PDA

View Full Version : Shelby Lee Adams on Ovation Channel

Bill_1856
19-Jan-2011, 20:45
The program is called "The True Meaning of Pictures."
It is his early work of dirt-poor people in Applachia, shot with a tripod mounted Linhof monorail.

Marco Milazzo
26-Jan-2011, 14:06
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about Shelby. Lee Adams' work. It's not because of the subjects -- they're interesting people, and I know Adams identifies with, and has respect for them. But I've always thought that his pictures don't need the technical quality of 4X5. In fact, it's the wrong tool to give us a candid look into other people's lives. I feel like the subjects are waiting patiently while he sets up the shot, and by the time he's ready, all spontaenity and livliness are gone. The 4X5 isn't a responsive tool. A MF amera will give you plenty of technical quality, and be for more responsive to the moment.

Just my opinion -- don't beat me up for expressing it.

bob carnie
27-Jan-2011, 06:58
It is a good point, but as Shelby explains the actual mechanics of setting up the lights and equipment give his subjects time to relax with him and Shelby has time himself to get into zone.
He has now moved to dslr digital and making colour prints along side the 4x5.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about Shelby. Lee Adams' work. It's not because of the subjects -- they're interesting people, and I know Adams identifies with, and has respect for them. But I've always thought that his pictures don't need the technical quality of 4X5. In fact, it's the wrong tool to give us a candid look into other people's lives. I feel like the subjects are waiting patiently while he sets up the shot, and by the time he's ready, all spontaenity and livliness are gone. The 4X5 isn't a responsive tool. A MF amera will give you plenty of technical quality, and be for more responsive to the moment.

Just my opinion -- don't beat me up for expressing it.