PDA

View Full Version : Old Arista ISO 125 ?

Randy
22-Jan-2011, 06:39
I have acquired a small quantity (an out of date opened 25 sheet pack) of 8X10 Arista ISO 125. From what I can find, it is probably Ilford FP4. Can anyone offer a working ISO to start out with? I will probably be processing it in HC-110 in trays, so if I can a get any advice on dilution and time, I would greatly appreciate it.

Wayne
22-Jan-2011, 07:01
I have acquired a small quantity (an out of date opened 25 sheet pack) of 8X10 Arista ISO 125. From what I can find, it is probably Ilford FP4. Can anyone offer a working ISO to start out with? I will probably be processing it in HC-110 in trays, so if I can a get any advice on dilution and time, I would greatly appreciate it.

I can tell you that after testing I shot that film at 80 and used 1:47 (Dilution D or E)
from syrup for 9 minutes in trays. But that was me, my system and your mileage will vary. The best way to ensure that you waste as little as possible is just to send it to me.

Wayne
22-Jan-2011, 07:05
Uh, just to clarify. Thats what I used for Arista 125 that was fp4 PLUS

vinny
22-Jan-2011, 07:57
125?

Randy
22-Jan-2011, 08:02
The outside of the white cardboard envelope says ISO 125 Professional. It doesn't even say Arista on it but the guy I got it from said it was Arista and that back when he ordered it (5, 6, 7 years ago?) he believed Arista house brand was Ilford. It doesn't say "PLUS" on it anywhere.

Wayne
22-Jan-2011, 08:14
The outside of the white cardboard envelope says ISO 125 Professional. It doesn't even say Arista on it but the guy I got it from said it was Arista and that back when he ordered it (5, 6, 7 years ago?) he believed Arista house brand was Ilford. It doesn't say "PLUS" on it anywhere.

It wouldnt say plus on it. But FP4 is a much older emulsion than 5-6 years, and was superceded by FP4+. I am pretty sure that plus is what you have if its 5-7 years old. The notch code for Arista/Ilford 125 from about 10 years ago is 2 U's or half circles, so check that. Somewhere in the last several years (3-4 years?) Arista film stopped being Ilford, and the notch code probably changed.

Randy
22-Jan-2011, 08:58
Thanks Wayne. The notch code on the film I have is one (1) half circle, not 2. So is that FP4 Plus?

Wayne
22-Jan-2011, 09:45
Actually, that (a single half circle) is the same code used on Arista 400 during that same time frame, which was purported to be HP5+ (I never cross-tested to verify this claim)....so things are getting muddier.

Is this in the original packaging? Are you positive its 125 and not 400 film? You say "envelope" not "box", which has me wondering...

Randy
22-Jan-2011, 15:11
Yes, it looks like the original packaging. The factory placard on the outside of the heavy white envelope (not a box) says ISO 125 Professional. It doesn't say Arista but was told that was where it was purchased, and that it was Arista film. There is no expiration date that I can find and no data sheet.
I am pretty confident it is not 400 speed. I shot 2 sheets a few weeks ago at ISO 50, processed it in HC-110 1:100 for about 17 minutes (I had found a recommendation on the web somewhere) but if anything, it was under exposed slightly (a stop or two) and/or under developed by about 1/2. The neg was printable (scannable?) and I scanned it, but going back to my darkroom days with variable contrast, I would say it would have needed a #3 or 3 1/2 filter or a #3 or #4 paper.
So, what I guess I need to do is start from scratch. Perhaps I should shoot a few sheets at different ISO's and process as you recommended Wayne?

Wayne
22-Jan-2011, 16:24
I'm guessing (and its only a guess) that if its 125 film, its not Ilford. Or maybe mine isnt. but mine are all consistant with each other. They all say Arista Professional 125 or 400 right on the box and had the notch codes illustrated on the label for both 125 and 400. I've got a half dozen boxes dated 2003-2005. While everyone "knows" (ie believes) Arista was Ilford during that period, there's no guarantee that Freestyle didn't occasionally get batches from somewhere else. I would guess if its not FP4+ (and it seems there is a decent chance of that, since your packaging and notch codes are different) that you have the closest European equivalent, and I don't know what that would be. It would be helpful if someone who uses the current Arista chimes in with how it is packaged and notched-IIRC it just has the single V that a lot of Euro films have, and that only indicates which side is up.

Since you have such a limited supply, is it possible to cut it down to 4x5 and test it that way? I wouldn't recommend my methods for anyone else, since I'm kind of a clumsy hack (or just not terribly technical). You could try it but you might end up wasting more film. I came up with my EI and development time using a very simple method described by Steve Simmons in View Camera 3-4 years ago. I tested with 4x5 film and technically I should have done separate tests with 8x10, but I have used my 4x5 EI and dilution/times with satisfactory results on 8x10. It only takes a half dozen 4x5s to get the testing done right, so you could do it and only lose 2 sheets of 8x10.

Robert Vigurs
22-Jan-2011, 19:41
I shoot mine at asa 64. Out of date, Y2K, 2 "U"s. 50 would work well

Randy
22-Jan-2011, 20:00
Thanks Wayne. Since I have very little of this film - probably 14-16 sheets, I guess it probably isn't worth spending a lot of time testing just so I'll have a good ISO and development time for what little I have remaining. But then again - I could waste time shooting pictures and none come out properly exposed and developed.

I guess since I like to shoot but don't like to test, I'll just run with your exposure time and development on a few and adjust from there. Then when I run out and start on some new film, I'll do it right and test (sure you will...how many times have I heard that before...)

Wayne
22-Jan-2011, 22:01
I am not a tester either. I only did some when I read that simple method in VC, but I was glad I did. But with only 15 sheets I'd probably just shoot it too.