PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Chemistry From Bostick and Sullivan

JustinB
9-Nov-2010, 10:32
Long Story Short:
I want to get into wetplate, these guys seem to have a nice product pre-measured for me. How good is it and perhaps more importantly, will it be a good way to learn wet-plate?

Thanks!

EDIT: Include relevant link! http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=323

Vaughn
9-Nov-2010, 10:39
I will have to let others comment about the wet plate chemicals, but as far as over-all product quality and service, you will do no better than B&S.

Vaughn

eoghan
9-Nov-2010, 10:51
Its very good and a good way to get into wet plate. They supply everything you need although I prefer to use a different fixer, their default is Sodium Thiosulfate, I use ilford rapid fixer.

In addition to the chemicals you will also need some hardware, check out http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ they are very good.

JustinB
10-Nov-2010, 17:37
Thanks guys! One last question; Ideally I would like to do all my wetplate work on my current sinar f2, anyway I can get/make plate holders for the thing or is that a bit of a doomed enterprise?

cdholden
10-Nov-2010, 19:07
Pick up John Coffer's "Doer's Guide to Wet Plate Photography". that will answer most of your questions, as well as being a good re source for info later. It also shows how to make wet plate holders by modifying plate holders.

neil poulsen
10-Nov-2010, 20:47
I've always had excellent luck with them. Compared to others, they're quite reasonable. Good customer service and very helpful with advice.

eoghan
10-Nov-2010, 21:49
Thanks guys! One last question; Ideally I would like to do all my wetplate work on my current sinar f2, anyway I can get/make plate holders for the thing or is that a bit of a doomed enterprise?
Thats why I said you should check out http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ they sell the plate holders and other hardware that you will need.

JustinB
11-Nov-2010, 07:14
Thats why I said you should check out http://lundphotographics.com/shop/ they sell the plate holders and other hardware that you will need.

I didn't see it at first but now that I look back I see they will modify film holders for my use into plateholders. very cool. Thanks again!

Brian Ellis
11-Nov-2010, 07:41
As other have said, the service and chemicals are fine. But when you buy premixed you're paying considerably more than if you bought the chemicals yourself and mixed them. I don't know about wet plate but with the alt processes I did - mostly gum and Vandyke Brown - that was very easy to do once I acquired a digital scale.

Brook Martin
11-Nov-2010, 17:49
You are doing your self a disservice using premixed wetplate chemistry. B&S sell fine chemicals. Get a good manual and mix your own, if you have trouble (and you will) you can begin to remedy the problem, particularly the developer.

Cor
12-Nov-2010, 05:17
I beg to differ..I think that buying a kit for WPC work is smart, it will allow you to start off right away, and find out if WPC is your thing..or not..

Acquiring yourself ether, pure ethanol, collodion, cadium bromide etc is not easy (depending on you location) and can easily become expensive (WPC requires substantial money, silver prices have gone through the roof).

If you like it and get hooked than getting the stuff and mixing it yourself is cheaper in the end, allows you more control (and more options to fail), you can mix your own recipe.

Take in account that most people start to buy dedicated lenses (those Petzvals) and camera's after a while..and perhaps a dark box too

Have fun, and perhaps join Quinn Jacobson Wet Plate Forum (StudioQ)

Best,

Cor

Brook Martin
12-Nov-2010, 06:41
Cor, I would agree, but there have been some issues with some of the premixed stuff. Problem solving is a big part of the process, and that is pretty hard to do with everything already set.
That said, to each their own.

Cor
12-Nov-2010, 07:07
Yup, I heard too that there were issues, but i thought these were solved. AFAIK the custmer service of B&S is great.

I never bought a kit, mix everything myself. Just tried to give a reality check here, it's quite an undertaking to start WPC and I respect people embarking on it. I have a chemical background and easy access to equipment and chemistry, not sure I would have ventured so far in wet plate land without the knowledge and resources I have..

Best,

Cor

Scott Davis
12-Nov-2010, 08:01
The big advantage of ordering the B&S kit is that everything comes at once, from one supplier, who will give you advice on problem solving. I agree that doing your own in the long run is better, because you'll develop fine process control skills. However, if you order everything separately to mix yourself, it's easy to end up with way too much of certain chemicals and not enough of others, and that's hard to manage until you've got some experience under your belt with making the plates and know your burn rates on certain items. I've talked to the folks at Bostick & Sullivan before about the wet plate kits and it's my understanding that the target audience for the kit is exactly the beginner looking to try without making a major investment, not the die-hard or the experienced practitioner.

Brook Martin
12-Nov-2010, 08:05
I am sure Dana and co have got the bugs out. The kits with the camera and all are pretty cool.

There are some real bars to entry. In some ways I think it has kept it safer. Even with the kits the price tag is prohibitive enough to keep out dabblers that may end up abandoning the chemistry. I can not imagine the hell my friends and I would have raised with a jug of collodion and silver nitrate.

OTOH, more collodion artists means stable consistent vendors and better prices for all.