PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Wista 45D

Jamie123
27-Dec-2010, 03:20
I'm thinking of buying a Wista 45D as my first LF camera. What can you tell me about this camera? Any drawbacks or peculiarities I should know about? I know it doesn't have front swing, but has rear swing. Is that a problem? Are there any limitations to this camera compared with some of the cheaper LF field cameras like, say, a Chamonix 45N-2?

Louis Pacilla
27-Dec-2010, 07:29
Hi There

Did you do a forum search of the Wista 45D? The Wista 45D has been around for a long time. There should be a lot of info already available right here.

I would do a search for "Wista" not "Wista 45D". This will yield more results.

Jamie123
27-Dec-2010, 08:28
I did but there's surprisingly little information about them. Most of what I see is about the wooden Wista cameras. Anyways, I was just curious if anyone could tell me a little about it. I'm actually about to buy one and the seller has been quite helpful in answering my questions.

Noah A
27-Dec-2010, 10:07
I've never used the D model but I got a Wista 45VX not too long ago. I love it so far, it's compact, tough and very quick to set up. It folds with some lenses mounted.

The geared front rise and front tilt are nice to have since they're the movements I use most often. In general it feels very precise and everything locks down nice and tight.

I only have a few minor complaints. I'd love some front drop without having to drop the bed. Because the tripod mount is on the bed, it means re-leveling the camera.

Speaking of leveling, the bubble level is not accurate at all in my camera. And even if it were, it's the circular kind and it's sunken into the top of the camera, so if the camera is at eye level it's impossible to see.

Finally, when using front rise the back vignettes the corners just a tiny bit. It's a relatively small issue, but if you print full-frame it could be a problem. I don't know if other small field cameras exhibit this problem.

Despite these flaws, I love the camera and will probably stick with it. It's great for travel and great for setting up quickly, which is important in the urban areas I normally work in.

Jamie123
27-Dec-2010, 12:19
What's a reasonalbe price for a 45D?

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2010, 12:37
The D has been out of production for a long time. If you are concerned about possible future repairs and parts availability you should consider a SP, RF or VX over the D. These are the last of the metal folding Wista cameras so have the greatest availaility of parts and accessories.

Jamie123
27-Dec-2010, 13:08
The D has been out of production for a long time. If you are concerned about possible future repairs and parts availability you should consider a SP, RF or VX over the D. These are the last of the metal folding Wista cameras so have the greatest availaility of parts and accessories.

So would $550 be too much for a used 45D in good working condition??

Bob Salomon
27-Dec-2010, 13:36
So would $550 be too much for a used 45D in good working condition??

"Good" condition does sounds like something with a lot of mileage on it. Only if you can have a service center check it out to see if it is still in factory spec.

kleinbatavia
25-May-2015, 10:44
Wow, I'm about 5 years late to the party... That said, I have used many wistas and can highly recommend the 45D. I also have an SP, but only use it sporadically when I need front swing. The geared tilt is nice, but overall, the 45D is lighter. Mine sees intensive use, nothing ever broke (on any of my wistas).