PDA

View Full Version : If your had to choose one roll of paper...

Lars Daniel
22-Nov-2010, 08:49
...for your printer to take care of both your colour and BW needs, what would you choose?

The thing is, I have recently gotten a Canon IPF5100 and I just want to get a lot of printing done NOW. So no experiments with 15 different papers. And I definitely want to use roll paper. I am going to print a majority of BW, but I want something that is ok with colour also. Most prints will be framed behind glass, so "feel" and thickness may not matter so much.
So I am happy to hear some suggestions (must be available in 17" rolls) as my knowledge about paper is close to zero.
Thanks!

EDIT: I think Ilford Smooth Pearl might fit the bill. Any thoughts about that?

Lars Daniel
22-Nov-2010, 09:23
Ok, I have a local dealer that has the Permajet papers, and compared to Ilford the prices are sustancially lower. Any thought about the general quality of Permajet papers? I canīt seem to find much info on the net.

drew.saunders
22-Nov-2010, 10:19
I'm using Freestyle Arista-II Lustre (should be very similar to Ilford Pearl) for my general purpose paper, which works well for B&W and color. It'll use your "glossy" black ink. Yes, they make it in 17" rolls:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/390175-Arista-II-Photograde-Instant-Dry-Inkjet-Paper-17-inch-x-50-ft.-Roll?cat_id=3002

I imagine that price is hard to beat?

Drew

Tom Monego
22-Nov-2010, 13:27
With my Canon iPF5000 it would be Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, B&W or color look terrific on this paper with canon inks. But then I need a cheap paper to do testing, Canon Heavy Weight Gloss fits that bill, less expensive and a heavier paper than Ilford Smooth Gloss. The final piece is a nice fine art matte, I really like Parrot Digigraphics Angelica Smooth White, another one of those paper that make the Canon inks sing, like this much more than Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, the standard for this type of paper.

Tom

Greg Miller
22-Nov-2010, 13:35
Paper choice is such a personal thing. But with roll paper I would make every effort to use a paper with a 3" core rather than a 2" core. 2" core papers cause too much trouble trying to get the curl out compared to a 3" core.

Harley Goldman
22-Nov-2010, 15:29
Canson Platine Fibre Rag. It is very close in look to Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, but much, much easier to deal with. Not as rigid. Handles better and feeds better.

JeffKohn
22-Nov-2010, 15:51
...for your printer to take care of both your colour and BW needs, what would you choose?
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta. Amazing DMax, excellent color gamut. I find the surface nice (not too glossy/smooth - I don't want my prints looking like they came from the corner drug store), and the feel in the hand is also nice (more paper like and less posterboard-like than some of the other baryta/fiber-gloss papers).

This paper is particularly well suited to the Canon Lucia and Lucia EX inksets. Bronzing and gloss differential will be about as close to zero as you can get with current technology. It's not a cheap paper, but IMHO you get what you pay for.

Canson Platine Fiber Rag is very similar in look and feel, and is slightly less expensive; but my initial testing is that the dmax and gamut are not quite as good. I haven't used enough of it to comment on the bronzing/GD.

Lars Daniel
24-Nov-2010, 00:11
Thanks for your input guys.