PDA

View Full Version : Benefit Portfolio raffle for John and Teri Wimberley

Robert Brummitt
17-Jan-2011, 10:22
John Wimberley is an important photographer, teacher and friend. As an acknowledged craftsman of the highest order, his work is known and collected all over the world. As an instructor, his calm demeanor, reflection and helpful thoughts have provided insight as well as practical guidance for an untold number of photographers. When his wife Teri was recently diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (Bone Marrow Cancer) we were all shocked and saddened. They have been dealing with her illness as best they can, but are struggling financially as they are without health insurance due to a preexisting condition.
We, whom John has touched with his fine work and teaching, have put together portfolios of photographic prints to be raffled off to help raise money on their behalf.
There are ten portfolios - each containing 15 signed images, personally printed by the respective artists. Collectively, these portfolios - along with other regional fundraising efforts - represent the work (as well as the heartfelt best wishes) of the following fine art photographers:

Neil Poulsen, Gary Stallsworth, Eric Rose, Gene Kennedy, Robert Brummitt, Wade Myers, Michael Stathatos, David Lorenz Winston, Julie Young, Thomas Glassman, Sean Bagshaw, Diana Standing, Len Lea, Vitaly Geyman and Lorraine Richey

Raffle tickets are $10 a piece. Only 120 tickets are to be sold. Once all the tickets are sold, names will be drawn and winners announced. Buy as many tickets as you can! Only 120 tickets will be sold! Your chances of winning are great. Greater if you buy more! But, only one winner per name drawn, we want ten different winners to enjoy these wonderful portfolios.

Checks, cash or paypal will be accepted. Send to Robert Brummitt at this address.
CONTACT Robert Brummitt
154 SW Salix Terrace
Beaverton, OR
or thru paypal
robert8x10@comcast.net
please as a gift and pay the fees. More money lost is less for John and Teri.

Let Robert know how many tickets you wish to buy and give your full name, mailing address and phone number.

If you wish to give money directly to John, here is his paypal account,
tjwimberley@charter.net

But, this is not entering you into the raffle.

More to come!!
Robert Brummitt

Here is more information about Teri's condition. She's been diagnosed with Multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells in which abnormal plasma cells multiply uncontrollably in the bone marrow and occasionally in other parts of the body.

People often have bone pain and fractures, and they may also have kidney problems, immunocompromise, weakness, and confusion.
Diagnosis is made by measuring the amounts of different types of antibodies in blood and urine and confirmed by a bone marrow biopsy.
Chemotherapy drugs and corticosteroids are often used for treatment.

Normally, plasma cells make up less than 1% of the cells in the bone marrow. In multiple myeloma, typically the majority of bone marrow elements are cancerous plasma cells. The overabundance of these cancerous plasma cells in the bone marrow leads to the increased production of proteins that suppress the development of other normal bone marrow elements, including white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets (cell-like particles that help the body form blood clots).
Often, collections of cancerous plasma cells develop into tumors that lead to loss of bone, most commonly in the pelvic bones, spine, ribs, and skull. Infrequently, these tumors develop in areas other than bone, particularly in the lungs, liver, and kidneys.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec14/ch175/ch175c.html

Richard Wasserman
17-Jan-2011, 11:04
Robert,

This is so sad in so many ways. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 6 years ago, I will be buying raffle tickets. John and Teri will be in my thoughts.

Robert Brummitt
17-Jan-2011, 20:08
Thank you, Richard! That's just wonderful.
Come on folks, Ten dollars gets you a chance to have a really nice portfolio of 15 prints!
It's not much to ask and you'll get a good warm feeling to know you have helped one of our best photographers around.
Drop me a line, email me or simply buy over Paypal. It's for a good cause.

Scott Walker
17-Jan-2011, 21:07
Is this open to people outside of the USA, I realise shipping costs could be an issue. Either way count me in

Robert Brummitt
17-Jan-2011, 22:17
Is this open to people outside of the USA, I realise shipping costs could be an issue. Either way count me in

It's open to everyone! Its for a good cause!!
I'll be counting you in.
:) :) :)

Scott Davis
18-Jan-2011, 09:58
Robert-

count me in for a donation.

Robert Brummitt
18-Jan-2011, 15:40
John Kennedy said,“One person can make a difference and every person should try.”
I'll add that change that to "Anyone can make a difference and everyone should try."
We're off to a good start. Those of you who have bought tickets, I say Thank you. Those of you who haven't? Let's make that difference for John and Teri Wimberley.
Ten dollars.

Kerik Kouklis
18-Jan-2011, 17:23
Robert,

I'm in. My best wishes to John and Teri.

-Kerik

Robert Brummitt
18-Jan-2011, 19:59
Thank you all!
Here is how I believe I am thought not as elegant in speech. And not as skinny! :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyEc7FAMTg

Wayne Lambert
19-Jan-2011, 07:33
Thanks for doing this, Robert. I'll send through Paypal. My best wishes for the Wimberleys.
Wayne

Robert Brummitt
19-Jan-2011, 08:57
We're 1/3 of the way folks in only two days. This is a good cause to help a great photographer and his wife. I'll let you know that this raffle is but one part of what we are doing to help them. We're also gathering photographs from some of our more known members of our photography community for a Benefit Print auction on eBay. John Sexton, Christopher Burkett, Don Kirby, Charles Cramer, Steve Anchell and our very own Vaughn Hutchins are donating. Plus many more!
So if you wish to save your money to bid on these names? Great but here with the raffle you may get some pretty nice images for only 10 dollars. And you have a better chance of winning if you buy more tickets.

Scott Walker
19-Jan-2011, 09:55
Put a money order in the mail yesterday, the lady at the post office said you should have it by Monday.

bvaughn4
19-Jan-2011, 20:24
Paypalled you for a couple today. Best wishes and prayers for your friend and her family.

Bill

Robert Brummitt
20-Jan-2011, 08:18
Some of you have been very generous... Scott Davis and Kerik Kouklis. :-)
Thank you.
I want to share with you this story.
I got an email from a retiree from Medford Oregon. She wanted to buy ten tickets. A hundred dollars. I know that this person is on a limited budget herself and I asked her to simply buy the last few tickets if I needed her.
"But, those people are in more dire need then I" she replied. "So, please let me buy more then a few when the time comes" I could see her heart was true. So, I will hold a few tickets for her to buy but not 100 dollars worth.
If a retiree can offer to buy more then her fair share then maybe you can buy a ticket or two?
Ten dollars wil go far for John and Teri.

Scott Davis
20-Jan-2011, 10:55
Robert-

even though I've never met John and Teri, I consider the photographic community, especially the large format/wet darkroom community, to be my extended family. Since I have the ability to be able to help others out, it's the least I could do.

Andrew ren
21-Jan-2011, 05:36
Thanks for doing this, Robert.

I will do some paypal work.

Best wishes to Teri and John.

Andrew

Robert Brummitt
21-Jan-2011, 08:57
Let me share with you, John has been in such dire way that he had to sell Camera gear and family heirlooms on eBay to make ends meet. When I told him that we are working to help, he is very grateful to all of you who have rallied around him in this hour of need.
We're almost to the finish line! Ten dollars buy a ticket or you can give directly to John.
tjwimberley@charter.net

resummerfield
21-Jan-2011, 10:45
I sent you a Paypal, Robert. Thanks for doing this!

Andrew ren
21-Jan-2011, 11:02
I sent you a Paypal, Robert. Thanks for doing this!

just a clarification.

tjwimberley@charter.net this is Teri and John's paypal account.
--
back to 2005, when i was at my turning point from color slides to black and white, everything was not working fro me, my mind, my eye, my technique, and my skill. It was John helped and sort of guiding me thru the difficult time.

Andrew

Robert Brummitt
21-Jan-2011, 11:12
just a clarification.

tjwimberley@charter.net this is Teri and John's paypal account.
--
back to 2005, when i was at my turning point from color slides to black and white, everything was not working fro me, my mind, my eye, my technique, and my skill. It was John helped and sort of guiding me thru the difficult time.

Andrew

Your are correct, Andrew.
tjwimberley@charter.net is John's paypal account. If you wish to make a direct gift to John, go there. If you wish to enter in the raffle? You need to go to robert8x10@comcast.net on paypal.
I'm collecting the money and then giving to John in one large sum.
Thank you.

Robert Brummitt
22-Jan-2011, 12:42
I have a few tickets left! But I would like to direct your attention to another way to support John and Teri. PhotoCentral in Hayward, California are selling portfolios of John's top 9 prints. They are currently going for $700+. The 8x10 prints are encased in a real nice box.
Contact Geir Jordahl of PC and get more info. Here is contact info.
Geir & Kate Jordahl, 510-881-6721
Email: info@photocentral.org

Later I will share with you some of the wonderful prints other photographers are giving to John to sell on eBay.

Thank you for your support.

Jan Pedersen
22-Jan-2011, 19:28
Just made another contribution Robert. Let's get this one closed so John and Teri can get some money.

Robert Brummitt
23-Jan-2011, 19:16
OK Jan you get Jan, You get your wish!! I'm closing the raffle!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xELEOs-_cY

I have but a few tickets to sell and I'm saving those for folks here in the Portland Metro area and PPF meeting. But I want to say that this went really well. Photographers and friends of John have come forward and gave what they could and have touched John deeply.
I will be doing the drawing of the winners the first week of February. This will give those who are mailing me their checks time to do so. I will be sharing the names of those who won. This was a great fun and if you still wish to contribute to John and Teri here is there paypal account,tjwimberley@charter.net
Thank you all for your contributions.
Boy, I sound like OPB!! :-)

Kirk Keyes
24-Jan-2011, 14:22
But I would like to direct your attention to another way to support John and Teri. PhotoCentral in Hayward, California are selling portfolios of John's top 9 prints. They are currently going for $700+. The 8x10 prints are encased in a real nice box.
Contact Geir Jordahl of PC and get more info. Here is contact info.
Geir & Kate Jordahl, 510-881-6721
Email: info@photocentral.org

I bought one of these portfolios and every print is wonderful! The prints are gorgeous, and they come nicely boxed. Really top notch work.

Kirk