PDA

View Full Version : Giottos Rocket Air Blowers The best? Any other suggestions?

l2oBiN
5-Nov-2010, 14:05
Before I fork out for one, I wanted to know whether the Giottos Rocket Air Blowers are the best and if there are other alternatives??

Jack Dahlgren
5-Nov-2010, 17:50
What sort of blowing are you planning on doing?

Lachlan 717
5-Nov-2010, 18:03
They all do the same thing.

Get a generic one.

Sirius Glass
6-Nov-2010, 06:40
Yeah, but that one looks like a rocket and stands up! ;)

Bob Salomon
6-Nov-2010, 07:26
The Rocket has a stronger blast of air, is silicon rubber that rebounds faster, thevrubber is thicker then most others, it draws air in from the bottom rather then from the nozzle so it blows dust off rather then redistribute it and the opening in the nozzle is not round so it will not whistle when it expels air. And yes, we are the USA importer and distributor of the Rockets.

D. Bryant
6-Nov-2010, 08:06
The Rocket has a stronger blast of air, is silicon rubber that rebounds faster, thevrubber is thicker then most others, it draws air in from the bottom rather then from the nozzle so it blows dust off rather then redistribute it and the opening in the nozzle is not round so it will not whistle when it expels air. And yes, we are the USA importer and distributor of the Rockets.

Bob beat me to the punch, The Rocket is a superior product in my experience and what the hell they aren't that expensive. In this case purchase the best for just a few dollars [more].

Don Bryant

Frank Petronio
6-Nov-2010, 08:24
Ditto

Bob sells good stuff

Sirius Glass
6-Nov-2010, 12:43
Yeah, but that one looks like a rocket and stands up! ;)

All Siriusness Aside, it is a great product.

Steve

Ash
6-Nov-2010, 13:56
I've had one for a couple years (or so). Totally beats the pants off generic ones.

When I was fitting a uv filter to that P67ii I bought recently, I needed to clear off the lens and filter first. I used a generic one in the shop - it blew more dust on than it removed. I used a rocket blower and it was powerful enough to blow away things stuck by static.

Matus Kalisky
6-Nov-2010, 13:57
I have one since recently - I wanted to use it to dust the negative before scanning - but the air blow is too weak for that. So I keep carefully using canned air (or whatever gas is inside). But the Rocket blower is still a nice product and is fine for blowing the rough dust off the lenses (though I use the Hama lipstick brush for this purpose when on the road, the rocket is too bulky).

Two23
6-Nov-2010, 19:19
I have the big Rocket bulb and really like it. I use it instead of canned air, and even use it as the primary way to clean the sensor on my Nikon D300.

Kent in SD

John Jarosz
7-Nov-2010, 07:46
Besides, it's the coolest looking darkroom gizmo yet.

Bob Salomon
7-Nov-2010, 09:21
I have one since recently - I wanted to use it to dust the negative before scanning - but the air blow is too weak for that. So I keep carefully using canned air (or whatever gas is inside). But the Rocket blower is still a nice product and is fine for blowing the rough dust off the lenses (though I use the Hama lipstick brush for this purpose when on the road, the rocket is too bulky).

But do you have the full sized one, the medium size one, the small size one or the Q-Ball variable angle nozzle one?

RJC
7-Nov-2010, 12:00
I've got a large rocket which sits next to my scanner and a medium size one which lives in the camera bag - couldn't recommend them more highly !

ki6mf
7-Nov-2010, 20:49
From what a photo instructor told me, and I have not verified this, the Rocket uses a chemical release agent inside the mold which helps keep particles from coming off the inside and being blown onto your film/sensor,negative etc.

John T
7-Nov-2010, 21:02
From what a photo instructor told me, and I have not verified this, the Rocket uses a chemical release agent inside the mold which helps keep particles from coming off the inside and being blown onto your film/sensor,negative etc.

All molded rubber products use a release agent to allow a smooth separation from the mold. If the rubber is released properly, there won't be any particles inside.

rguinter
8-Nov-2010, 18:51
I use the smaller Matin. They don't look as cool as a rocket but one can buy several for the price. And they also have the inlet valve on the backside.

I keep one at my desk at home and one in the office for dusting (my collection) of eyeglasses... and one in each camera kit for use in the field. Wouldn't go out without one and no worries about needing to take a loan if one gets lost.

Bob G.