PDA

View Full Version : Photo Chemical / False-Positives on Drug Tests??

J Ney
3-Nov-2010, 11:32
Kind of an off-the-wall question, has anyone heard of routine use of photo chemicals causing a false-positive drug-test?

I've heard that turpentine can mess with tests but I'm wondering if the same is true for photo chemicals.

Just curious.

dsphotog
3-Nov-2010, 13:43
Has anyone been eating poppyseed muffins in the darkroom?

J Ney
3-Nov-2010, 14:55
Has anyone been eating poppyseed muffins in the darkroom?

hahahaha... I knew there was something out there! Probably a knuckle-headed question but I figure if you are into LF photography then you probably have a curious, rambling screw loose somewhere.

J Ney
3-Nov-2010, 14:57
... and I don't mean "curious" as to drugs... I mean "curious" as to the impact of chemicals.

Oh God... time to walk away from the computer. :-(

BradS
3-Nov-2010, 15:47
I think that if somebody is drinking turpentine, then they have bigger problems than false positives on drug screening....

Steven Tribe
3-Nov-2010, 16:09
There is just no way that a HPLC or newer equipment could be confused by the fairly simple compounds used in developing - or the even simpler ones in "turpentine".

Lachlan 717
3-Nov-2010, 16:14
I wondered why my "acid" stop bath was both so expensive and only available from the shady side of town.

Eric James
3-Nov-2010, 16:29
There is just no way that a HPLC or newer equipment could be confused by the fairly simple compounds used in developing - or the even simpler ones in "turpentine".

Standard screens are by immunoassay - plenty of room for false positives there. Confirmation of positive screens are achieved with GC-MS; perhaps HPLC is used in special situations. At any rate, you're correct - there's no fooling GC-MS.

cdholden
3-Nov-2010, 19:55
I wondered why my "acid" stop bath was both so expensive and only available from the shady side of town.

Does the label on the bottle have an image of dancing bears? :D

http://www.purplemoon.com/Stickers/images/bear-strip-tophats.JPG

Ron Marshall
3-Nov-2010, 20:42
I think that if somebody is drinking turpentine, then they have bigger problems than false positives on drug screening....

I think drinking turpentine may be a sign of heavy drug use!

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2010, 07:15
I think drinking turpentine may be a sign of heavy drug use!

Yup... and after that... embalming fluid!