PDA

View Full Version : cold light head repair

robert taylor
2-Jan-2011, 16:34
The Zone VI VC cold light head on my D 5 stopped producing "hard" light as of yesterday. Produces yellow light as usual. I have a temporary fix with my old Aristo non vc head but...now I turn to you guys, the experts to ask for help. Since Zone VI is long defunct and even Aristo seems no longer to exist, I am nervously seeking options. Anyone know: A What the problem might be? B Who could fix it? C What might replace the head and do a better job? Regarding the latter, I am not madly in love with the Zone VI head since warm up time/light output has seemed a little quirky over the years (though I am used to it, which counts for a lot!). In the middle of this, a digital convert has made me a pretty good offer on an LPL 4550 with Dichroic head...so this opens a new can of worms to ask your advice on. Looking into it has brought up questions regarding excessive halogen light heat (at the negative) vs. cold light, respective light intensity affecting exposure times, dichro vs VCCE to print black and white and the general quality of that model of LPL enlarger. To focus this better, I print only black and white and print 645 and 4x5 on the D 5. Thank you all very much in advance for any suggestions you may be able to offer!

ic-racer
2-Jan-2011, 17:09
I'd just look for a Chromega D head for your D5. I see them frequently on e-bay and CL.

In terms of temperature, I measured the external housing of my 10x10 coldlight and got around 40C when it is warmed up. My 2000w 10x10 color head has an external temp around 40C with my usual 20 to 30 sec exposures.

I know this does not answer the question about heat at the negative stage on your "D" enlarger, but I'd think the Dichroic head and Zone VI coldlight would be similar (unless one is dimmer).

robert taylor
2-Jan-2011, 17:32
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not familiar with the Chromega D but I guess it would fit my D5 "Pro-Lab 4x5" even though it is about 1976 vintage. Were there issues with the Chromega D that you would advise me to look out for in used ones (especially in terms of black and white printing). Thanks very much for your time and thoughts on this. Robert

Gem Singer
2-Jan-2011, 18:40
Call Calumet Photo. (1-800-CALUMET).

Talk to the Tech. Dept.

They still have bulbs for the Zone VI VC heads, and might be able to replace your burned out one.

(At least they did a few months ago)

ic-racer
2-Jan-2011, 19:42
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not familiar with the Chromega D but I guess it would fit my D5 "Pro-Lab 4x5" even though it is about 1976 vintage. Were there issues with the Chromega D that you would advise me to look out for in used ones (especially in terms of black and white printing). Thanks very much for your time and thoughts on this. Robert

Not much to go wrong with a Chromega D head. They were in production from 1971 until present without much change (except for the external color and the wheel numbers).

robert taylor
2-Jan-2011, 20:39
My thanks to both Gem Singer and ic-racer for your answers. Gem, I will contact Calumet tomorrow--thanks. As regards the Chromega suggestion, there's an entire Chromega enlarger for sale on ebay for $250 so looks like your lead is a good one too, ic-racer, thanks for both of your responses. Robert

Kevin Crisp
2-Jan-2011, 21:18
This information is not quite two years old, but last time I needed a new tube this is who I dealt with:

Louise M. Kessler

Voltarc Technologies/Aristo Lighting Technologies, Inc.
Specialty Products Group
400 Captain Neville Dr
Waterbury, Connecticut 06705
e-mail: Louise.Kessler@voltarc.com
Ph: 203-578-3716
Fx: 203-575-3456

robert taylor
3-Jan-2011, 01:41
Kevin,

Thank you very much for the very complete information regarding Louise. I emailed her earlier and look forward to her reply, which of course, if received, I will pass along to forum users who may now or in the future need to replace their head. At this age, replacing the head on my shoulders would be an even better idea, but science seems not to have advanced quite that far yet...

Robert

John Powers
3-Jan-2011, 05:20
Just to cover the last base, the LPL 4550 comes very highly recommended with any of its three heads. Try searches here and on Apug.org. I have had a LPL 4550 VCCE XLG for several years. The only problem I ever read about these enlargers or experienced with any of the heads was light leaks. These can be taped over with gaffer tape as long a you leave enough room for heat exhaust. That mistake cost me a bulb, but they aren't expensive and are available at B&H.

I've now moved on to larger negatives and a cold light so I have the same worry as you.

Good luck.

John

Bruce Barlow
3-Jan-2011, 07:23
I love my LPL, and bulbs are available elsewhere than B&H for a fraction of the cost that B&H seems to want now. Bulbs seem to last 50 hours (a lot of printing!), but I'm on my third, and just got two spares.

A great enlarger with the VCCE head.

Gem Singer
3-Jan-2011, 08:23
The Zone VI VC cold light and the Aristo VC cold light are two different animals.

Calumet purchased Zone VI from F.Picker. They marketed the Zone VI VC cold light lamphouse.

Check to find out if Calumet still repairs a Zone VI VC lamphouse.

Do not ask a salesperson. Talk to a repair person at Calumet.

Kevin Crisp
3-Jan-2011, 11:23
I know that Aristo cold light heads were rebranded as Zone VI cold light heads when they were a standard item in the catalogue. Whether Fred went to Aristo for the tubes in the adjustable VC head I don't know, so Gem may well have a point there.

When I was ordering the V54 tube from the contact I gave you (for a Beseler 23) she implied they would "make one for me," so I think if you asked they would make you one. There have been other posts about whoever took over Aristo not being interested in this, and then thinking about getting back into it. So maybe if that contact is still there you could let us know.

Gem Singer
3-Jan-2011, 11:51
Kevin,

From what I understand, Fred had the tubes for his VC lamphouse made by a neon sign company, not by Aristo.

I owned an Aristo cold light head (snake in a flowerpot), and used it with my Omega D2. Tried to adapt the Aristo W45 tube (the V54 tubes was not yet available) with filters in order to print on VC papers.

After several conversations with Allen, the Aristo engineer, I realized that he was not a fan of Fred Picker.

Eventually, I replaced the Aristo with a Zone VI VC lamphouse that I purchased from Calumet.

The OP is asking about a Zone VI VC lamphouse.

robert taylor
3-Jan-2011, 12:07
I want to thank you all again. This is such a great community of users--I certainly plan to be more active in it in the future. I will sleuth that out with a tech person at Calumet, Gem, thank you for your specific information. The years go whizzing by and I can't pin the year I bought the Zone VC head-adapt to my D5 but I think Fred had already sold out to Calumet by then. The V54 replacement tube improved the vc characteristics on the high contrast end, is that correct, Kevin? Thanks Bruce and John for your LPL feedback. I have read here and on APUG the exchanges on dichro and VCCE for black and white and though it's obvious the latter would be an easy transition for me, some claim advantages with the dichro system...??...Anyway, also good to know ballpark bulb life of 50 hours--the cold light grids seem to last forever (almost!). I also did notice BH at $80 or so and an ebayer offering some bulbs for about $10--quite a spread. Regarding the larger negative, John, I've also asked Louise about replacement availability for my Aristo VCL 8100 so, assuming she answers, we'll get the scoop on that too. I will post all information of interest that comes out of this process as we are obviously all in the same funnel of narrowing options. Thanks again to all and if anyone has anything else to say or specific thoughts on VCCE vs Dichro printing I'd appreciate hearing from you (I'm stuck on this only because the "good deal" I mentioned has the dichro head on it).

Kevin Crisp
3-Jan-2011, 12:26
I don't think so. The V54 tube puts out an extraordinarily bright aqua blue that is then either used straight (grade 2 1/2 or so) or filtered with VC filters. It was the answer to the problem of trying to use yellow filters to tame the old white light tubes to use with modern VC papers. I read all the instructions on the yellow filters and tried that with no success on an old style tube. I got the V54 tube and was very pleased with it. My problem with trying to filter the old style tube was always too much contrast, not too little.

Gem Singer
3-Jan-2011, 12:58
Robert,

To answer your question regarding the Zone VI VC lamphouse:

It was designed by Picker, however, it was offered for sale by Calumet after they purchased Zone VI.

It had a blue neon tube for hard light and a green neon tube for soft light, with a rheostat controller to independantly control the output of the two tubes.

From your description, the blue neon tube has failed in your Zone VI VC lamphouse. It is not user replaceable. Calumet might be able to repair it.

The Zone VI VC lamphouse did not use Aristo neon tubes. The original Zone VI cold light heads might have used the Aristo W45 tube for a short time.

The V54 tube was available for later models of the Aristo cold light heads that were used for VC printing.

Zone VI and Aristo were two unrelated companies.

William McEwen
3-Jan-2011, 14:52
And those of you who use regular bulbs for contact printing (and in your safelights): You might want to stock up on bulbs. They're probably going away.

New U.S. standards require they become more efficient.

And we know what happens next.

They become improved right out of existence.

robert taylor
3-Jan-2011, 19:16
Kevin,

Thanks for jogging my memory about the V54. I remember now that it came into existence shortly after I had already invested in an 8x10 Aristo non-vc head that didn't come with it, and then it was a case of "Oh, crap, not MORE money!". I used the recommended Wratten filter for a few years (without the best results) and eventually gravitated to the Aristo 8x10 VCL. The old 8x10 lamp still resides in the basement and, who knows, like the old 4x5 Aristo non vc that's saving my butt in this emergency, it too may rise to the occasion in the future. Thanks again for your input.

John Powers
4-Jan-2011, 07:05
I also did notice BH at $80 or so and an ebayer offering some bulbs for about $10--quite a spread. Regarding the larger negative, John, I've also asked Louise about replacement availability for my Aristo VCL 8100

Some clarifications:

I burned out one LPL VCCE bulb when I first got the enlarger and overdid sealing light leaks with gaffer tape. I eventually cut the top off a paint spray can to use to direct the excess light leaks away from the easel while still cooling the bulb. Possibly we are talking about a different bulb. I never paid $80. My memory is of about $2.50. That bulb and the spare I bought (I would remember $160) are still fine, though as I said I moved on to other formats (two years after replacing the bulb).

My Durst 138S 8x10 conversion uses an Aristo 1212 head. Louise said producing that bulb is two years away, if at all. She said they are prioritizing based on what bulbs they expect will sell best. 1212 supposedly is not high on the list.

John