PDA

View Full Version : Experience with studio stands

Scott Davis
29-Dec-2010, 11:54
Hi all -

I'm developing a need for a studio stand - not the kind that I have with my Century Master portrait camera, but the 7'+ tall pole with a cross-arm type. I'm willing to take my time finding one, but I'd like to get some input as to what to look for. What are peoples' experiences with them? I think currently there's about four major brands selling them - Calumet/Cambo, FOBA, Manfrotto and Delta1/Arkay. My needs in a stand are:

* something that can support anything I have camera-wise (biggest by size is the Canham 14x17, biggest by weight is probably the Watson 12x15 - the Watson is probably 5lbs heavier than the Canham, but I've never weighed it).

* something that will have controllable lateral movement of the horizontal cross-bar

* I'd prefer something that has one-touch wheel locking and that is easy to slide in one direction only, but I can give that up if it's a budget-breaker

I'll leave budget out of the consideration for now because I'd be perfectly happy to find a cheaper stand, but if I won't be happy with a new less-expensive stand, I'd rather bide my time to find a better used stand, or eventually just get frustrated and buy a new one with all the features.

Brian K
29-Dec-2010, 13:51
I've owned Foba, Toyo, Calumet and Fatif camera stands. Of that group the best is the Foba. Of the Foba's I've owned Astios and Asabas.

I still have the Astio. It will hold pretty much anything you have. I've used it with 8x10 Sinar P2 expolux, with the dual clamp base rail and 36" rail, 360mm Sironar-s, the masking compendium shade attached to a multi standard, and a video camera mounted on another multi standard looking through the GG for remote viewing. It took the weight of all of that with no issues at all, day in and day out. And it's rock solid.

bob carnie
29-Dec-2010, 14:37
Scott

I would suggest phoning a bunch of commercial photographers in your area, I have two of them here at my place , they are big and ugly but really sturdy.
We get called every 6 month or so with someone trying to get rid of studio gear including these big stands. Not a lot of commercial photographers wanting to pay the big rent these days with dwindling shoots.

Jim C.
29-Dec-2010, 16:15
I have an old Arkay stand and I don't think their design has changed much,
so rule that one out if you're looking for lateral arm movement.
There are times where I wished that I had that on my Arkay,

The Cambo and the Foba stands do have that capability, there is currently
one on the 'Bay, it's a 9 footer.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
29-Dec-2010, 16:26
Scott,

I don't know about DC, but here in Portland I have seen four or five of the big stands for sale pretty cheaply (<$500) over the past six months on craigslist. I went to look at a Foba Asaba which I would have bought except it was 4" too tall for my studio space. The Foba was very sturdy, and would have held my 11x14 field. It was not quite as sturdy as the twin pole Deardorff stand I ended up getting, but those are different beasts, and the Deardorff does not have horizontal movement. Also, IIRC, the horizontal movement is an add-on. Foba has lots of add-ons, and they are confusing.

Frank Petronio
29-Dec-2010, 19:28
Don't forget the old Linhof stands. Nice one on eBay now, but of course the distance and delivery are the big questions....

cowanw
5-Jan-2011, 17:14
A few years back I drove to Sleepy Hollow around the ?north of New york and picked up an ebay win, which was an Ascorlight stand; two posts 7 feet high with the movements you require. It was apparently used by the photographer of the baseball hall of fame probably in the 1960'. I can not find an ebay thread on the thing but if you find one It will do nicely.
Regards
Bill

Peter De Smidt
5-Jan-2011, 23:07
I'd avoid the Arkay ones. The nicest I've used was a Foba.

Frank Petronio
6-Jan-2011, 00:16
I've had the Arkay too, it is fine for 4x5 used carefully, it is a tippy, lighter duty stand compared to the other brands.

Then again, they usually are free or at least under $100. If you're not doing anything "pointing down" and keep the camera balanced and level, it works for 8x10.

cjbroadbent
6-Jan-2011, 00:45
I've had column+arm stands and column stands and I shoot 8x10.
Arm stands are sometimes convenient but are less stable than a plain column. A column-less tripod is the most stable support for a large camera but the legs get kicked.
The best stands I have had are the old beige Linhof column (looks like dentist equipment) and the Cambo column.

Nortega
12-Jan-2011, 17:50
We used a 12' CAMBO UST for our main studio rig. Was fast to change setup & position. Only problem I've ever had with it... is reselling it. :)

If you live in Florida you can come demo mine.

Scott Davis
1-Mar-2011, 12:22
Anyone here familiar with the INKA stands? I found one reasonably close to my house for a pittance, and it LOOKS beefy enough. Any experience with them would be much appreciated.