PDA

View Full Version : Need your help in selection of a lighter/travelling tripod + head for 4x5 field use?

l2oBiN
18-Dec-2010, 18:18
I am currently using a gitzo 2531ex with the rrs bh55 ballhead.

I am looking for a tripod and head combination that will be much easier to travel/hike with and be sufficient to support a 4x5 wooden field camera with lenses ranging from 90mm to 300mm. The head has to have an arca swiss type clamp.

I woul prefer a tripod from the Gitzo range and a head from really right stuff because I am confident of their quality, but I am open to other suggestions as well.

jonathan_lipkin
19-Dec-2010, 09:31
I just bought a carbon fiber tripod from Manfrotto which I really like for my Toyo field. It's very fast to set up (I don't like the twist style releases on the Gitzo) and sturdy. I hang my pack from it to give it a bit of weight.

Jeffrey Sipress
19-Dec-2010, 11:24
I don't know how light you want to go and what camera you use. Plus there are differing opinions about the stability of any given tripod. All I can share is my own experience.

I hike, and backpack. This year I spent an entire day in the Narrows in Zion NP. I used my Ebony SV45U and supported it with a Gitzo GT 1541T and a RRS BH-30 ball head. I also used my heavy Canon 1DsIII on it. I was usually standing in the flowing river and it was stable enough, but I would not go any lighter than this setup. For me, the size, weight, and function was perfect.

Matus Kalisky
19-Dec-2010, 14:09
When I was looking for a very similar outfit my budget did not allow for a Gizto and Acratech (or RRS, or Arca). So I got the Feisol Tournament (4 section legs) and Photo-Clam ball head - and both serve me well over last 2 years. I would buy them again. The tripod is stable, the ball head is smooth - and the total weight is about 3 pounds. I know - very light, but that was important for me (carry on, backpacking ... ).

Jeff Keller
21-Dec-2010, 19:39
It looks like you could save 1 lb by using a GT2541 (center rapid column) rather than the angle adjustable GT2531. I've only used the smallest RRS ballhead. I found Acratech to be smoother. You could save almost another 1 lb by using an Acratech head instead of your BH55.
I've used the Acratech head + G1227 CF tripod with a Tamron 400/4 with 1.4x TC and been quite satisfied with its stability. Those legs couldn't handle a long heavy 1000 f11 with an SLR in a strong wind. I've gone to a 3 series CF tripod (3.8 lbs, no center column, 3541LS).

Brian Ellis
21-Dec-2010, 20:18
Some version of a Feisol is probably the way to go for quality construction, carbon fiber, and inexpensive (relative to Gitzo et al). I've been very pleased with mine.

I have the RRS BH40 ball head with an Arca style clamp and an Arca style quick release plate made by Kirk. I'd like the BH55 for my 1Ds Mark III digital camera because of the long lenses I use with it. The middle version worked fine with my Chamonix when I tried it and is lighter than the BH55. If you're interested in trading your BH55 for my BH40 and Arca plate plus cash send me an email message.

Bill_1856
21-Dec-2010, 20:53
The weight of the legs is pretty much the same for the several different brands with similar specs (and wildly varying prices), but it's difficult to find a head that doesn't trip the scales right back up there to damn near a 40 year old Tiltall (under 6 pounds). That's spending an awful lot of money just to save a pound or two.

jeroldharter
21-Dec-2010, 22:58
I have two Feisol tripods, one of the large ones for 8x10 and one of the smaller ones for hiking with a 4x5. Excellent tripods. I bought mine from Kerry Thalman and he can give you informed advice. In the past, I have used Manfrotto, Gitzo, and Berlebach tripods. I would buy Feisol again.

For a tripod head, it is hard to go wrong with Acratech or Arca. I have had both and prefer Arca although I think the Acratech is slightly lighter if you are counting ounces carefully. At one point, I thought about using just a leveling base but it was not that much lighter than a complete ball head and has some limitations.

SMBooth
23-Dec-2010, 18:40
Adding my 2cents, i use a Velbron CF630 and Arcatech G2 head, for my Wista field. Weighs in at 2kg, without camera.

bobc
23-Dec-2010, 21:16
I've been using a modified Gitzo 1228 and Acratech Ultimate for years and love the combination. total weight: 3lbs. 14 oz.

KEH has a big sale on Benro tripods, including carbon fiber ones. These are made in China but are quite well made, according to many who have posted on other sites. Worth checking out as the prices are impressive.

Cheers,

mandoman7
23-Dec-2010, 23:06
I have a feisol (3342?) with an acratech ball head. Its incredibly light and smooth working. The Feisol has surprisingly good build quality when priced next to Gitzo's. There's a hook that I keep on the center column for hanging the backpack when more weight is needed. I use it with a Chamonix 45n-1, and the combination is lighter than some of my lenses alone! :)

kodioneill
27-Dec-2010, 11:43
I have a Induro c 413 carbon fiber and a Induro ball head, love them both. Lightweight, strong and sturdy.