PDA

View Full Version : Wisner Pocket expidition

e
27-May-2002, 21:37
Hi all, I was wondering as to the pros and cons of the Wisner pocket expiditions esp with their full geared movements. Durability? Breakdowns? Convienence and genera l useability? Thanks.

Georges Pelpel
27-May-2002, 22:28
I own a PE since last October. Altough it has a reputation of being a tough one to learn I found it quite simple to setup and close. I like its construction and finish. The main advantages of the PE are its relative small size and weight making it very convenient for backpacking and field work. Its bellows accomodates 450mm lenses or around 650mm tele. On the short hand you can use a 90mm without problem with the regular bellows. For shorter focals the bag bellows is recommended or a recessed board. I like the geared movements, they make one hand adjustments possible. On the negative side I wish the PE had zero position notches or clicks. There are marks on the front standard to show where the neutral settings are but you have to physically look at it to make sure the settings are proper. Clicks would have allows the settings to be able to be reached directly from below the dark cloth. I would recommend the camera if you are looking for a light and small unit with maximum bellows extension.

David G Hall
28-May-2002, 03:46
Emile,

I have the 8x10 expedition. I love it. It is light, relatively rigid, and the geared tilt is great. Every once in a while I have to be extra careful about seating the holder in the back. It can sound and feel seated and be not quite to the bottom of the back. But other than that, no problems whatsoever.

dgh

Pete Andrews
28-May-2002, 05:27
The last expedition into my pockets found nothing! ;^)

J. Wolfe
28-May-2002, 09:54
I tried a Pocket Expedition, but did not like the way the front standard set up. It was very quirky to get in place, and if you had to reset it, it was like starting over. The small size is great, but you might want to consider a Wista if the size is the main consideration and you don't need the long bellows. With the Wisners, I think the Expedition is the better line: it has long bellows, smaller size and weight, but all the movements and convenience of the TF. Good luck.

itay
30-May-2002, 07:49
testing 1 2 3

R. McDonald
30-May-2002, 08:24
Emile,

I have nothing to say except POSITIVE about my Wisner's...The first time with the first one, did require a phone call, which was very promptly returned by Mr. Wisner(I was concerned about opening and closing)who informed me that my method was correct. Now it's seems so second nature. As for "Durability", as good as any. As for "Breakdowns" I have had None. As for "convienence and general useability" well they do what they preform as designed and they work well for me. As I have told others, I'm not sure I can justify the "Full Geared Movements", but Damn,there are times when it's worth every penny. Sorry I forgot that this is "LARGE FORMAT" so that should read worth every EXTRA BIG BUCK... If you want or need more information let me know.

Mike_2329
30-May-2002, 13:21
I own an 8x10 Expedition and the camera works well but their warranty service is truly a nightmare. They have had my camera for 4 months and almost every week we get a new promise date and a different excuse for it not having been repaired and not sent back the previous promised date. I'm wondering if I will ever get it returned???

heidis
30-May-2002, 14:05
I had one for 6 months and absolutely hated it...I'd recommend it to nobody. IMO, poor design and poor construction: the back popped off nearly every time I inserted a filmholder or Quickload holder; no stops on the track, meaning that the gears would "jump off" whenever the focus knob was turned a bit too far; defective knob on receipt from the factory; other small quirky problems. Never again! I made up my mind that I didn't want another wooden camera till Jeff @ Badger introduced me to Ebony. That's what I have now, and it's truly a world of difference...a Mercedes compared to a Yugo.

e
1-Jun-2002, 17:56
Thanks for all the answers regarding the Pocket Expedition. I like geared movements and thats what makes this a possibility.I really need to see one first. Again.. Thanks all!