PDA

View Full Version : Developing film with Nova Print Processor

Timo Ripatti
26-Apr-1999, 09:19
I bought a Nova Print Pod Processor just the other day. The price was so cheap that I just couldn't resist... Anyway, the processor seems to be designed exclusively for 8x10" prints, and in the manual there's no mention about processing 8x10" film with it. My view is that as long as the material doesn't get scratches it makes no differ ence what the supporting material is. Anyone with some experience?

thanks,

-Timo-

Jan erala
26-Apr-1999, 16:33
Dear Timo. I have been thinking the same; how would it be to process 8x10" slide film in a Nova processor with a Tetenal/Beseler E-6 kit. I see here one danger; the agitation. You can only move the film up and down, i4m afraid this will cause streakes, specially in the first developer.But we can4t know before somebody tries. So let here from you! I am developing my E-6 films regulary only for 4,5 to 5 minutes in in the first developer. This is not so easy with commercial labs, so it would be of great advance to do this without the mess with a one shot rotary drum.

andrea milano
28-Apr-1999, 07:08
Dear Timo, Nova makes a vertical sleeve processor which says it will do the job of developing 8"x10" films but I only saw it in a brochure, if you find out and experiment with it I'd like to be informed of you progress! Thanks and good luck! Andrea Milano

Timo Ripatti
28-Apr-1999, 08:09
I am new to this newsgroup, and I think this question has been around from time to time:

what do you folks use for developing your 8x10" film, hardware-vise?

I have a Unidrum processor which takes two 8x10"s or one 11x14", designed for color prints, and the Nova... I haven't used neither one for film yet, there's a very good commercial lab in town. All the sheet film developing tanks which I've seen are the hanger models, and they cost an arm and a leg. Plus there's no idea to mix a gallon of each chemical if I need only a few negatives or slides now and then.

How do you develop...? With trays...?

-Timo-

Jan erala
28-Apr-1999, 16:44
For the question: How do you develope..? If you develope BW, in trays of course. It4s simple,fast and clean. And absolute foolproof without streaks or other problems with uneven developments. If you develope one film a time, with a development time of 6 to 8 minutes you will process 4-5 films in one hour.

Jon Wilson
11-Mar-2010, 22:00
Has anyone used this type of system to develop prints? What pros and cons have you found?

al olson
12-Mar-2010, 15:09
I bought a Nova Print Pod Processor just the other day. The price was so cheap that I just couldn't resist... Anyway, the processor seems to be designed exclusively for 8x10" prints, and in the manual there's no mention about processing 8x10" film with it. My view is that as long as the material doesn't get scratches it makes no differ ence what the supporting material is. Anyone with some experience?

thanks,

-Timo-

I have the Nova 3-slot model for 11x14 prints. I find it very convenient. When covered, there is little degradation of the chemicals for weeks. My Nova takes about 1800 ml per slot and after around 10 prints I drain out 300 ml and replenish. I do the same if it has been several weeks since I last used it.

I find it very convenient because I can go into my darkroom at any time and make a half dozen prints without having to mix and pour chemicals. The inconvenience is draining and replacing the entire chemicals, which does not have to be done very often if you are continually replenishing.

Only if mine has sat for several months do I perform a total remix. The hassle is because the instructions say not to allow the height of any slot to be more than 500 ml higher than the others. This requires multiple pourings alternating between chemicals to bring the slots up to maximum level.

As far as developing film in concerned, I have developed 8x10 in Dektol and it works fine. However, the color from the antihalation coat comes off in the developer. Since I intend to continue using it for prints, this becomes an annoyance.

Agitation is not a problem. There is sufficient room to move the paper/film laterally. You can also move it up and down. I move mine in a circular motion or combinations of the above.

I have been looking for an 8x10 unit that I can dedicate to film using D-76.

Jon Wilson
12-Mar-2010, 16:02
I have the Nova 3-slot model for 11x14 prints. I find it very convenient. When covered, there is little degradation of the chemicals for weeks. My Nova takes about 1800 ml per slot and after around 10 prints I drain out 300 ml and replenish. I do the same if it has been several weeks since I last used it.

I find it very convenient because I can go into my darkroom at any time and make a half dozen prints without having to mix and pour chemicals. The inconvenience is draining and replacing the entire chemicals, which does not have to be done very often if you are continually replenishing.

Only if mine has sat for several months do I perform a total remix. The hassle is because the instructions say not to allow the height of any slot to be more than 500 ml higher than the others. This requires multiple pourings alternating between chemicals to bring the slots up to maximum level.

As far as developing film in concerned, I have developed 8x10 in Dektol and it works fine. However, the color from the antihalation coat comes off in the developer. Since I intend to continue using it for prints, this becomes an annoyance.

Agitation is not a problem. There is sufficient room to move the paper/film laterally. You can also move it up and down. I move mine in a circular motion or combinations of the above.

I have been looking for an 8x10 unit that I can dedicate to film using D-76.

Thank you Al. That is what I was speculating, but wasn't certain. I recently purchased from a person a unit he had designed which is conceptually like the Nova Print Process. This unit has 5 individual slots which can hold about 5 gallons of solution in each slot, developer, stop bath, fixer, hypo clear (maybe) or another fixer bath, and the last one for perhaps a toner solution. This will hold prints up to 20x24.

Jon

Shen45
12-Mar-2010, 18:43
Has anyone used this type of system to develop prints? What pros and cons have you found?

I have one Jon that I got for a "post digital price". It is the most wonderful method of processing prints. Chemistry lasts so very much longer and can easily be replenished. The heater system is very accurate. I can comfortably do 16x12 prints in mine. Mine didn;t have any print clips so I just use SS 35mm film clips for the 16x12 prints and a broad plastic clothes peg for up to 10x8. I process both Fibre and RC without any staining issues. The footprint in the darkroom is small and always ready to print.

dng88
29-May-2010, 17:51
Complete agree that if one can use tray development, it is easier, faster and got a Zen like experience as well. But I am thinking about E6 and in fact just hold a CPA as very hard to my E6 8x10 using an old CPE2 with print drum. Try ATL1500 with 1 sheet but so far not always working (does not have the "mat"). Can this be used for E6?