PDA

View Full Version : Tripod head for Dorff 5X7? - needs long mounting bolt

Bill Poole
26-Nov-2010, 17:01
Can anyone recommend a three-way head for my new (old) Deardorff 5X7 View? For the moment, I guess I will be mounting this camera on an old but indestructible Bogan 3021 leg set. But the only three-way head I have lying around in a Giottos MH 5000, which holds the camera but doesn't lock down as tightly as I would like. One thing I noticed is that the 1/4-20 receptacle on the camera requires a fairly long head bolt--the Giottos reaches by not by a whole lot, and the bolts on my Gitzo Q-R plates aren't long enough to capture the threads. I am thinking of a used Manfrotto 3057 or one of the Gitzo low-profile heads, but I worry that the mounting bolts won't be long enough Thanks for any help.

John Koehrer
26-Nov-2010, 20:37
Do you have the original thread in the camera? It's mounted from the top & is held in with three screws.
I can attach the 57 DD with QR plates that have only 3/8" exposed thread and it tightens up securely.
Check with Attrveda on the bay, he's had them listed very frequently. With images so you can check it out.

Bill Poole
27-Nov-2010, 09:49
Thanks for the tips, folks.

Ari
27-Nov-2010, 13:53
I just bought a Majestic tripod head; it can easily take an 8x10 camera, and it's geared too. It holds my metal 5x7 monorail without blinking. It's not tiny, but not that heavy either.
They're going for very cheap on Ebay these days.