PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Glenn LeBlanc
7-Nov-2010, 09:19
My first post; de-cloaking after years of lurking. Bought my first view camera in 1974 and my last one in 1998. The stock agency I make small amounts of money from no longer accepts film, so I was forced to go digital. I may be selling most of my equipment here in the future.
The question of why a single convertible lens should be used behind the shutter instead of in front comes up here now and then. I e-mailed this question to Ron Wisner on 10-18-99. Ron's website is no longer functioning, and Ron has a mixed reputation here. But Ron was an expert and knew his stuff. Many new and young members here may be unaware of him. There's some good information on his old site. My question, and his answer, are here (http://web.archive.org/web/20010211150848/wisner.com/archive.htm). You will need to "Click here for older posts" at the top of the first page. Glenn.

Vick Vickery
7-Nov-2010, 16:30
Welcome to group therepy, Glenn. :)

Vick Vickery
8-Nov-2010, 12:38
Since nobody else has ventured an answer to your question, I'll give it a try! The reason I use a single group behind the shutter is because thats the way most of the lens manufacturers have recommended it be done, and the way "AA" said to do it in the first detailed book on LF equipment I ever read ("Camera and Lens"...read it first about 40 years ago). In all that time, I've used many convertible lenses...I have three that I currently use...and I've never even tried to do it the other way around! Maybe I should have experimented a little, but I never have! One tip, though: after focusing and composing, after you stop the lens down to shooting aperature remember to go back and refocus with the lens stopped down...most convertible lenses have some degree of focus shift when stopped down using only one group. I have always thought that this was probably the reason so many folks don't get acceptable results when using converted lenses. Have fun, and good luck! Hmmm...now maybe I'll go back and see what Ron had to say! :)

Vick Vickery
8-Nov-2010, 12:43
Thanks for the link...Ron's comments were quite interesting.