PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 617 SIII 72mm XL - Looking to see what shade to use

pamnalex
30-May-2002, 11:58
I have alinhof 617S III w/ 72mm XL and would like to know if anyone has any idea s on what shade I can use. Beeing that it is on a 617 the angle of view is over 100 degrees and the diameter w/CF is 110mm. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Eugene
30-May-2002, 15:44
Dean, unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find a lenshade for a 72mm wide angle lens that really is effective and won't vignette. Since you cannot check the groundglass, just shade the lens with a wide brimmed hat, or the equivalent, and hope for the best.

Bob Salomon
30-May-2002, 18:40
There is no lenshade for either the 90 or the 72mm that will not vignette and that would provide protection.

You need to block the sunlight with your hand, hat or a gobo.

Cesar Barreto
31-May-2002, 16:57
Dean,

The same question came to me last year and I made myself a prototype hood for my 90mm lens. It looks awful, but works fine. With cardboard I cut four panels shapped so to have angled sides and glued them to black cloth. A piece of Velcro ties both ends. This foldable piece can be mounted around a Lee holder or anything that fits the lens and shows square sides. The advantages of this clumsy solution come from not using the filter thread, leaving room for my bulky Schneided CF,no vignetting and still permit some sort of see-through viewing. It's also quite easy to carry around. Although not so fun to use, but my lens/camera kit suffers from horrible flare and I can't even think not using some kind of hood. Of course, if Lee, Lindhal or anybody else would design some clever solution I'd rather prefer to use theirs... If this description comes to be uncomprehensible, I could try to draw and send it to you by e-mail. Or to anyone who thinks it's worth the trouble.

Good luck. Cesar B.

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2002, 00:35
"The same question came to me last year and I made myself a prototype hood for my 90mm lens"

On a 4x5 camera or a 617 Technorama?

It is very difficult, if not impossible to make an effective hood for a 2.25 x 6.75" format like the T617 with the 90 or the 72 that won't vignette. And the asker has the 72.

Cesar Barreto
1-Jun-2002, 14:38
Bob,

I made it for the Linhof 617, with 90/5.6 lens, but I suppose it could also be done for any lens. Panels would be more angled, maybe shorter, but the main concept should work anyway. Considering that most of the light cone inside the camera is quite useless, any shade on top and botton side will be rather welcome. Even a grotesque project like mine.

Cesar B.

pamnalex
2-Jun-2002, 09:59
I really appreciate the feedback. Question, Hasselblad x-pan made a shade for the 30mm which is almost 100 degree angle of view. I know this is a diffrent system, but the angle of view is almost the same. Fuji made it for the 90mm 617 systm which has an angle of vie of 90 degrees, why is it Linhof, as reputable as they are, has not made shades for there lenses on this system? I just find this hard to believe. If anyone comes up with a solution I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help.

Bob Salomon
2-Jun-2002, 17:37
"why is it Linhof, as reputable as they are, has not made shades for there lenses on this system?"

They certainly do. They sell Heliopan hoods for both the 180 and 250mm lenses for the 617 as well as for the 135mm for the 612.

However there is no way to make an effective hood that will work without vignetting on the 72 and 90mm lenses. ESPECIALLY WITH THE CENTER FILTER.

Even with the older 617 using a CF on the 90SA and a step-up ring (very thin brass) and a convertible Heliopan rubber hood in the wide angle position vignetting could not be eliminated. And a lens this wide, was not effectvely hooded with a rubber hood anyway.

Bob Salomon
2-Jun-2002, 18:01
"and a step-up ring (very thin brass) and a convertible Heliopan rubber hood in the wide angle position vignetting could not be eliminated."

Sorry left out the size. It was the 105mm Heliopan convertible rubber lenshood.

pamnalex
12-Jun-2002, 02:35
Bob, thank you for your response. I understand a circular rubber hood on this system will vignette. If you look at Fuji's they use a rectangular shade that works conforms to the 6x17 aspect ratio and thius does not vignette. Why can't linhof do the same. This is my question...