PDA

View Full Version : Linhof technika III

cvansas
5-Jan-2011, 06:13
Dear readers,
I'm considering to buy a linhof technika III version 5.
The camera has a 127mm lens, a bellow with a minor light leak ( can be replaced ), a viewfinder and eight 9x12cm backs.

My doubts in the camera are not in the availability of suitable lenses and cams, but I don't know if the old 9x12cm film is still so widespread.

Are there alternatives? for example is it possible to use the old linhof technika III, 5 with 4x5 inch holders? And what brands of film suit to the classical technika III holders?

Cor
5-Jan-2011, 07:10
Hi I use a TechIII, version 5 already for 10 years or so.

Probably you know: http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

In my camera you can use the standard 4x5 holders without any problem.

I believe 9x12 film is available, try Foma or Efke

I never bothered to use the range finder, using this camera hand-held is not a viable option, and down plays all the advantages of sheet film, but that is my personal opinion.

Any lens (provided if it is not too large (a 90mm Super Angulon just fits) can be mounted.

You'll have to search or make your own lens boards, not too hard..there are no new new parts available for the III , Bob will tell you..

On the hole I like the camera a lot, not light weight, but very sturdy. The only real drawback is lack of forward tilt, curiously there is only back ward tilt. But there is a way around that, see the web page I mentioned.

Enjoy your camera,

Best,

Cor

Jfnphotography
5-Jan-2011, 07:28
I have a linhof technika III camera it's a great camera. Movement is smooth and it's built like a tank. Fast to set up if your lens folds into the camera. I have had no problems finding lens boards for it. I have also made my own. I have used lens from 240mm to 90mm. I have tried the range finder but normally use the glass for focus. One thing to think about if you use the range finder the cam must match the lens. The down side of the camera is weight, front movement, ground glass is dim and using wide angle lens, it’s a pain in the azz to use my 90mm lens, the lens sets almost inside the camera, hard to do any kind of movement.

Cor
5-Jan-2011, 08:30
and using wide angle lens, it’s a pain in the azz to use my 90mm lens, the lens sets almost inside the camera, hard to do any kind of movement.

90mm ain't that easy, but compared to my 65mm SuperAngulon it's a breeze..;-)

Just in case there is interest: My 65mm SA is mounted in a Schneckengang (love that word, it's an Helical Mount). The lens stays on the short rails inside the body, the back is moved out about 1 cm (I have piece of thick plastic which I use a s a spacer). I focus inside the camera body (I have relative long thin fingers :) )

Off course the bed is dropped at max, and only landscape orientation is possible..

best,

Cor

(anybody has a spare Tech IV.. :) )

Ari
5-Jan-2011, 09:09
Great camera, indeed. Not so great if you need lots of movements.
I kept an older Fujinon W 210 folded inside the camera; it just barely fit.
I found lots of accessories on eBay, not too expensive in most cases.
You should indeed replace the ground glass with something new and bright, get some 4x5 holders, they are cheap and plentiful right now, and as Cor said, don't bother with the RF; it requires having at least three hands in order to make the camera work smoothly.

seabird
5-Jan-2011, 14:01
Dear readers,
I'm considering to buy a linhof technika III version 5.
The camera has a 127mm lens, a bellow with a minor light leak ( can be replaced ), a viewfinder and eight 9x12cm backs.

Think long and hard about getting a Tech III. Nothing wrong with them (as other users have attested) but if you ever need spare parts then dont hold your breath... Make sure it is at least a v5 of the Tech III as that should have the international back that would allows you to use a roll film back. You may be better off considering at least a Tech IV (although more $). IVs use many of the same accessories as the current cameras - and also have front tilt - although, again parts availability may be a problem.

... I don't know if the old 9x12cm film is still so widespread.

You haven't told us where you are located. My understanding is that 9x12 film is/was the standard size in the EU and is still readily available. So possibly no need to junk those 9x12 holders.

Are there alternatives? for example is it possible to use the old linhof technika III, 5 with 4x5 inch holders? And what brands of film suit to the classical technika III holders?

Yes, you can use 4x5 darkslides. As for suitable 9x12 film... Personal preference and availability will play a role here. But EU suppliers are going to have a much greater selection than, say, US suppliers. E.g. AG Photographic (UK) lists 9x12 FP4+ (the only B&W film you'll ever need :) ) as a normal stock item. Freestyle (US) does not.

Best of luck. Technika's are great cameras.

engl
6-Jan-2011, 18:02
As for spare parts, people use all kinds of cameras built within the last 100 years just fine without spare parts available. The Technika IV or V is a considerably more expensive camera on the used market, which might not be worth it unless the front tilt is needed. You could just buy a second Technika III in case you break something (which is not easily done with a Linhof).

The lack of spare parts does not make it any more unsuitable as a camera than a Speed Graphic or a Zone VI.

Cor
7-Jan-2011, 03:29
As for spare parts, people use all kinds of cameras built within the last 100 years just fine without spare parts available. The Technika IV or V is a considerably more expensive camera on the used market, which might not be worth it unless the front tilt is needed. You could just buy a second Technika III in case you break something (which is not easily done with a Linhof).

The lack of spare parts does not make it any more unsuitable as a camera than a Speed Graphic or a Zone VI.

I agree,

The only spare parts I needed (guess the most likely candidates anyway, since these stick out the solid box anyway) are the aluminium screws for tightening and realising the back, these were severely bend when I got mine, luckily I could obtain those from a nice individual after posting a WTB..not sure if Tech IV knobs would work.

Other than that I cannot see other parts get broken with normal use.

Best,

Cor

Brian Ellis
7-Jan-2011, 07:04
Parts are a potential problem with any model Technika other than the ones in current production. It's my understanding that Linhof doesn't stock parts for any of the older Technika cameras commonly found on the market (Tech III, IV, and V). Of course the Tech III will be worse because presumably it has fewer (if any) parts that are common to the currently-produced cameras whereas with the IV and V you might get lucky and find a part that's common to the currently-produced model. But I think parts are a likely problem with all of them.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with "engl" that a Technika is no different than any other older camera with respect to parts. If a part for a wood camera isn't available one can usually be fabricated, if not by the owner then by someone skilled like Richard Ritter. But it's not always possible even for someone like Richard to just create a part for a metal camera. At least that's how it seems to me with my non-existent skills in both types of repair.

I'd also disagree with the idea that parts are unlikely to be needed for a Technika because they're so well built. While it's true that they're unlikely to "wear out" in normal usage, I've had both a Tech V and a Master Technika repaired, several times in the case of the Master. The Tech V was on a tripod when a strong gust of wind blew the tripod over and wrecked the back. The front rise mechanism on the Master just wore out and had to be repaired and then some of the rear knobs had to be replaced when the camera fell out of my camera bag as it was being lifted off the ground.

They're great cameras, the Master is by a wide margin my all-time favorite 4x5 camera of the 10 or so I've owned, but they're by no means indestructible. Personally if I was buying another Technika I wouldn't even consider a Tech III but that's obviously a personal choice.

Ivan J. Eberle
7-Jan-2011, 07:06
For about the cost of a new bellows for an old Technika you can find a whole, working, light tight Meridian 45B or Graflex Crown or Super Graphic. There's such a glut of 4X5s in the market that there's really no need to buy a camera with issues.

Bob Salomon
7-Jan-2011, 08:27
For about the cost of a new bellows for an old Technika you can find a whole, working, light tight Meridian 45B or Graflex Crown or Super Graphic. There's such a glut of 4X5s in the market that there's really no need to buy a camera with issues.

Ivan,

Those cameras have the same issues. They have been out of production for decades and, unlike Linhof, the companies that made them have also been out of business for decades.

Bob Salomon
7-Jan-2011, 08:37
Parts are a potential problem with any model Technika other than the ones in current production. It's my understanding that Linhof doesn't stock parts for any of the older Technika cameras commonly found on the market (Tech III, IV, and V)."

On the contrary, no parts are available for the III, there you are correct. But many parts for a Master fit a V and some for the Master fit a IV. The most commonly looked for parts like bellows, boards, backs, ground glasses, fresnels, compendiums, viewing aids, etc. are totally interchangeable between the oldest IV and the newest Master.

"Of course the Tech III will be worse because presumably it has fewer (if any) parts that are common to the currently-produced cameras whereas with the IV and V you might get lucky and find a part that's common to the currently-produced model. But I think parts are a likely problem with all of them."

No, some of them. But the III is old and there parts are not made. The newest III will be 51 years old in October. On the other hand, the oldest Master will be 39 years old in September!

There are no cameras discussed on this forum from a current manufacturer that approach the longevity of the Technika series!

"....... I'd also disagree with the idea that parts are unlikely to be needed for a Technika because they're so well built. While it's true that they're unlikely to "wear out" in normal usage, I've had both a Tech V and a Master Technika repaired, several times in the case of the Master. The Tech V was on a tripod when a strong gust of wind blew the tripod over and wrecked the back. The front rise mechanism on the Master just wore out and had to be repaired and then some of the rear knobs had to be replaced when the camera fell out of my camera bag as it was being lifted off the ground.

They're great cameras, the Master is by a wide margin my all-time favorite 4x5 camera of the 10 or so I've owned, but they're by no means indestructible. Personally if I was buying another Technika I wouldn't even consider a Tech III but that's obviously a personal choice.

Agreed, and Bruce Barnbaum, on location, opened his Master and the front bed fell off as somehow the hinge broke. That was so rare a problem that a new door and bed had to be taken off the assembly line and flown over for Bruce as we had never experienced that problem. He was down for about 72 hours while it was fixed. Anything can happen to anything at any time. Regardless of how careful or how careless someone might be. Things happen. But Marflex regularly repairs Technika cameras older then many participants here.

engl
7-Jan-2011, 10:28
Parts are a potential problem with any model Technika other than the ones in current production. It's my understanding that Linhof doesn't stock parts for any of the older Technika cameras commonly found on the market (Tech III, IV, and V). Of course the Tech III will be worse because presumably it has fewer (if any) parts that are common to the currently-produced cameras whereas with the IV and V you might get lucky and find a part that's common to the currently-produced model. But I think parts are a likely problem with all of them.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with "engl" that a Technika is no different than any other older camera with respect to parts. If a part for a wood camera isn't available one can usually be fabricated, if not by the owner then by someone skilled like Richard Ritter. But it's not always possible even for someone like Richard to just create a part for a metal camera. At least that's how it seems to me with my non-existent skills in both types of repair.

I agree that that a wood camera might be easier to repair, but I do not think the Linhof III is any different from a Speed/Crown/Super Graphic, Busch Pressman, B&J Press, MPP cameras, Meridian 45, not to mention all medium format cameras.

Getting a custom repair part for a wood camera would likely cost a lot, and a "spares" Technika III is not expensive. If putting the camera to very heavy use, something modern with more features and for which repair parts are easily available probably makes more sense than a Technika IV or V anyway. The person shopping for a Technika III probably has a limited budget and not the strictest of requirements, much like someone buying a Crown Graphic or a cheapo monorail (both popular, neither with spares parts).

I'd be a potential Technika III customer but I bought a MPP Mk7 instead, pretty much a clone, but it takes a 65mm lens on a flat board on the inner rails and cheaper to find one in great condition. Buying a Tech IV was simply not an option for me, too much money, even resale value considered.

Len Middleton
7-Jan-2011, 11:57
I agree that that a wood camera might be easier to repair, but I do not think the Linhof III is any different from a Speed/Crown/Super Graphic, Busch Pressman, B&J Press, MPP cameras, Meridian 45, not to mention all medium format cameras.

Getting a custom repair part for a wood camera would likely cost a lot, and a "spares" Technika III is not expensive.

engl,

Your comment on a spare unit, reminds me of my younger years when I was looking at restoring older cars (only looking then), and thought it would be an idea to buy two or three, to make one...

The problem is if the failure is systemic, all units may have that failure or weakness.

I cannot think of a common manufacturer's problem on any Technikas I have seen. However, I have seen a few where the pinion gear has machined the teeth off the rack in the infinity position, because the user applied excessive pressure on the focusing mechanism when the focus lock was on.

But your other point is valid, as many of us buy 50 year cameras not because we want 50 year cameras, but because it provides a functionality we might not otherwise be able to afford or justify.

As an owner of a bunch of photographic anachronisms, I do understand the situation.

Regards,

Len

Ivan J. Eberle
8-Jan-2011, 23:02
Ivan,

Those cameras have the same issues. They have been out of production for decades and, unlike Linhof, the companies that made them have also been out of business for decades.

Major difference being the obsolete cameras I mentioned all have synthetic bellows that are not prone to splitting and leaking even after 40-60 years, and which can commonly be purchased used with a guarantee of being light-tight. Conversely, the obsolete camera the OP is considering has a leather bellows already known to be in need of repair or replacement.

Bob Salomon
9-Jan-2011, 02:31
Major difference being the obsolete cameras I mentioned all have synthetic bellows that are not prone to splitting and leaking even after 40-60 years, and which can commonly be purchased used with a guarantee of being light-tight. Conversely, the obsolete camera the OP is considering has a leather bellows already known to be in need of repair or replacement.

Any bellows can dry out and split or tear or pin hole or disintergrate. They are also all subject to and effected by mishandling.

Ivan J. Eberle
9-Jan-2011, 07:39
In my admittedly limited experience, original Graflex and Meridian synthetic bellows are extremely tough and durable, almost to a freakish degree. So many light-tight examples exist even a half a century or more later that sellers can often be induced to warrant them as such and offer a refund if not.

There is such a glut of well cared for user cameras nowadays (even Tech IIIs) that no one need buy one with a known problem.