PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Had Rear Cell Bind in Copal Shutter?

Richard K.
1-Dec-2010, 19:57
(or seize or get completely jammed and totally non-unscrewable?) What did you do?!? :confused:

I've twisted as hard as I can (with rubber gloves) and NOTHING happens (other than stabbing pains in my gut); I can ask my friend Boris but I'm afraid he may deform the barrel and crack the glass (is that even possible?!?)!!

I received the lens today from a warm climate into my cool one but I've waited 10 hours in my warm house before attempting to mount it on a board...

Gem Singer
1-Dec-2010, 21:15
Richard,

This has happened to me a few times.

When it did, I rigged a strap wrench using a Eureka rubber vacuum sweeper belt to grasp the rear element. Then, used a pair of pliers as the handle of the strap wrench.

Do not use the pliers directly on the barrel of the rear element. It will cause damage. What you need is leverage for the rubber belt.

I could never find a commercial strap wrench small enough to use on a lens element.

BTW,first remove the front lens element to prevent accidentally damaging it.

spacegoose
1-Dec-2010, 22:24
The threads might also be crossed, in which case it might be better just to leave it on.

Richard K.
1-Dec-2010, 22:31
Richard,

This has happened to me a few times.

When it did, I rigged a strap wrench using a Eureka rubber vacuum sweeper belt to grasp the rear element. Then, used a pair of pliers as the handle of the strap wrench.

Do not use the pliers directly on the barrel of the rear element. It will cause damage. What you need is leverage for the rubber belt.

I could never find a commercial strap wrench small enough to use on a lens element.

Thanks Gem, I'll try this tomorrow.

BTW,first remove the front lens element to prevent accidentally damaging it.

LOL...but it seems to be wedged on just as tight!!

The threads might also be crossed, in which case it might be better just to leave it on.

But it will work better mounted on a lens board!! :D