PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Microtek scanners, any advice?

Daniel Scott Smith
4-Feb-2011, 14:40
Hi all.
First post here.

I am looking at purchasing, oh, from what I've gathered I'm looking at getting either one of the (oldish) used Microtek Artixscan scanners, 1800 or 2500 series probably.

When I've looked at reviews etc of these scanners, most of the info is from 2001 or so. Can anyone tell me if there has been any updated info about the better scanners to get for slides and/or art-type scans?

Just wondering if there have been any advances made in competitors to these affordable quality scanners? Or, is there any preference to particular models in these Microtek ranges? I think some I've seen are 1800f, 2500f, etc?

Thanks for any help...

Dan

R Mann
4-Feb-2011, 15:05
I like the ArtixScan M1 that I have - I feel it was a step up from the Epson 4870 that I was using before. Having the separate scan drawer instead of using the glass bed seems a lot easier, and I have less dust to deal with after a scan.

Walter Calahan
4-Feb-2011, 15:41
I thought Microtek stopped selling in the US some time ago.

Get an Epson, Smith.

Frank Petronio
4-Feb-2011, 16:04
Microtek M1 was the latest-last one I think, the Epson 4990 was the competitor. You can find used or refurbished Epson 4990s for $200 or so. The M1 was more expensive but less reliable, I think performance was a wash.

Preston
4-Feb-2011, 16:11
I like my 1800f for 4x5 and for documents, but for 35mm and medium format, it's not really up to the task to create high quality scans for larger prints.

--P

Paul Bujak
5-Feb-2011, 15:15
I have an ArtixScan M1. I like the results with it but it is SLOW! And it grunts and groans a lot when scanning, too.

Anthony Lewis
10-Feb-2011, 03:46
Buy one. I have the F1 - its great.

Rod Klukas
18-Feb-2011, 19:13
Watch out for these older ones though. Drivers for the newer OS are hard to find.
V750 m Pro is an excellent one though above the others in price. V700 not bad.

Ivan J. Eberle
18-Feb-2011, 19:36
The Epsons have Digital ICE-- don't believe that the Microteks have it (actual IR channel implementation, not just some software solution)?

Matus Kalisky
28-Feb-2011, 16:06
I have the Microtek F1 (european version of the M1, but is includes some kind of ICE). I have mexed feeling with this scanner. It can do a VERY good job if it gets the focus right. It is laud and slow but with 4x5 I find the speed OK. The Dmax is rather good. I have troubles with color calibration (yes, still - not enough time), but I would assign that to operator problem (intel inside, idiot outside .. :) ).

he holders are quite good. I do not use the ICE - I use pressurized (canned) gas and get I am left with very little dust afterwards.

The scanner has a tendency to get faint strips on the scan in the direction in which the head moves - probably a tiny spec of dust somewhere. The first time I sent it back to microtek, but now I have to deal with it myself somehow.

And it is noisy. We have 2 room apartment and my wife is getting crazy if I scan for a longer time.

One of the weak points for me is the software - I use the Silverfast Studio 'something', but it really aches. Slow response, bad layout, stability.

So - it can deliver decent results, but it requires patience.

Jim Noel
2-Mar-2011, 09:28
I would not swap my i900 for any Epson. Yes, it does have ICE.

cdada
6-Mar-2011, 05:02
Way to ask a question,I have 135、medium format and large format,I scan my 135 by Nikon VED and am satisfied with it.
Question is :In terms of 135 film,how about F1 compares with VED?
Thanks.

falth j
6-Mar-2011, 09:31
the best bang for your dollar, especially when purchasing old, unrepairable stuff, is to break out the bucks and buy a current in production model.

even when purchasing new, it'll be obsolete before you really get to know how to use it to its best advantage....

kgm
4-Apr-2011, 20:45
I have been using the Microtek 1800f for several years with both 4x5 negatives and transparencies and 8x10 negatives. I use both the Microtek and SilverFast software (it was sold with both). I've been very happy with the scans I get.

TenOx
26-Apr-2011, 13:46
Microtek abandoned the US market. Parts, service and software will be hard to come by for older machines. I believe that they have subsequently come back to this large, profitable market, but only in commercial and high-end.

Preston
26-Apr-2011, 17:41
Microtek has not abandoned the US market. You can still get software for older scanners and, as far as I know, purchase new scanners fom them, including the M-1 (the replacement for the 1800F). I do not know if one can get parts for discontinued models, as I have not had any issues with my 1800F.

--P

Colin Graham
27-Apr-2011, 13:34
Microtek did take an extended vacation from the US market. They're back now, for now.

I had such issues with my M1 that it would be difficult to recommend, but it is nice when it's working.