PDA

View Full Version : sink width

gchu1970
5-Dec-2010, 17:14
I'm preparing to build my small darkroom. Considering my dark room is very narrow, only 140CM in width, I will only install a straight sink on one side and the rest of space for me to stand. What's recommended sink width do you guys recommend? Say the largest print I'm going to make is 16 X 20. The width left after installation of my sink should be enough for me to walk and operate.

Louie Powell
5-Dec-2010, 17:39
Buy your trays, and then lay them out on the floor so that you can determine the minimum footprint required to accommodate four trays (developer, stop, fix, and rinse/holding). That way, you can customize your sink to the actual requirements of your trays.

How often do you expect to make 16x20 prints? If space is a premium, and you won't be making large prints very often, you might want to plan your layout on smaller trays, and the concoct some means to stack larger trays on the rare occasions when you make larger prints.

Greg Blank
5-Dec-2010, 20:45
Having at least 6 inches around said trays is nice. Building a ply wood sink gaurantees you'll get the size you want, need and can afford in terms of space.

Buy your trays, and then lay them out on the floor so that you can determine the minimum footprint required to accommodate four trays (developer, stop, fix, and rinse/holding). That way, you can customize your sink to the actual requirements of your trays.

How often do you expect to make 16x20 prints? If space is a premium, and you won't be making large prints very often, you might want to plan your layout on smaller trays, and the concoct some means to stack larger trays on the rare occasions when you make larger prints.

jonathan_lipkin
5-Dec-2010, 21:01
I had a carpenter make a wooden sink for me out of plywood and then finished it myself using fiberglass and resin that is used to make boats. Came out great, but those fumes are killer. Louie's idea about laying out trays is a good one. 55 inches won't allow you a second fix tray, or even a water bath tray, though.

jeroldharter
5-Dec-2010, 23:02
30 inches wide by as long as possible. Any less deep and you will always wonder why you did not make it deeper when you had the chance, Any deeper and you won't be able to reach.

gchu1970
6-Dec-2010, 05:27
Thanks to all your valuable input. I will take into consideration for my preparation.

Allen in Montreal
6-Dec-2010, 06:38
I have a few sinks and find 30" to be a touch small. 36" a little large, jeroldharter is right about reaching over very large sinks. Both have 8 feet inside in length. You do not mention how long you can go in your space.
I mostly print 11x14 and the trays are a little too tight in that sink.
I would think 32 or 33 would be ideal if you are inclined to have the trays laid out in a similar fashion.
16x20 is another cup of tea all together but if you are only making the odd print that large, you can make do.

Bob C posted a great picture of his new set up.
His space is huge!