PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Project and 8x10. Hope ?

Fred L
12-Nov-2010, 11:13
Scroll down to the bit about 8x10...very encouraging news and even if it's only black and white, I'd still be chuffed to no end.

http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/newsletters/

rdenney
12-Nov-2010, 11:43
No hope, though, for 4x5. Or for Type 55.

Rick "who had not been holding his breath" Denney

Frank Petronio
12-Nov-2010, 12:58
I think they're nothing but shysters myself, nothing they've made has been of quality, it's all marketing bullshit. They could package a turd and sell it.

William McEwen
12-Nov-2010, 16:27
I think they're nothing but shysters myself, nothing they've made has been of quality, it's all marketing bullshit. They could package a turd and sell it.

I probably would phrase it a little differently, but I believe Frank speaks the truth. Seems whatever flaws existed in the latest batch of film were turned around and heralded as cool features. Like images that fade to black overnight.

I had a sweet dream of using my original Polaroid SX-70 at least once more. But it will never happen.

Steven Tribe
12-Nov-2010, 16:37
Well, Piero Manzoni sold about fifty tins of what Frank talks about. Increasing in value as the can seals are breaking down leaving fewer intact - must be something the "artist" ate!
I have no confidence in the impossible project. Having the equipment is just not enough. Land/Polaroid used man/centuries to build up experience and this has all gone.

jb7
12-Nov-2010, 19:23

That's maybe a bit sharp; if somebody really wanted to make some money in this world,
they'd hardly choose to do it through the medium of antique instant photography-

It seems it doesn't deliver results, I haven't tried it myself-
their marketing relies on them selling whatever they produce.

Maybe someday, they will turn up with a usable product, who knows-
but to accuse them of being shysters, now, is maybe a bit harsh-
though time will tell-

ic-racer
12-Nov-2010, 19:58
I don't ever recall the 'original' stuff being all that great, only good for "Talking Heads" album covers etc. So, they are right in line with the 'art photography' market for this stuff as far as I'm concerned. :)

Fred L
12-Nov-2010, 20:09
I loved transfers with 59 or 669, wet or dry arches...that's all history now

Frank Petronio
12-Nov-2010, 22:17
I'm suspicious that their marketing is so sophisticated ~ without really giving us results ~ which is why I have called them shysters. Something is fishy with the whole operation, in terms of spending lots of money on design and branding but never really getting to a working product.

And I am in the marketing, branding, design business!

Maybe they have a wealthy benefactor or something nice like that? But I would feel better about the operation if they simply made an SX70 product that worked half as well as the old Polaroid before embarking on something else.

Armin Seeholzer
13-Nov-2010, 03:26
Frank I think they think Pola's are gone of bad marketing which is not really true, its gone because of digital cameras which also show instantly a picture and for many people replaced a Pola test shot inkluding me!
As long as I can get Fuji Polas I buy them, they are sane! But I almost don't need it anymore!

Cheers Armin

matthew klos
13-Dec-2010, 17:21
i agree, i think there products suck.

Ben Syverson
13-Dec-2010, 17:34
They're making great progress... If you compare the current films to the first ones they released, they've come a long way.

I can't wait until they release 8x10 materials. I've never had a problem with slick marketing. I'm a Mac user after all.