PDA

View Full Version : Keeping gear from getting stolen...

schafphoto
1-Jan-2011, 13:52
As I am outfitting a Toyota 4Runner as a photo-mobile, I'm curious to hear about your strategies and failures in keeping gear safe.

Some of my tactics are:

1. Limo-tinting the rear windows on the car, then covering all equipment with a ugly blanket and throwing some newspapers on top.
2. No visible custom electronic eqipment in the car or on the dash to entice.
3. car alarm with blinking light (though no one listens, it would still require a thief who wanted to swipe something to work more quickly that in peaceful silence. (or am I just kidding myself?)
4. Bike-cable locking all my cases together so that they are virtually impossible to move. (Five 60# Pelican 1600 cases randomly strapped together makes for a slow getaway)
5. Parking close to people, or lot attendants, never Valeting, even if it means paying the Valet rate, and making sure Hotels in big cities have on-site parking. Taking all cases up to the room, usually only leave the tripod under the blanket in the car.
6. No stickers on the car that say "Steve's Photorama- We Do Photos" (so people can infer that there is photo gear in the car. I always wonder about this when I see photographers use their vehicles for rolling billboards... does this really work?
7. No address on my web postings, website, I have a PO Box, and get B&H shipments at my wife's work which is open 9-5.

I realize that some of these just prevent the smash & grab theft and if someone has the time to open my cases and unload my gear into their van then most are mute. But even though I can't run fast I could probably catch a guy with 2 60# Pelican cases. (Not sure what I'd do if I caught him though...)

That's all I can think of for now...
any ideas?

vinny
1-Jan-2011, 14:12
My buddies that have pickups have made giant sliding drawers in the beds that can be locked. Carpet on top to match. Cabela's sells these but they're easy to make. You could likely build something like that on a smaller scale.

John Powers
1-Jan-2011, 15:52
As I am outfitting a Toyota 4Runner as a photo-mobile, I'm curious to hear about your strategies and failures in keeping gear safe.

1. Limo-tinting the rear windows on the car, then covering all equipment with a ugly blanket and throwing some newspapers on top....
any ideas?

For a 2003 Toyota Highlander (similar in shape to the 4Runner) I had a convertible top shop make a tonneau cover using same color upholstery material. It connects to the front seat head rests and by Velcro in the back with the factory provided storage area cover. It gives an unbroken line from the front seats to the rear door at the bottom of the window level. When looking through the factory tinted windows everything is the same color and all shapes are lost.

I carry either an 8x10 or a 7x17 mounted on a big Ries and a baby jogger under the cover. For long trips I carry both cameras mounted on tripods under the cover and the baby jogger in a trailer hitch mounted 2x4’ steel basket out back. The baby jogger out back gives no indications that there are cameras inside. When people see me get in they just think it is Grandpa (age 70) going to pickup the kid. Everyone who has seen it liked it except the US Customs inspector at Buffalo, NY who said, “He just loved to look in SUVs because he could see everything at a glance.” When his face turned sour I flipped up the Velcro.

John

Steve Feldman
1-Jan-2011, 18:06
. . . . . . 'nuff said. :D

Keith Pitman
1-Jan-2011, 18:22
A musician friend never leaves his instruments in his vehicle.

Bill_1856
1-Jan-2011, 18:28
Stay out of Chicago and Detroit.

Robert Ley
1-Jan-2011, 18:40
I have a Thule Adventurer that is on the top of my GMC Suburban.
It can carry an amazing amount of gear and locks very well. I am sure a determined thief might be able to get in but not quickly and not discreetly.

I also have much the same kind of theft deterrent as Steve only mine is female and very gentle, but most people looking inside my truck might not want to find out. She also has the added advantage of being a great traveling companion.;)

I have traveled all over North America with my camera gear and either I have been lucky or careful, but I have never had any equipment stolen. I will have to admit that I have been a little nervous leaving my truck at some trail heads.

If you are going into some parts of some cities, all bets are off:(

Greg Miller
1-Jan-2011, 18:45
I'm always careful about who sees me putting gear in, and taking gear out of my vehicle. I think a common cause of theft is people seeing you walk away with photo gear and then breaking into the vehicle (even if they don't get anything it still sucks to have the windows broken or doors jimmied). So I always kill time in the parking lot until I can open the back, grab my gear, and walk away from my vehicle with no-one seeing my tripod. That also means that I pack my gear in advance so that when I arrive at my location I can just grab and go - no standing around moving lenses and camaras from bag to bag.

I have also heard stories about people who have been followed back to their hotel. So when leaving a location, I keep an eye out for anyone following me.

tmastran
1-Jan-2011, 19:23
. . . . . . 'nuff said. :D

That's what I do also. I always get asked "Does she bite?". Me, "If she has to.".

schafphoto
1-Jan-2011, 19:31
My two cats will be no help... but the rest of the suggestions are just what I was looking for.

Thanks

Bob Kerner
1-Jan-2011, 19:39
I have a giant Pelican case that can hold a few bags and a small tripod. The case is chain locked to the luggage tie downs in the cargo area of my car. The case gets locked too.

John Kasaian
1-Jan-2011, 19:48
An old cooler. The more beat up the better. Make sure it dosen't have "Coleman" or "Igloo" on it if you want to keep your gear safe from bears though! They can read!
Duct tape works well on old coolers---no one is interested in anything a duct taped cooler would have to offer.

Tim k
1-Jan-2011, 19:50
With all due respect. Not putting a link to your address and what kind of car your driving, on the net.

Bill_1856
1-Jan-2011, 20:12
I wonder if Michael and Paula ever got any of their stuff back?

cdholden
1-Jan-2011, 20:13
That's what I do also. I always get asked "Does she bite?". Me, "If she has to.".

Mine isn't a pitt, but a mix. She shows her part black labrador and can be very aggressive when on her leash. I prefer to answer "Will she bite?" with "She won't bite me. I'm the one that buys her food. If you've got insurance, I'll let you try to pet her."
So far, I've never had a stranger test their luck.

Fred L
1-Jan-2011, 20:19
I was looking at something like this recently but plans changed. Bolted to the floor or attached securely otherwise, I think it'd be pretty safe storage for gear and will be a heavy bastard to haul away. I do have one for gear storage at the office along with a Pelican 1650 but trust the Greenlee more.

http://www.mygreenlee.com/GreenleeDotCom/Products/main.shtml?greenlee_category_id=7&product_category=155&adodb_next_page=1&adodb_next_page=2&adodb_next_page=3&adodb_next_page=4&adodb_next_page=5&adodb_next_page=4&adodb_next_page=1&adodb_next_page=2&adodb_next_page=3&adodb_next_page=1&adodb_next_page=2&adodb_next_page=3&adodb_next_page=4&portalProcess_2=showGreenleeProductTemplate&upc_number=38717

Sirius Glass
1-Jan-2011, 20:54
Put a "I only use film" bumper sticker on the car. The thieves will look elsewhere!

Steve

lenser
1-Jan-2011, 20:57
It doesn't hurt to drive a vehicle that looks every bit of it's 250,000 miles. My mechanic keeps it in great shape and nobody else gives it a second thought so far.

Sirius Glass
1-Jan-2011, 21:04
It doesn't hurt to drive a vehicle that looks every bit of it's 250,000 miles. My mechanic keeps it in great shape and nobody else gives it a second thought so far.

Like this one?

rguinter
1-Jan-2011, 21:13

Gotta agree with that!

I inherited a Ford minivan after a divorce. I can leave it open with the keys in it and the engine running... complete with all my camera gear visible on the back seat... and no self-respecting thief will even look inside. I even had the dealer remove the theft alarm because I simply didn't feel like dealing with it.

Bob G.

Frank Petronio
1-Jan-2011, 21:16
I'm starting to think that we don't need to have anything worth stealing anymore... less valuable cameras, Kindles and Smart Phones instead of laptops, all the important stuff in one daypack....

rguinter
1-Jan-2011, 21:20
Sounds like you need a TrunkMonkey!

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/2005/01/18/trunk-monkey-4-thrown-off-a-bridge-suburban-auto-group/

Bob G.

Vaughn
1-Jan-2011, 21:58
I try keep it to one format so I can take it with me and not leave another unattended in the vehicle all day.

My bicycle is maybe 15 years old, and not top of the line back then. I keep it locked, but it is not the bike of choice amongst thieves.

domaz
1-Jan-2011, 23:17
None of these options protects against theft of the entire vehicle. You are actually more vunerable driving an older vehicle to theft because parts are in more demand for them and they have no theft deterrent systems (i.e. RFID/FOB keys etc..).

Richard Mahoney
2-Jan-2011, 03:29
It doesn't hurt to drive a vehicle that looks every bit of it's 250,000 miles. ...

Yes it's sometimes best to appear poor. An anecdote (from a country where conspicuous expenditure has often been frowned upon) ... I remember having been told of a fellow who quietly made his pile breaking in marginal blocks on the East Coast of the North Island. His approach was simple: he bought cheap, burnt off, sent in the goats, then sowed. Within a few years each block became a decent run. The thing that stuck in my mind though were his cars, or rather, how he treated them. ... Whenever he bought a new car he always smeared it with used bearing grease and axle oil. As most East Coast roads were still dirt and metal this meant that they were soon completely covered with dust and grime. Apparently he never washed them until it came time to sell. And then, with the thick film removed, they apparently looked like new. While he was driving them they didn't attract attention, and he could quietly go about his business, but when he wanted to sell them, they scrubbed up well. I don't think anyone thought he was an idiot ;)

Best,

Richard

Allen in Montreal
2-Jan-2011, 09:21
The smash and grab problem in Montreal is so bad now that I am required by my insurance to drive a car with a separate trunk. No mini vans, no SUV, no wagons etc, or I am not insurable.

I have a trunk safe, I disconnect the trunk release cable and lock the split seats at all times. And of course, I have alarm, which does nothing for the quick hit but the insurance insists on an alarm thinking the thieves won't put the time into breaking the trunk safe while an alarm wails.

I am not insured for anything stolen from the back seat area of the car.

I never put gear in the trunk and walk away from the car. If I must move gear to the trunk, I do it a few blocks before I need to park. There have been a few guys here who put gear in the trunk, went to lunch and came back to find the trunk empty. :mad:

It has been a long while since my last loss, it is a pain in the ass but it seems to work.

schafphoto
2-Jan-2011, 12:19
With all due respect. Not putting a link to your address and what kind of car your driving, on the net.

Well the 5x7 format thieves on this forum are not the ones I'm worried about... But I know you're out there. That's why I didn't post that it's white;)

I must admit the duct tape on old cooler is a truism... maybe a biohazard stencil painted on the side.

–Stephen Schafer
I don't live in Ventura and I don't drive an SUV with equipment in it.

Tim k
2-Jan-2011, 12:25
I don't live in Ventura and I don't drive an SUV with equipment in it.[/I]

That should do it. :)

jp
2-Jan-2011, 14:24
There are occasionally news articles showing what the most likely cars to get stolen are. Avoid anything on the list or anything like that on the list. I bet a 4-runner could be a popular target, but I haven't seen the list of favorite cars to steal in quite a while.

I drive an '89 Saab hatchback. Belies status in a serious way. Most people think they are ugly, they are almost never stolen. I have removed the radio and left a hole in the dash. Most people that drive such a car are high school kids or poor college kids with hand-me-down cars from cheap parents. I throw a jacket over what is valuable, and the whole interior tends to be messy.

I had someone break into it once; I don't know if it's called breaking in, but the car wasn't locked. They stole some CDs from the center console, half of which I didn't like, and left my Nikon 300mm lens (in padded case) right on the floor. Thieves are after stuff they can quickly and easily sell in return for their next fix of drugs. Things like CDs, radar detectors, stereos, and whole cars are prominent on their list. Focus on those temptations first, and keep the photo gear out of sight second.

I don't drive popular vehicles, but have often wondered if you put several antennas atop the car/suv if thieves might consider it a potential police vehicle. Maybe they don't look hard at those things, I don't know. The thin blue line stickers are an option, but it could come back to bite you when you get pulled over and get talking about it with the officer.

If someone wants to find you at home and steal your stuff, there are ways besides finding your name on here. They just have to see a photo credit somewhere, look you up with public information, and you're found without having to use internet forums like this. You might not want to post on facebook that you're going away for two weeks and nobody is home, that's just not wise Internet activity.

tmastran
2-Jan-2011, 15:56
Mine isn't a pitt, but a mix. She shows her part black labrador and can be very aggressive when on her leash. I prefer to answer "Will she bite?" with "She won't bite me. I'm the one that buys her food. If you've got insurance, I'll let you try to pet her."
So far, I've never had a stranger test their luck.

Mine are actually big babies, but it seems to keep the riff-raff away while inviting kids and boy scouts who I enjoy showing how that big strange camera works.

Robert Ley
2-Jan-2011, 16:18
I like the "Trunk Monkey" idea the best. Had a very hearty LOL on that one!

redrockcoulee
2-Jan-2011, 17:01
[QUOTE=jp498;668225]There are occasionally news articles showing what the most likely cars to get stolen are. Avoid anything on the list or anything like that on the list. I bet a 4-runner could be a popular target, but I haven't seen the list of favorite cars to steal in quite a while.

I drive an '89 Saab hatchback. Belies status in a serious way. Most people think they are ugly, they are almost never stolen. I have removed the radio and left a hole in the dash. Most people that drive such a car are high school kids or poor college kids with hand-me-down cars from cheap parents. I throw a jacket over what is valuable, and the whole interior tends to be messy.(end quote)

A couple of years ago I had my Saab 900 convertible parked on the street instead of on the driveway and in the morning was thinking I did not lock it the night before. Sure enough the doors were unlocked, but also the windows were are down and so was the top. It was far from the only time I left my cars unlocked but usually on the driveway. My 87 hatchback sat in the back parking lot of a rental house waiting to donate its transmission to my 88 hatchback and its stereo was still there when I parted it out. But I have had a 20 dollar sprinkler taken off the front lawn though.

On the contrary most people seem impressed with me having classic 900s and have drove them for almost all the period from Sept 1990. Alas neither are on the road right now, convertible needs some work and now the hatchback has a transmission I really do not need it so it will be insured in the spring or summer.

I think luck is also a big factor as is where one lives. So far I have been more than lucky. As far as where one lives, when my father in law passed away his kids looked really hard for the house keys and then gave up thinking perhaps he never did get them as when he had the house built 20 years earlier. And the keys were in all the trucks too even when he went to town and he was not an exception in the community.

tgtaylor
2-Jan-2011, 18:56
[QUOTE=jp498;668225]I think luck is also a big factor as is where one lives. So far I have been more than lucky.

My experience as well.

A few years back I was out looking for photographs with my Pentax 67II MF system in downtown San Francisco on a Saturday morning. I decided to stop at the Borders store on Townsend and Third, no doubt to pick up a View Camera, Lenswork or Focus magazine -none of which I subscribed to at the time. I found a parking spot on Townsend and 5th and put the camera, tripod and pack in the trunk with an Hakuba aluminum case containing the rest 67 lens and walked to the Borders.

Located at Fourth and Townsend is the San Francisco terminus of the CalTrain station which carries passengers from Gilroy (about 30 miles south of San Jose) to San Francisco daily and is a focal point for the city's homeless population which push their shopping carts up and down Townsend. It's also one of the few areas in the downtown without parking meters and is constantly cruised by drivers looking for a cheap parking spot.

Apparently I never closed the trunk and when I returned about 40 minutes later I spotted the trunk slightly ajar about 5 or 6 inches. I raced to the car with heart pounding fully expecting to see all my Pentax MF gear which I spent years accumulating gone. Unbelievably it was there!

I guess no one noticed the trunk open or, if they did, everyone was honest that morning. In either event, I was lucky that morning.

David Carson
2-Jan-2011, 19:31
I've got but one tactic: Never leave a camera in a car.

John Kasaian
2-Jan-2011, 20:50
"A musician friend never leaves his instruments in his vehicle."

Especially true for Cello players. They know if it is left in sight when they come back they may have two in the vehicle.

It's the same deal with trombonists.

Frank Petronio
2-Jan-2011, 21:13
Rather than steal, what I like to do whenever I can break into a car with large format equipment is to swap all the lenses' aperture scales around. Then I like to remove any shims from ground glasses and flip fresnels around. Remove any lock washers. And my all time favorite? Poking holes in bellows with a fine gauge needle.

It's fun to draw a piece of 100 Grit over the front of those Schneider XL lenses too ;-)

It's much more satisfying and how can I fence the junk anyway?

msk2193
2-Jan-2011, 21:20
A friend came by showing off the new security system he had to put in a certain vehicle.

Cameras, not much bigger than a pencil eraser, hidden in the side mirrors, rearview mirror, and by the rear window facing forward. Everything is recorded and gets transmitted over the Verizon network to the vehicles' land-based server.

Incredible resolution and detail in the movie. Then there is the central locking and power door lock disabling feature preventing the rear "passanger" from ever leaving the car until the system is disabled via the wireless network.

Pretty impressive.

I just use limo tinting and carry great insurance!

schafphoto
2-Jan-2011, 21:54
I must say that if I didn't need 4x4 and a little more room, I'd just keep using the SAAB anti theft system that my last 3 cars have had. As posted earlier if you are wondering what car to get that will fit a 9' seamless and never gets stolen... a 80s-90s Saab 900 hatchback. Even my 9-5 wagon never gets a glance and it still looks new.
They are just too wierd and "ugly" to bother with. And the resale value sucks, it being a car with out a brand-name car-company to back it. I miss my SPG.

Michael Cienfuegos
3-Jan-2011, 10:16
"A musician friend never leaves his instruments in his vehicle."

Especially true for Cello players. They know if it is left in sight when they come back they may have two in the vehicle.

It's the same deal with trombonists.

Same goes for Violas.

Preston
3-Jan-2011, 10:34
The same for Rick Denny's tuba. :-)

Sorry, Rick. I just couldn't resist. ;-)

If you plan to put your stuff in a hotel room, be sure your insurance will cover it.

--P

Sirius Glass
3-Jan-2011, 17:00
I must say that if I didn't need 4x4 and a little more room, I'd just keep using the SAAB anti theft system that my last 3 cars have had. As posted earlier if you are wondering what car to get that will fit a 9' seamless and never gets stolen... a 80s-90s Saab 900 hatchback. Even my 9-5 wagon never gets a glance and it still looks new.
They are just too wierd and "ugly" to bother with. And the resale value sucks, it being a car with out a brand-name car-company to back it. I miss my SPG.

It seems like a lot of people here have Saab stories. :(

Neal Chaves
5-Jan-2011, 05:08
When I was assisting David Mendelsohn www.davidm.com in the 80s, we once had a location job in a big cancer center hospital in Boston and picked up some nice "Caution: Medical Wastes" stickers. Put them on all the cases, and even flew with them, never a problem.

rdenney
5-Jan-2011, 05:55
The same for Rick Denny's tuba. :-)

Sorry, Rick. I just couldn't resist. ;-)

If you plan to put your stuff in a hotel room, be sure your insurance will cover it.

--P

Hey, I keep leaving a tuba in my car hoping that will happen. But it never seems to.

True story: When I lived in Austin many years ago, I went to dinner with a trumpet player after a symphony gig (not, not a professional symphony--I would not want to put across the wrong impression). My tuba was in the back seat, and his trumpet was in the floor in the front seat. We came out, and the window was smashed and his trumpet was gone. My tuba was still there.

Also true: I maintain insurance on my musical instruments for full replacement value, using Clarion, a reseller of special inland marine policies for musicians. It covers all possible mishaps in any setting, except for attack by vermin, corrosion, or rot. Is there something similar for photography equipment?

Rick "noting that risk management does not mean risk elimination" Denney

Sascha Welter
5-Jan-2011, 06:28
It covers all possible mishaps in any setting, except for attack by vermin, corrosion, or rot. Is there something similar for photography equipment?

There was, but now that the new pictorialists came along you have to pay extra to get corrosion or rot (not sure about the vermin).

rdenney
5-Jan-2011, 07:36
There was, but now that the new pictorialists came along you have to pay extra to get corrosion or rot (not sure about the vermin).

Heh. Vermin=fungus. I've often thought fungus is a cheap replacement for one of those expensive Zeiss Softar filters.

Fungus, rot (aka, dezincification of the brass), and corrosion are bad on tubas, though, despite the prevalence of green slime that seems to emerge from mine when I least expect it. Mostly, I think the clause was aimed at termites and rot in old wooden instruments. Interestingly, mechanical wear is not excluded in the policy.

Rick "no, I don't have pictures" Denney

Steve M Hostetter
5-Jan-2011, 08:39

Some of my tactics are:

1. Limo-tinting the rear windows on the car, then covering all equipment with a ugly blanket and throwing some newspapers on top.
2. No visible custom electronic eqipment in the car or on the dash to entice.
3. car alarm with blinking light (though no one listens, it would still require a thief who wanted to swipe something to work more quickly that in peaceful silence. (or am I just kidding myself?)
4. Bike-cable locking all my cases together so that they are virtually impossible to move. (Five 60# Pelican 1600 cases randomly strapped together makes for a slow getaway)
5. Parking close to people, or lot attendants, never Valeting, even if it means paying the Valet rate, and making sure Hotels in big cities have on-site parking. Taking all cases up to the room, usually only leave the tripod under the blanket in the car.
6. No stickers on the car that say "Steve's Photorama- We Do Photos" (so people can infer that there is photo gear in the car. I always wonder about this when I see photographers use their vehicles for rolling billboards... does this really work?
7. No address on my web postings, website, I have a PO Box, and get B&H shipments at my wife's work which is open 9-5.

I realize that some of these just prevent the smash & grab theft and if someone has the time to open my cases and unload my gear into their van then most are mute. But even though I can't run fast I could probably catch a guy with 2 60# Pelican cases. (Not sure what I'd do if I caught him though...)

That's all I can think of for now...
any ideas?

My FORD truck came with a blinking light.. I think the only thing Toyota comes with is a LOT of bad Karma :D

joselsgil
7-Jan-2011, 00:10
A lot of good advise in this thread. Personally, I have never had any camera equipment stolen. I have had cars broken into but only the stereo and speakers were taken. My company work van was stolen from in front of my house. It didn't have a lot of equipment in it at the time, but it still came out to 8k worth of equipment. From what I was told by the Los Angeles County Sheriffs, one of the most popular vehicles to steal are work pick up trucks or vans, since most of these have tools and the tools can be sold easily for a few bucks.

I keep my camera bags or cases covered by a cheap blanket or coat. Just follow the rule, "out of site, out of mind". The windows are tinted on my older Volvo wagon. If the thieves can't see anything valuable, they will move onto the next juicy target. No Pelican cases and try to keep my cases looking like poo.

Chances are that if a thief sees something worth while in your car, he may steal your whole vehicle and go thru the vehicle somewhere were they can strip the vehicle. They can usually steal a vehicle in less than 30 seconds. A club anti-theft device is a good visual deterrent. It slows down the theft, and they will usually move onto an easier target.
There are vehicle immobilizers that cut off either the power to the fuel pump or the vehicle's ecu. This will keep them from hot wiring the car and driving away. They can be added in addition to a vehicle alarm system.

My future plans call for training a western diamond back rattle snake to protect my car. Only problem I can see is that they will bite the hand that feeds them.

Dan Fromm
7-Jan-2011, 02:47
I've lost camera gear only once, a Domke bag full of Nikons, lenses, and much of the trip's exposed film.

The circumstances under which the bag walked are a little unclear. It was set down next to the vehicle when we were preparing to leave Cap Hatien, may not have been loaded. Or someone opened an unlocked door and took it later that day while we were some distance from the vehicle.

Two morals. Make sure you put your gear back in the truck. Lock the truck. Not a moral: don't take complete boneheads (they'll say the same of me) into the field.

Dave Jeffery
15-Jan-2011, 04:33
There are various versions of gun safes that could be laid down and bolted in. If you built a wooden frame over top for a bed, or storage, the safe would be a bitch to break in to. They are not all that heavy, and they can be reinforced more if you like.

http://www.basspro.com/StackOn-RTA-8Gun-Cabinet/product/65532/-1125397

Brian C. Miller
15-Jan-2011, 04:46
From Tesla Down Under (http://www.tesladownunder.com/):

Tesla car theft protection (http://www.tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm#Tesladownunder Car Theft Protection)
http://www.tesladownunder.com/TduCarTheftPreventionRedDark600.jpg

Yes, it's a time-elapse photo. But doesn't it give you some great ideas?

eddie
15-Jan-2011, 05:35
i drive an ugly POS with the inside in disarray. no one is going to paddle through all that shit. works great. even in NYC.

eddie

MumbleyJoe
24-Feb-2011, 15:49
Also true: I maintain insurance on my musical instruments for full replacement value, using Clarion, a reseller of special inland marine policies for musicians. It covers all possible mishaps in any setting, except for attack by vermin, corrosion, or rot. Is there something similar for photography equipment?

I'd like to know the same!

I recently tallied up the rough cost of fully replacing what's in my camera bag and was frankly a little shocked. There's the rough approximation based on the big items' cost, but when you add in all the accessories and widgets it's really disturbing (and my gear isn't exactly top of the line).

I'm not sure where to begin looking to insure all of that.

Also, "special inland marine policies for musicians" made no sense to me at all. :)

Alan Gales
24-Feb-2011, 17:49
I know that Tuffy Security Products makes a welded steel box for Toyota Four-Runners as well as many other vehicles. It's got a sliding drawer and should be very well made. They rave about Tuffy products for Jeeps in JP magazine. The only downside is that it won't be cheap!

pdmoylan
24-Feb-2011, 20:36
Garbage bags.

neil poulsen
25-Feb-2011, 00:35
I had an urge one time to get a personalized license plate with "SHTRBUG" written on it. I resisted for security reasons.

Beyond that, I rarely, if ever, leave my camera in the car or trunk. I have a light weight backpack that I use, so that I can carry my outfit on my back rather than leave it in the car. I'll leave my tripod in the trunk, because it's easily replaced. But, not my camera outfit.

But if something should happen, all my equipment is insured for replacement value.

John Kasaian
25-Feb-2011, 08:44
In public, if you carry a machete, a grapefruit and a bottle of vodka around wherever you travel, and always have a blank stare in your eyes, people will tend to leave you and your gear alone.
Trust me, this works!

E. von Hoegh
25-Feb-2011, 09:05
94 pounds of Dobermann-Pinscher.

bobwysiwyg
25-Feb-2011, 09:56
Garbage bags.

Hmm, I like this one.

Michael Kadillak
25-Feb-2011, 19:59
Stay in one floor motels where you can park directly in front of your room and take all of your equipment with you in your room. In the field, cover your equipment with blankets and lock your doors and try not to stray to far from your vehicle. Just always be aware. If you know that you are parking at a trail head for the day, don't leave any photo equipment in your vehicle period.

Steve M Hostetter
26-Feb-2011, 06:02
diamond plate toolbox on the pick-up truck and a centry gun safe in the house

Don Hutton
26-Feb-2011, 06:55
Install one of these on your car - alternatively, install it on your 8x10.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

jeroldharter
26-Feb-2011, 09:29
I've thought about buying a magnetic sign for the side of my truck that says:

Homeless Shelter Transport

or

Medical Waste Transport Vehicle

toolbox
26-Feb-2011, 10:32

It doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on that as your only security... When I was in college, I had a '73 Chevy 4x4 with a 4" lift, 35" tires, and covered in primer and rust. It was pure ugly... I had a bunch of expensive stereo equipment hidden behind the seat (you had to look for it to find it). I kept it parked in the alley behind my house...sure enough, one night some bozo got into it and cleaned it out. I've had three of my vehicles broken into over the years (and I live in relatively crime free places). Now I just don't leave anything in the car worth stealing. When I take gear out for a shoot, it's pretty rare that I bring more than I'm going to actually pack with me (unless I'm shooting a wedding or something when I bring a ton of gear).
If you're going to be leaving a lot of gear in the car a lot, a locking box bolted to the floor seems like it would be the best bet. If a thief is determined enough, they'll find a way to get your stuff...but deterring the smash and grab crowd will probably keep it safe. Insuring your gear is a good idea too.

rdenney
27-Feb-2011, 00:06
Also, "special inland marine policies for musicians" made no sense to me at all. :)

An "inland marine" policy is sort of insurance jargon for a marine-type policy (that covers cargo) for use in non-marine situations. Any time you buy insurance for equipment when it is outside the home, it will be some variation of an inland marine policy.

Rick "yes it's confusing" Denney

Keith Pitman
4-Mar-2011, 20:50
It doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't count on that as your only security... When I was in college, I had a '73 Chevy 4x4 with a 4" lift, 35" tires, and covered in primer and rust. It was pure ugly... I had a bunch of expensive stereo equipment hidden behind the seat (you had to look for it to find it). I kept it parked in the alley behind my house...sure enough, one night some bozo got into it and cleaned it out. I've had three of my vehicles broken into over the years (and I live in relatively crime free places). Now I just don't leave anything in the car worth stealing. When I take gear out for a shoot, it's pretty rare that I bring more than I'm going to actually pack with me (unless I'm shooting a wedding or something when I bring a ton of gear).
If you're going to be leaving a lot of gear in the car a lot, a locking box bolted to the floor seems like it would be the best bet. If a thief is determined enough, they'll find a way to get your stuff...but deterring the smash and grab crowd will probably keep it safe. Insuring your gear is a good idea too.

A '73 Chevy would have been new when I was in college!

Jerry Bodine
5-Mar-2011, 11:30
Keith, this is not intended as one-upsmanship, but it does bring up old memories. Two years out of college, I bought a ’58 Chevy new (what a beast, overpowered and under-cooled!) which I traded in 4 yrs later for a new Mercedes roadster (yeah, those were the days) which was adequate for my 35mm stuff. Another 4 yrs passed and I got hooked by LF and the vehicles have grown bigger and bigger and bigger ever since, and you won’t hear me complaining.

Clyde Franklin
8-Mar-2011, 01:42
From my travelling musician days-In fast food locations,sit where your cor is in full view.

searover
22-Aug-2012, 20:40
I really like the Tesla system, the trunk monkey sounds good, but the P could start to develope the film. We had Rotwielers, but they wore out the springs in the old Saab that nobody got near. You should have seen that car hop up and down when that 125 lb bitch barked when someone mistakenly walked by...

So in my darkly tinted '93 paint faded Land Cruser I use PPA.com insurance. For 323/yr (29/mo) You get $15,000 of coverage paid for by joining PPA that covers "Loss due to fire, theft or equipment breakage Worldwide, off-premises or “on location” coverage" called PhotoCare.

I hope to never make a claim, but If I do better than crying in my beer.

John

http://www.ppa.com/joinppa/

PS. I worked on a boat years ago, that laid over in Old Port of San Juan, PR, we hired the dock masters brother to watch the boat, gave him a gun to stand watch & he took off with the gun - you never know....

Kuzano
22-Aug-2012, 22:23
Like this one?

That would be one of the most attractive vehicles to drug addicts, meth cooks, etc on any wayside up and down the Oregon Coast. If you parked that for at least two hours in every wayside up and down the coast, you would likely get an attempt at break-in three out of five waysides.

I drove an old suburban... 1969, with plenty of rust through around the rockers. I installed a metal (thick plate) tool box from a small pickup in the back along the side. Overlapping lids, massive center hinges and bulletproof Stanley locks with protected locking bar, precluding bolt cutters. Rigged this up after losing one very expensive camera on a Coast trip. This box was welded to the floor in the back of the Suby. Even at that, still got an occasional broken window. Never lost anything though after they saw the box. I did not attempt to hide the box. Once they saw the security and trouble to get into it, they rarely attempted anything. I've never seen a parking lot thief carry a cutting torch.

Steve Smith
22-Aug-2012, 23:48
Keep a tiger in there.

Steve.

mdm
23-Aug-2012, 00:35
I have not locked the door of my house in years, even when I am away on holiday. Earlier this year I left my MF Fuji in the changing room at the gym, when I remembered where it was a week later, it was at the permamently unattened front desk waiting for me. I am grateful to live where I do.

Joseph Dickerson
23-Aug-2012, 07:43
NANPA, North American Nature Photographer's Association has a group insurance policy that covers your gear, well, you camera gear anyway, while you're traveling. I insure $20K worth of stuff for right at $600 per year. It's a good policy as far as I can tell, and a lot cheaper than anything else I found. I know a lot of people just add a rider to their home owner's policy but I make my living at this so that's not an option. Besides, NANPA is a great organization.

I bought my Sportsmobile from a photographer friend and he had installed heavy duty hasps to the inside of the front and side doors and a double hasp to the rear doors. The ones on the front doors have vinyl flaps that cover them when they're not in use. I just put heavy duty locks on the doors and slide out the back and put a fourth lock on the outside. Then I arm the alarm, and make sure the Great Pyrenees is on the bed in the back. No problems so far.

I have considered keeping everything in a banjo case but that could be overkill. :rolleyes:

JD

Corran
23-Aug-2012, 07:50
I assume my beat-up Toyota Camry with junk strewn all over the rear seat keeps them away. Or I've just been lucky. I usually cover stuff at least with my darkcloth or jacket if I'm leaving the car unattended somewhere.

I've had a ton of recording gear sitting in the car overnight in parking decks worth triple what my camera gear is worth with no trouble. It's all in nondescript boxes and cases anyway. I figure if they don't know what it is they won't bother in case it's something they can't resell easily.

Steve Barber
23-Aug-2012, 07:59
From my travelling musician days-In fast food locations,sit where your cor is in full view.

And take a twelve guage, minimum 7 shot, pump gun to your room. I do and, not only are they not taking my camera, they are not going to be around to bother yours, either.

Kirk Gittings
23-Aug-2012, 08:09
I like your list and do most of those. Its really about slowing them down to where it is too risky vs. the potential payoff. Even with all the commercial jobs I have never had my car broken into. There is no way to really stop a determined thief. I also like to keep some gear in Non photographic looking cases-like old Igloo Playmate coolers with lunch written on the outside with a magic marker. I also feel more comfortable when my truck gets older and a bit tarnished.

Steve Smith
23-Aug-2012, 08:30
And take a twelve guage, minimum 7 shot, pump gun to your room.

Thankfully, not allowed in my country.

Steve.

Kuzano
23-Aug-2012, 09:48
I like your list and do most of those. Its really about slowing them down to where it is too risky vs. the potential payoff. Even with all the commercial jobs I have never had my car broken into. There is no way to really stop a determined thief. I also like to keep some gear in Non photographic looking cases-like old Igloo Playmate coolers with lunch written on the outside with a magic marker. I also feel more comfortable when my truck gets older and a bit tarnished.

Have you looked at the statistics on HUNGER in our country. "Lunch" may be the wrong word to put on the outside of a cooler.

I'm thinking a container with the words "Soiled Diapers" may be more off-putting for thieves.

Pawlowski6132
23-Aug-2012, 10:27
Stay out of Chicago and Detroit.

Watch it.

Further, I try to not cary things in a bag that is branded; Nikon, Canon, Lowepro, etc.

rdenney
23-Aug-2012, 10:53
NANPA, North American Nature Photographer's Association has a group insurance policy that covers your gear, well, you camera gear anyway, while you're traveling. I insure $20K worth of stuff for right at $600 per year.

That actually seems a bit high, compared to other inland-marine policies. I use my membership in the Chamber Music Association to get discount rates from Clarion Insurance for an all-risk policy to cover my musical instruments. Clarion is an insurance reseller for musicians. It covers all possible losses except rot and vermin, in or out of the house. I have about twice the coverage you have for about a third the price. Maybe cameras are more stealable than musical instruments, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that much different.

About 35 or 40 years ago, I had cameras stolen out of my car, and my homeowner's policy covered it pretty reasonably, except for the deductible. But most homeowner's policies have exclusions for professional use.

Rick "preferring to be in remote places where thieves find little opportunity for escape" Denney

Bill_1856
23-Aug-2012, 11:13
If you want more experienced advice, suggest that you email Michael Smith/Paula Chamlee-- he got major ripped off a few years ago.

Alan Gales
23-Aug-2012, 11:16
A Carpenter I once worked with on a construction job had trouble with people taking his tools. He took a can of spray paint and painted everything hot pink. He claimed he never had a tool stolen again.

Can you all just picture a hot pink Deardorff?

BrianShaw
23-Aug-2012, 11:21
I worked for a capenter (many, many years ago) who did the same thing, except he used a can of red paint. He also went out of his way to let everyone know that he doesn't wash his hands after using the port-a-potty. That dissuaded many a thief, I'm sure.

Corran
23-Aug-2012, 11:39
My uncle is a contractor and he had some tools stolen at a job site. The site was right next to a Pawn Shop and of course they had just purchased them from some low-life. My uncle politely asked if they had asked where he got them from, and they said no...so he just picked them up and left. They knew they had made a shady deal with someone who obviously shouldn't be carrying around really expensive DeWalt professional-grade tools so they didn't protest. Probably only gave him a few bucks for crack money.

Joseph Dickerson
23-Aug-2012, 11:42
That actually seems a bit high, compared to other inland-marine policies. I use my membership in the Chamber Music Association to get discount rates from Clarion Insurance for an all-risk policy to cover my musical instruments. Clarion is an insurance reseller for musicians. It covers all possible losses except rot and vermin, in or out of the house. I have about twice the coverage you have for about a third the price. Maybe cameras are more stealable than musical instruments, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that much different.

About 35 or 40 years ago, I had cameras stolen out of my car, and my homeowner's policy covered it pretty reasonably, except for the deductible. But most homeowner's policies have exclusions for professional use.

Rick "preferring to be in remote places where thieves find little opportunity for escape" Denney

Hi Rick,

I'm comparing the price to what I had to pay when I was in a studio. It's definitely cheaper then back then. But I admit I didn't do any comparison shopping. Perhaps I should.

JD

RichardSperry
23-Aug-2012, 14:33
Probably only gave him a few bucks for crack money.

Funny. We spend money to fight a fake made up crime, which then causes real crime to happen.

It seems like one big jobs and welfare program scam.

Anyway, the answer to the OP's question is to get insurance with a low deductible. An OnStar type service which called or texted you when your vehicle is broken into would be ideal. But then what are you going to do when you go out there to confront them; kill them? /shrug.

Brian C. Miller
23-Aug-2012, 14:58
Two things jump to mind:
One, a fellow's car stereo kept getting stolen. He finally got tired of it and taped razor blades to the back edge. One night soon after that he found his car broken into again, and there was a lot of blood all over the floor and the dash. No more problems.
Two, a couple of women saw a kitty get hit on the freeway, and they pulled over out of sorrow and pity and picked the cat up and put it in a shopping bag. They then went to a restaurant, and decided to leave the bag containing the corpse outside the car. They then went inside the restaurant for lunch, and sat at a table where they could see their car. As they sat, they saw a car stop next to theirs, and the woman driving it got out, grabbed the bag, got back into her car, and drive off. A few minutes later, the same woman entered the restaurant, with the bag, sat down at a table and ordered her lunch. As she waited for lunch, she opened the bag to see what it contained. She then turned absolutely white, and fainted. The restaurant called an ambulance, which carted her off, along with the bag. (Yes, I did hear this through the grape vine, but I did hear it before it made the newspaper, and the newspaper verified at least 75% of the information.)

So: tape razor blades in thief-accessible places, and carry some roadkill in Nieman-Marcus shopping bags.

Serge S
23-Aug-2012, 16:11
The smash and grab problem in Montreal is so bad ...

I remember when I was living in Montreal when the production of Cats was playing in town. Thieves broke into the car and had stolen the script and all the stage documentation and the show was subsequently delayed if I recall correctly (it was in the late 80's) until things could be straitened out.

Kirk Gittings
23-Aug-2012, 16:22
Have you looked at the statistics on HUNGER in our country. "Lunch" may be the wrong word to put on the outside of a cooler.

I'm thinking a container with the words "Soiled Diapers" may be more off-putting for thieves.

:)

Bill_1856
23-Aug-2012, 16:45
. (Yes, I did hear this through the grape vine, but I did hear it before it made the newspaper, and the newspaper verified at least 75% of the information.)

Well if you didn't see it on the Internet, then it's probably not true.

rdenney
23-Aug-2012, 18:15
The razor-blade trick is a story I heard 40 years ago and every few years since. I wonder if anyone has ever actually done it, and not just fantasized about it.

Problem is, booby traps that are intended to cause bodily injury or death are against the law. The crook might be liable for attempted theft, but he or his family could sue you. They'd win.

Rick "who'd rather lose the stereo than have to clean up the blood" Denney

Drew Bedo
23-Aug-2012, 18:35
Don't let them see what you have and keep it locked up. Here in Texas (or anywhere hot): Not a good idea to leave your kit in the car anyway.

For another sugestion do a web search (images) for "Smile Wait For Flash"

Brian C. Miller
23-Aug-2012, 19:15
The razor-blade trick is a story I heard 40 years ago and every few years since. I wonder if anyone has ever actually done it, and not just fantasized about it.

Well, it was related to me as first-hand experience. I've used this trick: "PREMISES PROTECTED BY ABJECT POVERTY"
(The other fellow I knew who had stereo theft problems simply had a lot of conversations with his insurance company.)

Tom and Ray Magliozzi related a story about a battery theft problem. I think it was Tom who was living in NYC, and the battery in his car was stolen. So he went down to the junkyard and bought a nearly-dead battery and put it in. The next day, he goes down to find his windshield smashed. Apparently the thief didn't like the note Tom left, "HA HA @$$HOLE! STEAL THIS!"

C. D. Keth
24-Aug-2012, 12:59
If I leave anything in my car, which is very rare and usually just for the duration of a meal or something similar, I make it abundantly clear that the theft would not be easy nor fast. I keep the vehicle and everything else obviously locked. I keep everything in pelican cases that aren't clearly labelled as camera equipment with large visible locks, and I keep the pelican cases cable locked together either to the seat structure, a steel tie-down loop in the back, or a 20lb or so kettle bell. I also don't leave anything else out (no phone, GPS, phone charger, etc) where a would-be thief can size up the car's contents. I figure that if there's nothing obvious to take, then most people won't risk breaking in for fear of there being no reward. I also try to park somewhere busy and/or within view of my table at a restaurant if that's where I am. There are usually enough cars around with easy stuff to take that a difficult one will be passed over.

jp
24-Aug-2012, 14:37
A Carpenter I once worked with on a construction job had trouble with people taking his tools. He took a can of spray paint and painted everything hot pink. He claimed he never had a tool stolen again.

Can you all just picture a hot pink Deardorff?

How about a pink B&J? It looks a little better than grungy gray...

http://jason.philbrook.us/gallery3/var/resizes/2010/album198/DSC9087.jpg

Andre Noble
31-Aug-2012, 08:29
#7 is Key (7. No address on my web postings, website, I have a PO Box, and get B&H shipments at my wife's work which is open 9-5.)

EVERYONE knows what's inside a UPS shipment from B&H!