PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on Nikon 9000 scanners

Allen in Montreal
24-Dec-2010, 13:17
We all know that Nikon has stopped production of the 9000 roll film scanner.
Nikon Canada had 12 in stock.

I ordered one, and so did someone else at CamtecPhoto, 2 arrived this week. So there are 10 left.
Retail was $2500 cdn, not great but not too bad. Once Freestyle ran out at $2100 they seem to have jumped way up.

Just a heads up if you are thinking about a LS-9000.

Oren Grad
24-Dec-2010, 13:47
Just to underline, within the past few weeks Nikon Japan has finally moved the 9000 to the "discontinued products" section of its website. So it's for real this time.

JPlomley
24-Dec-2010, 18:22
Terrific scanner for the money. I highly recommend Silverfast AI studio for best performance.

Jim Bradley
24-Dec-2010, 18:48
Just got mine from the Camera Store in Calgary. Bit higher than your price but lower than Vistek. No one on Vancouver/Victoria had one.
Merry Christmas to me:D

JGB

Ken Lee
24-Dec-2010, 23:13
"We all know that Nikon has stopped production of the 9000 roll film scanner".

Is there a web page or official announcement to which you can point ?

Oren Grad
25-Dec-2010, 00:01
http://www.nikon-image.com/products/discontinue/others/

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Film-Scanners/9237/Super-COOLSCAN-9000-ED.html

Peter Mounier
25-Dec-2010, 00:29
Not exactly an announcement, but from the Nikon site in Malaysia...
http://www.nikon.com.my/productitem.php?pid=55-b44f274e94

Peter

losheng
25-Dec-2010, 08:53
I managed to get mine from Amazon for USD2199, after just a few weeks' of waiting. If anyone is still looking for one, it might worth a shot there!

Allen in Montreal
25-Dec-2010, 09:44
Just to underline, within the past few weeks Nikon Japan has finally moved the 9000 to the "discontinued products" section of its website. So it's for real this time.

Sad but true, I had been sitting on the fence for a long while, but I called Nikon Canada when I heard it was the final run, sure enough, they confirmed it was done and they had 12 in stock so I fell off the fence and took one! :)

Terrific scanner for the money. I highly recommend Silverfast AI studio for best performance.

Thanks for the tip, having seen some the brilliant prints you made from your scans, I will look in to that!

Just got mine from the Camera Store in Calgary. Bit higher than your price but lower than Vistek. No one on Vancouver/Victoria had one.
Merry Christmas to me:D

JGB

Merry Christmas to you indeed. Vistek.....don't get me started....:mad: :mad:

I managed to get mine from Amazon for USD2199, after just a few weeks' of waiting. If anyone is still looking for one, it might worth a shot there!

I tried Amazon as the CDN dollar was almost at par with the US dollar, but they would not ship to Canada. Camtec is my main shop, I like the owner and he is on the floor everyday, and he gave me a better price than Canada's B+H wannabe (Vistek).

Ron McElroy
26-Dec-2010, 07:50

I just checked Amazon and found only 1 listed for $5999 :eek:

Matus Kalisky
26-Dec-2010, 08:34
Well, over at RFF a representative from Plustek did give a very good impression as he openly joined the discussions and gave some helpful answers. Many voices asked about the possibility of plustek introducing a 120 film scanner, of course. His answer was that "I can tell you that we are well aware of the need for a high quality, reasonably priced 120 film scanner". Let's hope that this "awareness" will materialize at some point.

In the 35mm scanners it seems that the Plustek 7600i does a decent job (getting close to Nikon Coolscan V in performance) based on review by Luminous Landscape (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/scanners/plustek.shtml) (follow the link to PDF at the bottom of the page.

I could be able to get the Coolscan in a year or two, but that will be obviously too late, for now my Microtek F1 must do the job ...

Allen in Montreal
21-Feb-2011, 18:42
I see someone in the US has bought 2 from Canada and is selling them on the evil for close to 4.5 K.
The price on the evil is over 4k for a new one,
Man I wish I had bought two so the sale of one could have subsidized the other! :D

Fred L
21-Feb-2011, 19:13
For that price, I'd be tempted to go in debt a little more and get an Imacon. Passed on a couple of 8000ed's and hope I don't regret that.

Ken Lee
23-Feb-2011, 14:59
At this point, such a scanner only appeals to those with deep pockets, those who can expense/depreciate purchases over time, those with a lot of Medium Format and 35mm slides and negatives in need of scanning.

If all three, then better to get a real high-end scanner which can accommodate film that is larger, not just Medium Format. Now we're getting up towards the $10,000 mark.

How about an 18 megapixel camera, some balanced lighting, and a good macro lens ? One could make such a kit nowadays for less than $5,000 - and you'd have a camera for other purposes too, no ?

If the lens gets you in close enough, you could stitch - and thus get an even larger file.

Peter De Smidt
2-Mar-2011, 22:01
A good used Howtek or pro flatbed could cost much less than $10,000.

vinny
2-Mar-2011, 22:56
I own two drum scanners. The first was $227, $100 for the second. Both came with drums, mounting stations, and macs loaded with software.

pinup tragic
28-Oct-2011, 23:48
I managed to get a 9000 ED possibly the last one in OZ - first impressions are - there is a steep learning curve :) I have an Epson V700 and love the easy Epson Scan interface.
Nikon Scan is a whole new ballgame.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/083/782/Catsgotreal.jpg?1318992465

photoSmart42
29-Oct-2011, 07:31
I bought a Screen Cezanne for $1000. No way the Nikon is worth the price tag.

Noah A
29-Oct-2011, 10:01
The Nikon is a great scanner with really, really poor film handling. The stock holder are useless and even the glass carrier isn't great.

If you can somehow keep the film flat, the scans are very, very good. But in my experience it's quite a hassle.

For $4k you can probably find a decent drum scanner or high-end flatbed, and I'd recommend either over the Nikon, at least at those inflated prices.

Frank Petronio
29-Oct-2011, 10:16
But it fits on your desk and you'll be able to use VueScan with it forever.... Noticed the prices on actual completed sales on eBay have settled in around $3000, although some people ask for a lot more.

pinup tragic
29-Oct-2011, 12:34
I don't think i have seen anything aftermarket for film holders for the Nikon - the Betterscanning MF film holders are good with the V700 - a comparison scan between the two would be very interesting.
I would be in heaven and hell with a decent drum scanner - heaven for me and the wife sends me to hell :) Not cheap downunder by any means, even if you can find a good one a Heidelberg Tango for 9K is is a little out of reach.
Thanks for the input.

rdenney
30-Oct-2011, 20:41
I don't think i have seen anything aftermarket for film holders for the Nikon - the Betterscanning MF film holders are good with the V700 - a comparison scan between the two would be very interesting.

The main reason you need the improved holders for the Epson is that moving the film is only way to focus it. The Nikon, howeber, can be focused by the scanning software. VueScan will allow you to set your focus point and focus manually if you choose.

The stock glassless film holder grabs the film by the edges using grippy stuff. You then stretch the film across its width and lock the holder in place. There is a trick to it, but it really does work better than the glass carrier. I've never been able to use my glass carrier without getting Newton rings. I'm back to the original holder now that I've learned the trick. The original holder will hold an entire strip of 3 6x6 frames, too. Thus, I can scan both ends of a 6x12 frame without having to reposition the film or even remove the film holder from the scanner. That means the two images are perfectly aligned. Photoshop can stitch them together without having to move any pixels around.

Yes, I wish the Nikon holder was less fiddly. But it's a better scanner than the Epson. The Nikon performs a bit better at 4000 than the Epson does at 2400, and the Nikon has better dynamic range. Neither is as good as a drum scan, but they are vastly easier to live with.

Rick "whose wife would be only one impediment to making decent use of a drum scanner" Denney

urs0polar
30-Oct-2011, 21:56
I have both the Epson V700 and the Nikon 9000. There's no comparison. I have the betterscanning holder for the V700, and I mount to glass on the 9000. Even without glass on the 9000, it is way better than the V700 for 35mm and MF (color, dynamic range, ability to get info out of dense negs). Yes, all that even with the stock holder. Of course, it doesn't do 4x5 or 8x10, which is the only reason I still own a V700. Is the 9000 worth $3k? I don't know; I bought mine for $2300 2 years ago.

I love how people say why worry when you can get screen cezanne's for $1000, 2 drum scanners for $100/$200 each (including the ancient Mac too in perfect working condition, no doubt), as if we LF'ers can just stumble upon a deal like that and everything magically works perfectly. I might be wrong, but i'd bet that deals like that were in abundance only when the big professional shops were ditching their drum scanners / pro flatbeds during the first decent DSLR days, and you happened to be prescient in your awareness of exactly what was what.

Nowadays for a nice 4000dpi scan, there are very few options. 1) pay a lot for something that's 15 years old on eBay and hope it even lights up when you plug it in, or 2) bite the bullet and get the nikon or higher.

PLEASE someone prove me wrong! I'll definitely pay you $150 for your completely working Aztek.

Corran
30-Oct-2011, 22:48
I sold my 8000 at what might have been the peak of the market. There seems to be a few on ebay for around $1200, just without the glass MF holder, which is significantly cheaper than they were a few months ago. If you don't need that they would be an excellent buy. I still miss mine for 35mm but I get along fine with a Minolta Dimage IV.

Sevo
30-Oct-2011, 23:44
I might be wrong, but i'd bet that deals like that were in abundance only when the big professional shops were ditching their drum scanners / pro flatbeds during the first decent DSLR days,

Maybe if you were involved with any lab ditching its scanners... While I found or have been offered a few for scrap value, they were, in fact, scrap value - i.e. missing a crate full of small moveable key parts not available from the maker any more. And as the same bits are missing from just about every scanner (either removed for spares for the remaining system, or thrown into the garbage while the big frame was carried off separately), these tend to be near unobtainable.

Frank Petronio
31-Oct-2011, 05:10
Agreed about the amazing bargain drums and high-end flatbeds... the cost is in your time spent assembling and testing. Plus they need a lot of office or studio space, another workstation area at least.

The Hasselblad Imacons will probably be the last professional option, I am surprised they are not mentioned more on this forum?

I use an old Minolta for 35mm and an Epson for large film. Medium format gets squeezed out of the equation, it really needs a Coolscan or an Imacon to get in the ballpark. I did get OK Epson scans from 6x9 for 11x14 inkjets but I know I was not getting the best quality I could.

Noah A
31-Oct-2011, 06:38
Buying a used drum scanner or old high-end flatbed isn't as easy as some would suggest, but it can be done. I paid a lot more than $100 for my Howtek, but I paid quite a bit less than what some used Imacon/Hasselblads are going for and not much more than what Nikon LS9000s are actually selling for. I bought it from a local photographer, got an afternoon of free training, and of course the thing worked.

But it can be a headache too. Repair can be difficult and/or expensive and sometimes impossible. The scanners do require a lot of space. I haven't found the mounting and fluids to be messy as some say, if you spill any they pretty much evaporate on contact. But it is a different level of commitment.

However, I was working with the LS9000 after my trip to Lima last year and I ended up scanning each photo two or three times. I mistakenly scanned the first batch and only checked the focus in the center. When I was done scanning (around 100 photos) I realized that the edges were soft due to the bad carrier. I did a LOT of fiddling with the scanner to get sharp scans across the entire frame.

With the drum scanner, I can load up the drum with 4-4x5 negs or 9-6x7 negs (loading it up takes maybe 5 minutes). I can do a prescan, make my adjustments and then leave leave while the machine batch-scans all the film. The scans are always sharp the first time, they take much less time to clean up, and the quality is first-rate.

As someone who does this for a living, I value my time. And while the Howtek took some initial research and setup time, it's much more efficient now because of the batch scanning and the fact that I rarely, if ever, have to make a re-scan.

I've made 40x50in. prints from 6x7cm. Portra scanned on the LS9000 and they were very good. The drum scans are better, but really only to a critical eye.

But now that the LS9000 is approaching the price of a good used drum scanner, it's looking like less of a deal.

The Imacon/Hasselblad scanners are very good. I've used an X1 and the scans are better than the Nikon and they print very well. They're a bit limited in resolution with 4x5, but for MF they're great. They're a bit pricey though even on the used market.