PDA

View Full Version : Omega Pro Lab 4X5, Omega Universal D5500 and Zone VI Cold Light. Does not seem to fit

tautatis
17-Jan-2011, 15:34
I just acquired a very reasonably priced set of a Zone VI Cold Light head and Stabilazer.

I would like to fit one of my two Omegas above with the Zone VI Cold Light. Unfortunately, it seems, at least for the D5500, it does not accommodate the Zone VI Cold Light. It is also obvious that, both Omega enlargers seem to have the same size condenser chassis.

My questions are:

1. Do both enlargers unable to accomodate a Zone VI Cold Light? Do I need a special fitting/adapter for it to work?

2. If they do accommodate the Zone VI, could someone please help guide me to properly fit the Zone VI Cold Light on either of the Omegas above.

3. If there is a manual somewhere on how to fit Zone VI on Omegas, I will appreciate your directions.

Thanks a lot,

ic-racer
17-Jan-2011, 15:47
I'm not familiar with the Zone VI cold light, but, it is designed to fit a 'standard' Omega D enlarger, it probably fits on the parallelogram lifting aparatus. That lifting aparatus is an OPTION on the D5500 to let it take the 'standard' Omega D heads. There was one of those adapters on e-bay last winter, but they can be hard to come by.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/775582161-universal-hi-lift-mounting-kit-for-prolab-ii-d5500-condenser/

tautatis
17-Jan-2011, 16:55
ic-racer,

Thank you, Actually, I have exactly what you referred to in your note. The D5500 I have is a 4X5 Universal Variable Condenser - different from what you have (saw it in your darkroom pictures). Any further hint, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Sampson
17-Jan-2011, 17:58
The Z-VI cold light is a drop-in replacement for the Omega condensers; the condenser housing is retained. This leaves you the question of what to do with several large pieces of glass, the corrugated aluminum spacer, and the standard lamphouse that sits on top.
It's possible that you have a Z-VI cold light made for a Beseler or other enlarger; the Z-VI/O CL is circular, about 6-1/2" in diameter.

ic-racer
17-Jan-2011, 20:38
As Mark posted, maybe it is not the Omega one. Can you post a picture of it. Just about any head can be adapted, but some are easier than others.

Just over the weekend a local friend who has never enlarged before picked up a D5500 with the condenser head. I'm planning on having him just use it as it is with the condenser head with some Ilford filters in the drawer. I really think it is going to work fine. Also, there is the possibility of experimenting with sone diffusion material to convert it into a diffusion head.