PDA

View Full Version : Divided A, B Development with A:Xtol B:Dilute Xtol?

l2oBiN
1-Dec-2010, 10:51
Shooting film at night, I would like to get extreme compression of the tonal values with BW film (Fomapan 100). I am using xtol for standard development in Jobo 3010 (1:1 for 5min). I was wondering whether I could use Xtol for a sort of divided developer effect by using 1:1 xtol for the first say 2-3 minutes then highlu dilute xtol (1:20?) for an additional 10? Would this work?

Robert Ley
1-Dec-2010, 10:58
Sounds interesting. Why don't you try it out and report back your results?

jim kitchen
1-Dec-2010, 13:15
Shooting film at night...

Dear I2oBiN,

This development issue was discussed several months ago and within the last two weeks, albeit with a different film, but it seems that your questions always beg a response as to whether you have checked the forum's archives. The archives are your friend... :)

Your experimentation just might be your best friend too, going forward.

jim k

Ron Marshall
1-Dec-2010, 13:52
Bruce Barnbaum describes this proceedure in "The Art of Photography".

You might try Xtol 1:0 for one minute, drain, then Xtol 1:3 with ten seconds of agitation every second or third minute. Make sure there is enough developer for the area of film you are developing.

Sirius Glass
1-Dec-2010, 17:43
Use XTOL replenished. That is replenished stock not 1:1 and you will probably not have to use the two step development.

Before you start experimenting, try all the manufacturer's options first.

Steve

Brian K
2-Dec-2010, 14:26
Highly diluted x-tol, like the 1:20 you suggest would most likely NOT work as Kodak recommends at least 100ml of stock x-tol per roll of 120 film. You'd need 2 liters of 1;20 diluted xtol for 1 roll, and the maximum quantity of liquid a Jobo is meant to handle is 1 liter.

When you say "extreme compression of tonal values" are you basically saying that you just want to increase contrast?

Sirius Glass
2-Dec-2010, 16:02
then highlu dilute xtol (1:20?) for an additional 10? Would this work?

If you dilute it 1:10,000 or 1:100,000 look at all the money you would save. Heck with dilutions like that you will not need any developer. :eek:

Steve

jeroldharter
2-Dec-2010, 19:20
You might try D13 with TMAX film for extreme contractions. I have never tried it.

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_66&products_id=603