PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Grafmatics Holders and Airport

Hugo Zhang
14-Jan-2011, 10:14
I am taking a two week trip to China for the Chinese New Year and I will take my Saber camera and three loaded Grafmatics holders and a monopod.

Monopod will be packed into my checked luggage and somehow I can not drive off my fear that some inspectors will insist on opening these holders to satisfy their curiosity.

No, I am not planning to bring my jumbo Harrison tent.

Is my fear is misplaced? Any better ideas? Or just take the chance?

Thanks,
Hugo

Kevin Crisp
14-Jan-2011, 10:53
At least leaving the US and coming back from Heathrow I was somewhat surprised to find that Grafmatics generated zero interest to the carry on screeners. In fact my compact back with a Crown, grafmatics and three lenses has yet to raise an eyebrow.

Sideshow Bob
14-Jan-2011, 11:06
Why not bring a small changing bag? Grafmatics are easy to load and unload.

Gale

Hugo Zhang
14-Jan-2011, 11:55
Why not bring a small changing bag? Grafmatics are easy to load and unload.

Gale

I traded my pup-up for a jumbo one for ULF sheets a few months ago.

tgtaylor
14-Jan-2011, 12:24
I traded my pup-up for a jumbo one for ULF sheets a few months ago.

If it was an even trade, then you got a heck of a deal Hugo. I purchased a used pup tent for backpacking with LF: the pup weighs less and packs better than my standard tent.

Thomas

Ari
14-Jan-2011, 12:26
Just let them go through the security scanner with the rest of your equipment; it won't have any effect. I went through six scans in the space of 10 days and none of my film was affected.

Frank Petronio
14-Jan-2011, 19:15
I think we traded tents, there was some $ exchanged as well.

I think the Pup Tent is a bit larger than I want to bring in my carry-on but.... I would probably bring film in the sealed box, unloaded Grafmatics, and check the Harrison. If the worst case happened and you lost the Harrison then you could always use a bathroom or other dark space to load your film.

Thomas Greutmann
14-Jan-2011, 22:31
I have take a Crown Graphic and a bunch of Grafmatics on a trip from Germany to the U.S. and back about a year ago. No issue with the Grafmatics, but they hand-inspected the Crown and swiped it for explosives when flying out of Germany. Everything on relaxed and friendly terms, the inspectors were basically curious.

I would not worry.

Greetings,

eddie
15-Jan-2011, 01:01
put them into a bag you know will not get any attention....like the empty computer bag.....they should slip right on through.

why carry them loaded? one of your friends must have a changing bag he can lend you.....or load em at night in a bathroom.

have fun.

eddie

IanG
15-Jan-2011, 02:30
Carry them unloaded, it's easy to load/unload film in a hotel bathroom or similar as Eddie says, in fact it's what I always do anyway.

It's not worth the risk of losing the film, I had equipment checked and swabbed flying last month, and had to open up my Super Graphic after it was swabbed. The same would happen with a Grafmatic back.

Ian

rguinter
21-Jan-2011, 11:06
I agree with Eddie and Ian.

I've only carried loaded film holders once, on a trip last year returning from Quebec City to USA.

The inspectors wanted to open the film holders even after they had gone through the x-ray scanner. I had to beg them not to open the ones with exposed film and they (eventually) agreed they could leave them closed.

But after that incident I decided it is unwise to go through checkpoints with loaded film holders.

My opinion.

Bob G.