PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Crystal Archive Printing

John Sarsgard
29-Feb-2000, 12:15
I've heard/read lots about how archival the new Fuji Crystal ARchive paper is. Supposed to be 75 years in the Wilhelm tests...which would be better than Infoch rome, at least if not stored in darkness. Would like to see what it looks like, but every place I know tht does pro quality C prints still uses Kodak. Anybody have any experience with this and/or know of a good printer using it?

Stpephen Willlard
29-Feb-2000, 15:18
I use Fujiflex paper which is part of the Crysrtal Archival family. It is the super gloss version and produce extremely sharp photographs with brillant colors that rival Cibrachrome. I do my own developing, and I know of no commerical lab that uses it. Fujiflex is a very high contrast paper and requires more dodging and burning to make a print. Perhaps that is why most labs do not use it. It has a big price tag too costing 3-4 time more than most other papers. Personally, I find the shear brilliance of clarity and colors well worth it despite these short comings.

Roger Rouch
29-Feb-2000, 19:10
I remain a humble amatuer and am occationally off a bit in my technical descriptions, but have had elargements done by two labs that I belive to use the Crystal Archive paper. Flair Color Labs is very reasonable, has done good work, and also offers a "Super Gloss" that may be the same as the Fujiflex mentioned for a few dollars more that the standard Crystal Archive. Portland Photographics also uses Crystal Archive. They are a bit pricey for me, but have done exceptional work. I would wonder if there are different grades of the Crystal Archive. I've not done a side by side comparison to Kodak paper, but consider the Fuji papers significantly superior for photos from my NPS negs in terms of color saturation and reproduction and will not use labs that use Kodak paper. If you would like emails or phone #'s of either of these labs to verify they would meet your needs, please email me. Roger