PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Arca Swiss catalog (other than B&H catalog)

Sergey Zhupanov
3-Apr-1999, 07:04
The only listing of Arca Swiss cameras and system components I found was in the B&H on-line and printed catalogs. I could not find anything on the w eb, and so I guess one would have to be ordered and received in paper form from somewhere. Would you happen to know where one may get the catalog? Thanks very much, sergey.

Ellis Vener
3-Apr-1999, 12:47
In Eurpoe, try:

ARCA-SWISS Phototechnik AG

Martin Vogt

Einsiedler Strasse 535

CH-8810 Horgen, Switzerland

011-41-1-725.6160

fax: 011-41-1-725.6437

Martin Vogt: arca-swiss@swissonline.ch

In the USA:

Arca-Swiss

442 West Belden

Chicago, IL 60614-3816

fax: 1.773.248.2774

If you haven't already seen it there is a review of the new Arca Swiss F-Metric camera in the march/April 1999 issue of View Camera that does much to exp lain why Arca cameras are so highly thought of. The article also discusses the O rbix modification to existing (or new) F front standards.

Mike Long
4-Apr-1999, 02:10
The Arca Swiss catalog is beautifully done but it confuses me a bit (possibly be cause of the large number of configurations available). I am trying to figure out a 6x9 configuration but wi sh to have 300mm of bellows, not 200mm and, I want to use a 47mm with it.

Assuming a package of 47mm thru 250 mm (not a tele), it looks to me like I would need an extension rail and an additional bellows (maybe 2 - one for wide and one for the longer lens).

Ellis & others, can you help with this. Am I reading it right or way off base.

Mike

Bob Salomon
4-Apr-1999, 08:22
Of course you could simply use a Technikardan and go from 35mm up without any added rails or accessories other than the bag bellows, Fewer parts and pieces = faster and simpler operation in the field.

The 69 version has 12" of extension but the 45 has 20" and takes non tele lenses longer than 240 so it can get in close.

And a 45 with roll film can shoot 612 which a 69 can't sho

Kurt
4-Apr-1999, 09:14
Oh Bob, we don't post comments about Linhof cameras because we don't know them w ell...............

Mike you have following options: get a F -classic or F -metric 6x9 (telescopic 1 2" monorail: extension 18") and a long bellows 20"; with this combination (one extra bellows) you can use lenses from 45mm up t o 480mm depending on the ratio. The 35mm requires a wide angle bellows necessarily. Note: the 47mm requires a 15mm recess ed lens board if you wish to use the Universal leather bellows which comes with the camera. If you wish going larger you still have the option to add a format-set 4x5" to your 6x9 camera with which you can cover all formats from 6x6 to 4x5". (If you're sti ll not satisfied? You can also use the 4x5" frame from the format-set in the front and then go up to 5x7" or even 8x10" with the same camera. The function carriers are designed for 8x10" on all ARCA-SWISS cameras.) Please contact us directly if you need any further information.

Kind regards

ARCA-SWISS / Customer Service

Merton Gaudette
4-Apr-1999, 15:03
Greetings! I too am planing the purchase of my first Large Format system: an Arca-swiss 4x5 or 6x9 F-Metric. I haven't quite made up my mind on which format yet. I think I need more info. Lacking a catalog, I am having a tough time configuring a syste m and have numerous questions. Perhaps our resident Arca Swiss users could take a look at my proposed system configuration (below) and make some suggestions? TIA!

Arca-Swiss Large Format System

Arca-Swiss F-Metric 4x5 (or 6x9?) w/Orbix Tilt

Question: Is the 4x5 F-Metric available in a Compact version? I plan to work 70% studio, 30% location (both urban and rural).

Rodenstock Grandagon-N 65MM f4.5 Center-Filter for above lens Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 135MM f5.6 Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 210MM (or 240MM?) f5.6

Question: Will I need additional Bellows and/or Rail to use the 240MM lens for T abletop/Still Life/Small Product Photography? (Computers, Radios and telephones; not watches or jewelery) I will be shooting a lot of rollfilm in the 6x7 forma t (at least to start.)

Lensboard Adaptor (Tecknika to Arca) (2) 6x7 Rollfilm Holders

Question: Am I correct in assuming that the Rollfilm Holder Adapter is only requ ired for the 6x9 F-Metric, but not for the 4x5? : Will I need 6x7 Format Masks for the groundglass?

Wide Angle Bellows (?)

Question: Since Ill be working in the 6x7 Format, do I really need the Wide Ang le Bellows for the 65MM Lens?

Polaroid Back

Question: Will the Polaroid Back for the 4x5 F-Metric work in the 6x7 Format? Wi ll I need additional parts/equipment?

Bino Reflex Viewer Brain Box Cable Release 20" Lee Filter Kit (w/multislot foundation kit and Compendium Lens Shade) Lee B&W Filter Set/Pak Sekonic L-508 Spotmeter Gitzo Mountaineer Carbon Fiber Tripod Model G1228

Question: Will this tripod extend to 60" without raising the center column? I co uld not find the answer to this Gitzo's Site.

Thanks again! Any and all opinions welcome!

Mad Mert

Mike Long
4-Apr-1999, 16:29
Bob & Arca Swiss:

Thank you both for the information.

Mike

Ellis Vener
4-Apr-1999, 18:59
Merton,

"Arca-Swiss F-Metric 4x5 (or 6x9?) w/Orbix Tilt...Is the 4x5 F-Metric availab le in a Compact version? I plan to work 70% studio, 30% location (both urban and rural)." Unless you absolutely need the 6x9 version I would stick with the 4x5 version of either the F-Line camera. More versatile, and longer base rail extension built in. As an alternative version of the FC camera you could slide both front & rear standards onto on piece of the monorail and the leave the other piece on the lo wer bracket. This is how I have done it. or if you are just going to be using wi de angle lenses in your field work you could get a short bracket to mount the sh ort section of monorail. Since the only difference between the F-Line version of the camera and the FC version of the camera is the monorail & bracket, there is no difference.

Lenses: Rodenstock Grandagon-N 65MM f4.5 Center-Filter for above lens Rodenstock APO-Sir onar-S 135MM f5.6 Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 210MM (or 240MM?) f5.6

I think you need something in the 90-120mm range, and since you are going to be shootin g rollfilm, I would lean heavily towards the new, wonderful (and pricy) 110 Supe r Symmar XL. That could take the place of a possible 90mm & the 135mm.

Question: Will I need additional Bellows and/or Rail to use the 240MM lens fo r Tabletop/Still Life/Small Product Photography? (Computers, Radios and telephon es; not watches or jewelery) I will be shooting a lot of rollfilm in the 6x7 for mat (at least to start.)

Not in my experience, but I very rarely shoot with a 240mm for products that (re latively) big.

Lensboard Adaptor (Tecknika to Arca) I have an original Technika to Arca lensboard, but I have heard that these aren't made anymore by Arca. I have also heard that Keith canham of K.B. Canham Cameras makes just such an adapter.

< I>(2) 6x7 Rollfilm Holders. Question: Am I correct in assuming that the Rollfilm Holder Adapter is only requ ired for the 6x9 F-Metric, but not for the 4x5? : Will I need 6x7 Format Masks f or the groundglass?</I>

If you go the route i suggested above, (full size 4x5 camera vs. a dedicated 6x9 ) You can use either the Horseman 6x7 or 6x9, or even the Sinar Vario II roll fi lm holders.

Wide Angle Bellows (?) Question: Since I4ll be working in the 6x7 Format, do I really need the Wide Angle Bellows for the 65MM Lens?

Yes.

Polaroid Backs:

The standard Polaroid 545i works great. For small for mats of polaroid (polaroid pack films like 689 or 655,) you will need the Arca m odified Polaroid 405 back. you can make your own viewing masks.

Gitzo Mountaineer Carbon Fiber Tripod Model G1228. Question: Will this tripod extend to 60" without raising the center column? I could not find the answer to this Gitzo's Site.

Yes, but since you are already spending this much I w ould spend the extra and get the G1325 because of greater stability resulting fr om large "footprint" of the tripod base

Ellis Vener
4-Apr-1999, 21:58
I was wrong about the Technika to Arca adapter: here is a post from the 4x5 F-li ne comments page:

"I just received my F-line. For those of you like I with Technika 96x99mm lensbo ards, I also got the ARCA technika adapter, pn#200005. It is very nice (and is r ecessed like the standard F-line boards). It holds Technika boards tightly with no "play" at all."

Contributed by Phil Brandenberger (_phil@cs.swarthmore.edu_) on March 26, 1999.