PDA

View Full Version : Newby to LF - Need advice on specific tripod for 4x5 Field Camera

bens0472
12-Dec-2010, 09:59
Hi,

I shoot primarily digital, w/ D70, D3100 and, soon, a D700. The largest lens I ever have on my gear is a 70-200/2.8. I've been looking into tripods and have the opportunity to buy a good-condition, used Gitzo 1257 CF Mountaineer at a good price. The catch is that I want whatever tripod I buy to be sufficient to occasionally support a wooden, 4x5 field camera. I've been wanting to get into LF w/ a 4x5 camera for some time and have finally made the decision to begin saving to purchase one this year. I don't intend for it to be my primary tool and doubt I'll have the time to use it and develop the film more than 9-10 times per year. So, I'm torn between the 1257, which seems like it would be reasonably sufficient for a 4x5 and more than sufficient for my digital kit or getting something in the gitzo 3-series CF mountaineer series to ensure that I have proper support for the 4x5.

Advice?

Thanks,
Ben

msk2193
12-Dec-2010, 10:30
Ben,

That Mountaineer should do well with a 4x5 or even a 5x7. Get a sturdy ball or multi-axis head with large enough of a plate to support the weight and you're all set.

The hook underneath the vertical rod can be used to hang something heavy on it if wind conditions require something extra to stabilize the tripod.

Gitzo will tell you that the least amount of vibration is transferred from the ground to the camera if you position the center rod up some 4 inches. This holds true for your digital works as well as the large format film work. In your dSLR work, it will also minimize the vibration waves of your mirror slap.

Joanna Carter
12-Dec-2010, 11:37
My advice would be that the '1' series tripod is too light for 4x5 but that the '3' series is not really necessary. I have a Gitzo 2531LVL with a Manfrotto 410 head, which has been perfectly adequate for the past few years, and is not too cumbersome for digi use as well.