PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm Pro 160S 4x5" Professional Color Negative (Print) Film

Thom Bennett
2-Feb-2011, 20:46
B&H has this listed as Discontinued! Did I miss something? Freestyle, Adorama, Calumet...none have it listed? I feel like Rip Van Winkle; I fell asleep and when I awoke the whole damn world had changed.

Thom Bennett
2-Feb-2011, 20:49
Wait. B&H does have it in Quickloads but not plain sheets. I thought all Quickloads had been discontinued. I can't keep up with what's in and what's out. Anyone have any insight into what is available?

tgtaylor
3-Feb-2011, 20:27
Hi Tom,

As a past user of 160-S for LF and 160-C for MF, I was also curious and E-mailed Fuji this morning. Here is their timely reply:

Dear Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM North America Corporation. Please
allow us to assist you.

Please be advised that the Fujicolor Pro 160S and 160C have been
discontinued in all film formats. Unfortunately, we do not have
information regarding dealers who may still be carrying this product. We
are sorry that we are not able to assist you further in locating this
item.

Fujicolor Pro 400H is available in 135-36, 135-36 5pk and 120 5pk.

We sincerely hope this information has been beneficial to you. If you
should have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us in the future. It would be our pleasure to assist you again.

Thank you for your interest in FUJIFILM products and services.

Respectfully,

Rosemary, Product Agent
Contact Center
FUJIFILM North America Corporation

Since I prefer the 160-S over the 160-C, I switched to Kodak 160NC.

Thomas
A native of the Crescent City :)

John NYC
3-Feb-2011, 20:37
Dear Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM North America Corporation. Please
allow us to assist you.

Please be advised that the Fujicolor Pro 160S and 160C have been
discontinued in all film formats. Unfortunately, we do not have
information regarding dealers who may still be carrying this product. We
are sorry that we are not able to assist you further in locating this
item.

Fujicolor Pro 400H is available in 135-36, 135-36 5pk and 120 5pk.
Respectfully,

Rosemary, Product Agent
Contact Center
FUJIFILM North America Corporation

Ok, I am reading this correctly? Fuji film is not making any color neg film in any size of large format now?

John

EDIT: I guess this WAS right...

http://figitalrevolution.com/2010/03/11/fuji-discontinues-a-lot-of-color-films/

tgtaylor
3-Feb-2011, 21:19
Ok, I am reading this correctly? Fuji film is not making any color neg film in any size of large format now?

John

EDIT: I guess this WAS right...

http://figitalrevolution.com/2010/03/11/fuji-discontinues-a-lot-of-color-films/

According to Rosemary, that's right; No more LF color negative from Fuji. :( But Kodak is still standing and it's good film! :)

vinny
3-Feb-2011, 22:33
It has a different name now pro 160 is now ns. Go to choosefilm.com and find the fujilab UK website, they have it. All sheet film from fuji is now sold in 20 sheet boxes.

Sascha Welter
4-Feb-2011, 01:36
160S was replaced by 160NS.

See for example:
http://www.macodirect.de/fuji-sheet-filmbr102x127cm-4x520-sheets-p-1434.html
(Notice how the title says "NS", while the description still says "S".)

John NYC
4-Feb-2011, 05:21
Re: 160 NS... It doesn't seem to be available in my usual places B&H Photo, Adorama, Badger. Is it available in the US?

Thom Bennett
4-Feb-2011, 07:45
Thomas,

Thanks for writing to Fuji and posting their reply. I am in shock that this happened so suddenly. I guess I just missed the notices that this was in the works. Too bad, it was a nice film.

Well, time to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and be thankful that Kodak is still with us. To tell the truth, I don't recall why I switched to using Fuji so many years ago but I've never been anti-Kodak. I have shot the NC in 8x10 so I'll start using it in 4x5.

tgtaylor
4-Feb-2011, 10:41
I just sent an E-mail back to Fuji asking if 160-NS was also discontinued and if not, is it available here in the US. I'll post their reply when it arrives. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thomas

Ash
4-Feb-2011, 11:44
You lot nearly gave me a peptic ulcer..... I thought I'd have to stock up on Pro160S until I read it's just a name change

tgtaylor
4-Feb-2011, 18:30
I just sent an E-mail back to Fuji asking if 160-NS was also discontinued and if not, is it available here in the US. I'll post their reply when it arrives. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thomas

Herre's the reply:
Dear Thomas,

Unfortunately 160-NS is not available in the U.S so we do not have any
information concerning this film.

Other than 160-NS is not available here in the US, I don't know what to make of this. Maybe someone from the otherside of the pond can write Fuji Europe and see if 160-NS is discontinued there also. One would think that the US market for it would be just as large as the european market.

Thomas

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
4-Feb-2011, 20:18
I got 10 20 sheet boxes fresh 160 NS film 4x5" ordered though Britain last October. And recently I ordered 20 more boxes that are to come from Japan this spring. This was done trough a small Fuji dealer in Iceland. I think that Fuji USA has decided to discontinue Fuji sheet and roll film from the US marked. The capitalism is known to loose interest when there is not profit enough!

Moopheus
6-Feb-2011, 08:50
The capitalism is known to loose interest when there is not profit enough!

Yes, not surprisingly. Currency issues probably have a lot to do with where Fuji decides to ship what products. The unwinding of the yen carry trade a couple of years ago has made Japanese goods much more expensive in dollars. Which means Japanese producers have to decide either to raise prices or not distribute products. Looking at the prices in yen on Japan Exposures suggests that the 160NS in sheets would just be too costly to sell here.

Thom Bennett
6-Feb-2011, 09:18
So, are we are talking a US distribution halt rather than a production stoppage? Looking on Fujifilm Worldwide site they list 160s in the following:

4 x 5 in. (10.2 x 12.7 cm) ...10 sheets and 50 sheets
4 x 5 in. (10.2 x 12.7 cm) QL ...20 sheets
8 x 10 in. (20.3 x 25.4 cm) ...10 sheets
9 x 12 cm ...20 sheets
13 x 18 cm ...20 sheets

Of course, this info may be outdated. With Kodak offering the new Portra emulsion in both 4x5 & 8x10 I think I'll simply make the shift back to Kodak rather than sweat over whether or not Fuji is still in the game.

Preston
6-Feb-2011, 09:28
Thom,

I'll probably do the same. I liked the Pro-S, but will likely go with Ektar for my 4x5.

I don't shoot color neg much, but there are times when it is needed.

--P

Oren Grad
6-Feb-2011, 09:30
The international sites aren't updated reliably. The home market color neg product info page is here:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/film/color/professional/index.html

And here is the catalog page showing available formats:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/jan/color/professional.html?pSch501010101

tgtaylor
6-Feb-2011, 10:27
I'll probably do the same. I liked the Pro-S, but will likely go with Ektar for my 4x5.
I don't shoot color neg much, but there are times when it is needed.
--P

Ektar is more saturated than 160-S – probably closer to 160-C. I haven’t shot much Ektar but I switched from 160-C to 160-S because the latter was available in sheet size and, more importantly, the colors of 160-S (esp the greens) were more “realistic” IMO. I recently purchased a 50 sheet of Porta 160NC but haven't shot any yet because I still have a couple of sheets of 160-S left. My thinking (hope) is that the porta is more like the 160-S than it is to 160-C.

Yes, not surprisingly. Currency issues probably have a lot to do with where Fuji decides to ship what products. The unwinding of the yen carry trade a couple of years ago has made Japanese goods much more expensive in dollars. Which means Japanese producers have to decide either to raise prices or not distribute products. Looking at the prices in yen on Japan Exposures suggests that the 160NS in sheets would just be too costly to sell here.
But the Japanese home prices have always been higher in Japan than in the US and probably the rest of the world as well. When I was last in Japan (1967) you could purchase a Canon or Nikon for way less than you would pay here in the US. But that situation did a rapid 180 when the Japanese economy took off.
What I don’t understand is why retailers such as Badger don’t step-up and fill the void for 160-S here in the states. After all Jeff imported Acros from Japan for years before Fuji made it available here.

Thomas

Moopheus
6-Feb-2011, 11:21
But the Japanese home prices have always been higher in Japan than in the US and probably the rest of the world as well.

I get that. But the fact remains that the yen appreciated 50 percent in the space of a few months. Exporters have to deal with that one way or another.

Preston
6-Feb-2011, 13:06
Thanks, Thomas. I added the Portra 160NC to my B&H wish list.

B&H still has Fujifilm Pro 160S 4x5" Quick Load listed as 'in stock' for $64.95 as of today.

--P

kedbro
7-Feb-2011, 21:41
Yeah, really too bad. I was lucky enough to snag 100 sheets of 160S a couple months ago. When that's gone it'll be Portra 160NC, which I'm quite fond of (but not as much as 160S, my favorite film).