PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds (Backdrops) for Still Life Photography

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2010, 20:55
What's a good backdrop for shooting small to mid size objects such as flowers, table place settings, etc.?

My lighting equipment consists of a Medium Photofex softbox and w 1000W and 500W incandescent bulb and I also have 2 umbrellas - one shoot thru and the other opaque. I'll be shooting film (B&W, C-41 and E-6) with 35mm, 645, 6x7 and 4x5 cameras.

I have a Calumet Calumet Posing Table and a Calumet Tabletop Studio but also have access to larger table such as end-tables and coffee tables, etc.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Thomas

Drew Bedo
5-Dec-2010, 07:44
One very simple set-up is to light the subject only and leave empty space behind. The background will be so underexposed it will go dark. I have used a piece of unbleached muslen with a rough texture at times as well. I kick myself oor letting a hand hewen wooden table top get away. It had a wonderful shallow scalloped surface in an exotic wood. The table was damaged and I could have bought it at a very low price, and didn't. When I went back it had been thrown out.

One way to explore these variations is to use a digi-cam like a polaroid to try out set-ups as you shoot with your LF rig.

Frank Petronio
5-Dec-2010, 08:35
Follow Christopher Broadbrent, he paints his own backdrops and takes into account the lighting. It's hard to fault his work.

One of the things I noticed back when I did still life was that a lot of photographers went through Hell trying to recreate messed up, distressed surfaces on a table when all they had to do was look down at the floor... concrete garage floors, old wooden floors, planks, etc. have tons of character, so get low and use found surfaces.

One guy I know has a rusty old car hood, works great.

Weston used an Aluminum bowl. Very reflective surfaces can be wonderful for B&W and bowls are especially nice because of how they can affect the light.