PDA

View Full Version : Of Dinosaurs and Unobtainium

Ed K.
18-Jan-2011, 00:01
While rummaging through the various film surplus today, I unearthed one unopened package of 4x5 type 55, and a few sheets sitting in an opened box. Figuring that the open sheets were probably the least likely to be good, I tested one out. To become an immortal member of those who have had their portrait taken on 55, naturally there was only one choice for the test subject.

Exposed at 50 using studio lights, a nice negative was produced, just as if this were a few years ago. The stuff really keeps.

Given that there are probably vast hoards of the stuff hidden away in the caches of some million packrat geezers, but taken with the thought that some people allegedly sold out of the stuff at $230US per box after production ceased, it would seem that Type 55 is some kind of rare thing today, a Jurassic period example of what is, or will be, the stuff of unobtainium. Normally, I’d just shoot it and think nothing more of it.

In this case, there seems to be a call to do something greater with it, to see it off with a good shot. Selling it would be dropping to a lower level than a ticket scalper.

So here is question for you thoughtful large format artists:

If you had the last of an old friend film type that has no real replacement, as Type 55 is in this case, what would you do? A series with just the one box? Portraits of your friends? Keep it until the year 2012 to see if it can be used to reboot the Mayan calendar? Offer each of your friends a piece of it?

Ummm, no more nice clean Quickloads with their neat little packs, so compact. Nearly purchased the last of them from S’s today, Grumble, grumble! So, while Velvia and Provia 4x5 are still around in cut sheets, they too have a certain portability that makes them “special”, and again, the same concept applies.

Brian C. Miller
18-Jan-2011, 00:46
I have a full pack of Type 55, exp 07, in the fridge. I've had the quandry for some time.

But what did I use it for originally? As a convenience. I prefered Kodak Readyloads, and I still have several boxes of those. I mean, really, I have a "special" roll of Verichrome Pan. I've decided that all of my miscellaneous rolls are now Holga fodder, bar none.

I don't know if selling it would be like scalping it or not. Come on, the stuff isn't being used. Flat out, it just isn't that important. I have Fuji pack film and a Polaroid 550 holder. PITA, but usable, very usable. Was I ever really fond of the Polaroid for being Polaroid? It was what I used to verify a shot, or make some personal shots, or something like that. If I sell it, it will go to someone who will use it, and be oh-so-glad to have it.

If I were going to shoot it, I would have to be using Type 55 for its negative. That was the biggest selling point of the film. So what shouldn't be shot with it?
- Still lifes. Really, who cares?
- Assorted nature stuff. Still life, but outdoors and rooted in the ground.
- People? I don't know anyone personally who would actually understand and appreciate that their portrait was being made with some of the last of this film. I might as well be photographing my cat.

For me, it boils down to one thing: somebody else has to shoot the film.

William McEwen
18-Jan-2011, 14:15
I don't know anyone personally who would actually understand and appreciate that their portrait was being made with some of the last of this film. I might as well be photographing my cat.

I don't think it's especially important that my portrait subject would appreciate the awesomeness of Type 55. I sure would enjoy using it.

Like large format in general: Plenty of my portrait subjects (not all) would probably be just fine with me using my Nikon D-40 instead of my 8x10 Wisner.

BTW, any of you ever use 8x10 Polaroid? Lovely, lovely stuff.