PDA

View Full Version : Kodachrome 25 KM, Suggestions for Processing.

Thalmees
2-Dec-2010, 03:55
Hi every body.
Appreciate any suggestion. Thanks in advance.
Kodachrome 25 KM, Exposed more than 20 years ago. Did not kept in a freezer or cooler. Assuming EI was 25.
Q1- Does push processing(may be 1/2 stop) can compensate for the time delay between exposure and processing ?
As far as I know, Dwayne’s photo offering push processing in 1/2 stop increments till 23Dec2010.
Q2- Any other suggestions for better outcome from processing of this film ?
Thanks.

edp
2-Dec-2010, 04:55
I've no idea, but this was interesting: bag of lost Kodachrome lost in the woods for 17 years wasn't bad at all.

http://www.huennebeck-online.de/foto/kodachrome/stability.html

Mark Sampson
2-Dec-2010, 06:52
Dwayne's is your only option for color processing. It's possible to develop Kodachrome as b/w, but you won't like the results. If normal processing gives you anything at all, then head for the film scanner with your slides and 'fix 'em in Photoshop'.

Thalmees
2-Dec-2010, 08:32
I've no idea, but this was interesting: bag of lost Kodachrome lost in the woods for 17 years wasn't bad at all.

http://www.huennebeck-online.de/foto/kodachrome/stability.html

Thanks edp,
Very useful link.
Considering the photos in the link you provided, I think I'll go with 1/2 stop push processing.
Any comment ?

SamReeves
2-Dec-2010, 09:31
Better get it to Dwayne's fast. I think they stop the K-14 machine at the end of the month. And then Kodachrome will be useless.

Bruce Watson
2-Dec-2010, 10:30
Better get it to Dwayne's fast. I think they stop the K-14 machine at the end of the month. And then Kodachrome will be useless.

Yup. You've got less than 30 days. Ship it to Dwayne's today. At the end of the month, there are no processing options for K-14 at all. None.

Moopheus
2-Dec-2010, 11:23
A few years ago, I came across a roll of tri-x I'd shot in the late 70s, at the bottom of a drawer of junk. Took it to a lab, and it came back fine (the gal at the counter gave me an odd look when she noticed it was a 20-exposure roll). Kodachrome isn't tri-x, I know, but I'd be willing to guess its stability is similar.

Thalmees
2-Dec-2010, 14:10
Dwayne's is your only option for color processing. It's possible to develop Kodachrome as b/w, but you won't like the results. If normal processing gives you anything at all, then head for the film scanner with your slides and 'fix 'em in Photoshop'.
Thanks Mark,
Will ask for a CD from Dwayne’s photo. High Resolution scanning(hope will get photos in the film) will be later.

Thalmees
2-Dec-2010, 14:12

Yup. You've got less than 30 days. Ship it to Dwayne's today. At the end of the month, there are no processing options for K-14 at all. None.
Sam; Bruce,
Thanks so much.

vinny
2-Dec-2010, 16:49
There's a camera of mine lost in the woods near fife lake michigan. My last roll of k64 inside. Fell out of my vest. Someone will find it in twenty years and then what?

seabird
2-Dec-2010, 19:54
There's a camera of mine lost in the woods near fife lake michigan. My last roll of k64 inside. Fell out of my vest. Someone will find it in twenty years and then what?

Then the photos will be processed using the recently rejuvenated K-14a process and presented as the long-lost "Lake Michigan" photos by either Ansel Adams or Uncle Earle ... :D

Cheers

venchka
3-Dec-2010, 15:44
I have 1989 Kodachrome 25 that was exposed & returned from Dwayne's in the last month. It was fine. Kodachrome is unique in that the color is added during processing so it is always fresh.
Dwayne's will stop push processing Dec. 23, 2010.

Kodachrome — The End of an Era

Updated: November 19, 2010

Kodachrome Status: Kodachrome Push/Pull processing will be discontinued on December 23, 2010. Any rolls requesting Push/Pull processing after this date will be processed as normal with no adjustments.

The last day of processing for all types of Kodachrome film will be December 30th, 2010. The last day Kodak will accept prepaid 35mm Kodachrome film in Europe is November 30th, 2010. Film that is not in our lab by noon on December 30th will not be processed.

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

Thalmees
4-Dec-2010, 13:00
A few years ago, I came across a roll of tri-x I'd shot in the late 70s, at the bottom of a drawer of junk. Took it to a lab, and it came back fine (the gal at the counter gave me an odd look when she noticed it was a 20-exposure roll). Kodachrome isn't tri-x, I know, but I'd be willing to guess its stability is similar.
Yes, basically its B&W film.
Thanks Moopheus.

Then the photos will be processed using the recently rejuvenated K-14a process and presented as the long-lost "Lake Michigan" photos by either Ansel Adams or Uncle Earle ... :D
Cheers
It will only need to be developed in B&W CHEMICALS.
Thanks.

I have 1989 Kodachrome 25 that was exposed & returned from Dwayne's in the last month. It was fine. Kodachrome is unique in that the color is added during processing so it is always fresh.
Dwayne's will stop push processing Dec. 23, 2010.
http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/
I can not imagine how much memories in my film. Hope it act like your film.
Thanks venchka.

Thalmees
13-Dec-2010, 07:02
The U.S. Customs is incubating shipments, thinking it will hatch some day later !!!
Another review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/labs/dwaynes.htm

rguinter
13-Dec-2010, 19:07

You'll have an heirloom that you can mount under glass and tell stories about to your grandkids....

Bob G.

Donald Qualls
20-Dec-2010, 15:31

If the film hasn't been destroyed by water seepage before it's found, and someone finds it who understands how Kodachrome worked, there's still a chance: if you can get the remjet coating off cleanly in the dark, you can process Kodachrome with B&W reversal chemistry and get scannable, if thin, slides (reversal removes the colloidal silver blue filter layer that messes up negatives from Kodachrome). I've done this, and the images were there and scanned up pretty well -- too bad the remjet on the 20+ year old film didn't come off cleanly (specks prevented full reversal exposure), but there's surely a way to do that.

William McEwen
20-Dec-2010, 15:51
I'd probably just tell Dwayne the circumstances and let him decide what's best to do.