred,
I can't see the lamp being the problem here.
Do you remember the previous SCSI ID for the card and the Imacon? Do you have any other device in the chain?

Fred Renich
7-Feb-2011, 21:16
Perhaps you are right. When I received the scanner the scsi id was set to 5 and my computer (a mac g5) could not see it. Keep in mind that I am using a Ratoc FR1SX scsi to firewire converter. I proceeded to set the id to 7. The computer found the scanner but the scans were not acceptable as shown above. I then read in the manual and it said not to use the higher id numbers so I set it to 4. Again the computer could not find the scanner. I then pulled and checked the light and after putting it back in I set the scsi id to 0. I was then able to get a good scan. Perhaps it has to do with the scsi id? My next move would be to purchase a scsi card which works in the g5. With the Ratoc FR1SX scsi to firewire converter no scsi card is needed just a firewire cable. However, I am not adverse to putting in a scsi card if I need to. There are no other devices in the chain and the second scsi connection on the scanner is terminated properly.

onnect17
8-Feb-2011, 07:52
Using the proper card in the computer is always the cleanest way (even if the device needs to be on at the start-up). The Imacon I use has a firewire port but a friend of mine uses a similar ratoc adapter with all kind of trouble.
Most important, glad to hear you got the scanner in businness.

Fred Renich
8-Feb-2011, 16:54
Armando, Perhaps you are correct.

I will keep an eye on this and if I need to purchase a scsi card with cable I will. It does seem that the ratoc adapter is very fussy as how it is set with the software. I did download and install the down graded firmware for it. This was recommended on an forum that I was reading about the adapter but then the software is very unclear when it comes to setting it up.

Thanks for your input.

Fred

Min
27-Feb-2011, 09:42
I've gotten scans exactly like that on my FT III when the scsi card in the pc was going bad... so my bet is on your scsi setting.

Now im running a FT II and FT III, one on a macpro one on an imac, 10.5.8, with ratoc's adapters... little fussy first getting started but now run great, sometimes the scanners arent recognized but 99% of the time unplugging the ratoc power supply does the trick. Typically i leave the scanner FW cables unplugged from my computer when not in use, because even with the scanners turned off, the computers take a long time to boot up. I cant remember if Ive tried these ratocs or not on snow leopard...