PDA

View Full Version : Any experince with this old school 8x10 film washer?

Allen in Montreal
11-Dec-2010, 22:50
I have not used one of these, have seen them before, but never in action.
They strike me as being a huge waste of water, but does anyone have any experience with these?

3 1/2 gallon stainless stank with a trap door to drain, it was set up with a hose that would give decent turbulence as the tank filled, and then manually drained every X number of minutes.

John Kasaian
11-Dec-2010, 22:56
Nope. I use a Versa-Lab washer and use the drain tube to irrigate the Landscaping.

Allen in Montreal
12-Dec-2010, 09:21
John,

Great water management. Bravo!

Being a city dweller, I have no landscape to water.
In my next loft I hope to have the darkroom sink exhaust water fuel the toilets in the loft.
Since no serious amount of chemical goes down the drain, it is only rinse water from prints, film and rinsing trays, it should make a good second use of darkroom water.

I am curious as to how efficient this large tank with a simple drain as a wash method was.

John Kasaian
12-Dec-2010, 10:55
I recall the thread somewhere around here on how man water exchanges it takes to wash film. The more excess water in the tray or tank, the more waste & expense(especially if you're on a water meter) which is why I went to the Versa Lab since it racks the sheets vertically. If you constructed some sort of rack to hold the film vertically in that tank I'd suspect you'd get better usage.
Of course you could just spread your negs on the floor of a shower stall and let 'er rip!;) (I've done that---I don't know how archival the results were but it seemed to work well, just don't let the negs seal off the drain or you'll be having an interesting discussion with your landlord when the shower overflows!)

John Jarosz
12-Dec-2010, 11:20
I recall (by my memory, nothing printed to back this up) that back in the day, Leitz recommended that negatives that were separated from each other and in a tank of still water that would be emptied and refilled in thirty minute intervals would achieve an archival condition after 3 changes.

John

Allen in Montreal
12-Dec-2010, 11:56
Of course you could just spread your negs on the floor of a shower stall and let 'er rip!;) (I've done that---I don't know how archival the results were but it seemed to work well,......

That would make a picture to keep in the "hero shot" folder.
I think it was Merg who once posted a great image of one the Westons washing prints in a creak!
No matter what method any of us here use, we are all spoiled rotten! :)

I use a gravity works for roll film, and sheet film to 5x7. We are not on meters yet but the city plans to put every business on a meter first and then homes after that. Our water consumption is said to be high on a per capita basis, but the infrastructure is so old and decrepit that as much as 75 percent leaks into the ground in the oldest parts of the city!! The waters main on Park ave that is being replaced now is 100 years old!
I would bet are actual consumption is not out of line at all once that waste is dealt with.

This tank is made by Leedal, it takes 8x10 holders, 4up, 5x7 holders turned 90 degrees and the multi roll baskets.
I will play with a little but a Versalab is on my wish list for 8x10.