PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable Portrait Distance

DanK
22-Jan-2011, 20:20
Taking nothing else into account (lens, etc) what is your comfortable portrait distance - camera to subject?

What do you consider too close? What do you consider too far?

I personally prefer around 12 to 15 feet or so....

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

BrianShaw
22-Jan-2011, 20:32
Six to ten.

Randy
22-Jan-2011, 20:45
When I was in photojournalism school for the USAF back in the early 80's, one assignment we had was to approach complete strangers in downtown Denver with only a 50mm lens on our 35mm cameras and we had to fill up two 36 exposure rolls, six pictures of each subject, and fill the frame with their face. That pretty much meant we had to shoot about 12-18" from their face. Now that was awkward...but, I sure did like the results.
I still enjoy getting in very close but with large format that can be difficult. I am comfortable at 4-6 feet away with a 12-14" lens on my 8X10.

Stephane
23-Jan-2011, 01:11
I dont think there is a comfortable distance. I concentrate on getting the picture right, so I frame the shot and direct the model. So it depends on the lens and how you want to frame the shot. From 4m to 1m. Less than 1m is for guys shot with wide-angle petzval (210mm on 8x10). 4 m is for a 600mm lens (bellow draw is then limiting).

I dont think the model gets bothered in anyway when the camera is too close. 8x10 is not as intimidating as a small camera in continuous shooting mode, and more importantly they can see themselves in the glass.

Mark Barendt
23-Jan-2011, 05:27
Went to a workshop a while back where we did a fair number of LF portraits and most of the fun stuff was done where the subject was within about 2-4 feet.

That choice was truly driven by the lens's angle of view and I don't think anyone was uncomfortable.

The only time a larger spacing was used was for a group shot of 12 guys.

Ben Syverson
23-Jan-2011, 08:47
4-5 feet

jnantz
23-Jan-2011, 10:41
i don't think there is a too close, but there is a too far.

Randy
23-Jan-2011, 10:50
Someone once said to get so close that you feel you are to close, then take two steps forward.

Mark Sawyer
23-Jan-2011, 11:05
Comfort is more the relationship between the photographer and the sitter. Once the sitter has decided to trust you to photograph them, you're already past the hard part; the camera is no longer intrusive or unwelcome. And working close with a large format camera is more comfortable, I think, as having a large camera inbetween gives both distance and a physical barrier to protect that psychological "personal space" between two people. Especially so since the photographer is under the dark cloth.

So I'd say "too close" is when the sitter leaves nose smudges on the front element... :D

cjbroadbent
23-Jan-2011, 11:30
5ft, 10ft, 15ft, from intimate to remote, the reader of your photograph knows exactly where he is in relation to your sitter. He learned in his crib to judge his distance by corporal perspective.
So your choice of lens expresses the sitter's attitude to the reader - intimate or remote.
You, yourself, are just an intermediary.

Bruce Barlow
24-Jan-2011, 07:15
I think distance has to do with the "negative space" around the subject - how much you want, what it is, its relationship to the subject, the emotional quality it imparts and how that fits with what you're trying to express..

I want to play with horizontal ("landscape orientation") portraits, for instance, where more is more.

There are wonderful portrait exercises around these ideas. I humbly submit that you don't know until you see. Imagining is not enough. That definitely includes me, and I fully intend to mess around.

All I need is a really patient subject. Really patient.

ic-racer
24-Jan-2011, 07:53
I'm not be concerned at all with comfort, I'm only be interested in the persepective I want on the face (which is controlled only via subject distance).

Wayne
24-Jan-2011, 08:04
I like to get right up there. Nothing says "art" like a good nostril shot.

Robert Hughes
24-Jan-2011, 10:09
When I was in photojournalism school for the USAF back in the early 80's, one assignment we had was to approach complete strangers in downtown Denver with only a 50mm lens on our 35mm cameras...

I suppose attempting the same exercise today would wind you up in jail or a lawsuit....

Ari
24-Jan-2011, 10:49
I always tell my subjects beforehand that I'm moving in closer so they're not too taken aback.
I used to take portraits with a Hasselblad 50mm lens at maximum extension, 19 inches.
The first thousand or so portraits were pretty awkward-looking, but after that they started to look pretty cool. :)
With a 4x5, I've used the 210 racked way out so that the frame is completely filled, and I was about 18 inches from the subject.

Ben Syverson
24-Jan-2011, 10:54
I suppose attempting the same exercise today would wind you up in jail or a lawsuit....
Nah. Look at the work of Bruce Gilden.

You can even sell the photograph. Check out Philip-Lorca diCorcia's Heads series. He isolated strangers on the street in NYC with strobe lighting, and sold them for decent amounts. One of the subjects sued, but it didn't stick.

Randy
25-Jan-2011, 08:25

Well, we actually asked permission, showed them our military ID, and explained our class assignment. I even got their addresses so I could mail them a copy of the picture. I think I asked 10-12 people and only had one decline. Everyone from a 70+ year old Native American woman, to bearded bikers, to lovely young college girls. It turned into my favorite assignment.

toolbox
28-Jan-2011, 15:35
As others have noted, distance to the subject is largely determined by how you want to compose the picture and what length lens you're using... Generally speaking, longer lenses are preferred for portraits because they compress the image and don't distort peoples features when framed the same as wider lenses... They also have a more narrow field of view that can help eliminate distracting backgrounds. My lens selection is kind of limited in LF, but for a headshot I'd probably use the longest one I have and just go with whatever distance that ends up producing...

Of course, it's all a matter of taste...you can use whatever works for what you're trying to produce :).

John NYC
10-Jul-2011, 20:17
5ft, 10ft, 15ft, from intimate to remote, the reader of your photograph knows exactly where he is in relation to your sitter. He learned in his crib to judge his distance by corporal perspective.
So your choice of lens expresses the sitter's attitude to the reader - intimate or remote.
You, yourself, are just an intermediary.

As I continue to do some research here on portrait-making, I once again come across a gem of wisdom from Mr. Broadbent. Brilliant, natural and simple way of thinking about this. Thanks!!!

DrTang
11-Jul-2011, 10:10
4 to 10 feet depending

it's usually a perspective question between the model and the background - if any

I will, but I try not to get too close for a couple reasons

1. distortion of the model - get too close and noses get gignormous for instance

2. I need some room to stumble around in front of the camera setting stuff and re-attaching pc cords and such

lawrencebrussel
25-Jul-2011, 01:04
Depends on your location, indoor or outdoor .And varies from 5-10 ft.

Armin Seeholzer
25-Jul-2011, 01:57
I'm only be interested in the persepective I want on the face (which is controlled only via subject distance).

This ist totaly wrong its just one parameter. I still can make a face smaller or rounder with the use of the back swing and ore tilt etc. at least with many cameras is it possible.
And much more important then any distance is still the light.

my 2 cts. Armin

Frank Petronio
25-Jul-2011, 04:51
If you can't grab or slap them -- or vice-versa -- then you aren't close enough.

lawrencebrussel
26-Jul-2011, 01:08
Hahaahahahah loved your portrait shooting style Frank. :D